• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McMiller Gun Range - Good/Bad? Better options?

Passive101

I've been there before and it was a nice outdoor range. I see on their website they have a some restrictive rules.

RULE 6: NO RAPID FIRE! Allow at least one full second between rounds fired. NO EXCEPTIONS!

RULE 7: No .50 BMG, Steel Jackets, or Steel Core (hardened steel, armor piercing) ammunition allowed. (This rules out Wolf 7.62 I think)

RULE 11: Violation of any shooting range regulation is cause for dismissal from the range or for a written citation from a department law enforcement officer.

A violation of any range rule is a LE citation?! I can see illegal activity, but they are basically saying on their website a legal citation from a LE officer will be given to me if someone double taps or has an unloaded firearm pointed in the wrong direction? I am all for safety and people should be safe. I'm even OK with kicking people out for rule violations. Private company should be able to do so.

http://mcmillershootingcenter.com/rifle_pistol_range_rules.htm

What ranges in S WI will at least allow double taps? In FL I never had a range that restricted double taps.

This is probably a long shot in WI, but do any at least allow you to have a holstered firearm on you if it does not leave the holster?

ETA. If their isn't a better solution I'll have to find the best place for me to shoot. I'm near Delavan, WI.

Last edited:

Jason in WI

RULE 7: No .50 BMG, Steel Jackets, or Steel Core (hardened steel, armor piercing) ammunition allowed. (This rules out Wolf 7.62 I think)

I've never been there yet, but I found this.
From the FAQ.
Q: Does McMiller have restrictions on ammunition I can use? Yes. ammunition restrictions are but not limited to: .50 caliber BMG, hardened steel cased bullets, and hardened steel core ammo (bi metal bullets are allowed).

Looks like the Wolf should be good to go, I believe most of that stuff has bi-metal jackets. M855 that I shoot and have cases of, not so much.

ETA. If their isn't a better solution I'll have to find the best place for me to shoot. I'm near Delavan, WI.

I need to find some place cool to shot also. I was looking at the beginning of this year for a shooting club to join but everywhere I looked was more of a "club" then I wanted. I got side tracked and never found anyplace. I was planning on going to the monthly meeting of the Hartland Sportsmen Club to see about joining, even had my membership form filled out but they got shut down so I didn't go. Their rules let you holster an un-loaded, de-cocked and magazine-less pistol :eek:. Guys on other forums recommended them, I think that might be a bit of a drive from Delavan anyway. Let me know if find somewhere relaxed and family friendly, I got some firearms to break-in and ammo to burn.

kawisixer01

I've been to McMiller a bunch of times. It's a decent range and I've never had any problems. They used to have a pretty elaborate archery course set up, but they didn't really take care of it and it rapidly declined. They have a brand new pretty nice 300 yd range. I believe it was last year there was a ******* match over who was getting to run it, and I haven't been there since the new group took over. (it's owned by DNR I believe and ran by a goup). The rapid fire rate may have something to do with the neighbors. It backs up to Old World WI and has lots of hiking nearby. From what I heard was that hikers and neighbors were bitching about noise and even were asking for "quiet weekends".

LR Yote 312

I've never been there yet, but I found this.
From the FAQ.
Looks like the Wolf should be good to go, I believe most of that stuff has bi-metal jackets. M855 that I shoot and have cases of, not so much.

I think your right.

From what I understood of Wolf ammo the just cartridge case itself was steel.The bullets are copper clad fmj lead core.

I am picky about what goes in my chambers...thats why I dont use it.

Steel case to steel chamber makes me cringe.
Also the powder is too dirty burning.

Hit the website... http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

And look up the ammo you intend to use....Much of it is Berdan Primers.

VERY corrosive.

Its a free country...anybody is free to use what the want But I got too much love for my guns to use that stuff.

LR Yote

Last edited:

nevinsb

The price isn't too bad, but there aren't many other choices in the area for outdoor rifle.

AaronS

I think your right.

From what I understood of Wolf ammo the just cartridge case itself was steel.The bullets are copper clad fmj lead core.

I am picky about what goes in my chambers...thats why I dont use it.

Steel case to steel chamber makes me cringe.
Also the powder is too dirty burning.

Hit the website... http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

VERY corrosive.

Its a free country...anybody is free to use what the want But I got too much love for my guns to use that stuff.

LR Yote

I agree with you 100%
To put in the time to get good with a gun, and then to load it up with steel case steel jacket ammo also makes me cringe. I guess some don't intend to own the gun for very long?
If you got the gun for protection, feed it what it wants, or it might not work so well if you do need it. Steel on steel is just a bad idea.
Cant beat the price of the stuff though...

BTW, all of the wolf stuff I have seen in the last few years do have bullets (not just the case) that stick to a magnet. Bad stuff...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
A 24/7 shooting range?

What ranges in S WI will at least allow double taps? In FL I never had a range that restricted double taps.

This is probably a long shot in WI, but do any at least allow you to have a holstered firearm on you if it does not leave the holster?

There is a good solution in Janesville, the Rock County Rifle and Pistol Club. A member can shoot there 24/7. There are 8 shooting lanes and no range Nazis. They have two regular pistol leagues during the week. Check 'em out.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

VERY corrosive.
LR Yote

A cartridge being "Berdan Primed" does not mean that they are corrosive, it only means that the case will have 2 flash holes, and the anvil to fire the primer is built into the case instead of the primer. It is not easily reloaded since most of use are only set up for boxer primed cases.

Passive101

There is a good solution in Janesville, the Rock County Rifle and Pistol Club. A member can shoot there 24/7. There are 8 shooting lanes and no range Nazis. They have two regular pistol leagues during the week. Check 'em out.

Their rules say nothing against having a firearm in a holster on you. Can you confirm that this is allowed or even drawing and firing is allowed?

If this is allowed that meats my wants.

They say no handguns that generate more then 800ft lbs of energy and my 10mm is just under that at 750 or so.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Try it, you'll like it!

Their rules say nothing against having a firearm in a holster on you. Can you confirm that this is allowed or even drawing and firing is allowed?

When you become a member, you get your own key to the place and you can pretty much do what you want whenever you want, as long as you don't get stupid, 24/7 if there isn't a league in there. Every 2cnd and 3rd Tuesday there is a tactical shoot at 7:00pm that is patterned after IDPA except you can use any type of strong-side holster, including drop-leg. They charge $5 to help pay for the electricity and the targets. The location is nothing fancy but it is a good place to hone your skills.

Last edited:

Passive101

Is it a very busy place? This sounds like the ideal place to get a membership at. Is it in a decent area and what type of people are sometimes there?

nevinsb

It depends on the time you go. I've been there a few times and for hours we didn't see anyone.

LR Yote 312

A cartridge being "Berdan Primed" does not mean that they are corrosive, it only means that the case will have 2 flash holes, and the anvil to fire the primer is built into the case instead of the primer. It is not easily reloaded since most of use are only set up for boxer primed cases.

Very true, reloading berdan primed is a total pia.

But I would read a box of Wolf marked "Non Corrosive" thats using berdans as Not As corrosive as the corrosive ones are. Even if the berdan primers they are using is really non corrosive, the pig/cow manure based powder they use will surely make up for the difference.

Its Russian made and cheap for a reason and I am guessing they would prefer our guns didnt work.

LR Yote