• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you consider joining a citizen patrol group to reduce crime in your area?

Would you consider joining a citizen patrol group?

• Total voters

Centurion

Yes, regardles if OC/CC are SOP.

No

Yes, but only if OC is SOP.

Yes, but only if CC is SOP.

PDinDetroit

Yes, regardles if OC/CC are SOP.

No

Yes, but only if OC is SOP.

Yes, but only if CC is SOP.

Welcome to OCDO!

I have considered this, but do not have the time right now. I would answer "Yes, but only if CC/OC is SOP" (5th choice).

BTW - you can create a POLL for this Topic, may make it easier to track for you and others to see the results.

Centurion

Welcome to OCDO!

I have considered this, but do not have the time right now. I would answer "Yes, but only if CC/OC is SOP" (5th choice).

BTW - you can create a POLL for this Topic, may make it easier to track for you and others to see the results.

Thanks for your help PDinDetroit. Now I've got to ask are you a cop in detroit:eek:

Uh...I think I've got the poll at the top now?

Does anyone know how to add a question to a poll after its posted? Thanks & sorry NEWGUY Here ;)

Last edited:

malignity

Right now I'm undecided. I'd be concerned with the 'power' of what one can and cannot do in the group first of all, secondly, part of me believes that I already belong to a 'citizen's patrol group' simply because I carry and am willing to not only protect myself with my firearm, but others if need be. Lastly, part of me says that ANY responsible citizen should be armed and solely responsible for their own protection. I don't need to be part of a group to deter crime and neither does anyone else. An armed society is a polite society.

PDinDetroit

Thanks for your help PDinDetroit. Now I've got to ask are you a cop in detroit:eek:

Uh...I think I've got the poll at the top now?

Does anyone know how to add a question to a poll after its posted? Thanks & sorry NEWGUY Here ;)

Heck no! I have had this User ID for longer than I have been carrying...

PD are just my initials...

I am not sure about how to add a question once the Poll has been posted...

Centurion

Right now I'm undecided. I'd be concerned with the 'power' of what one can and cannot do in the group first of all, secondly, part of me believes that I already belong to a 'citizen's patrol group' simply because I carry and am willing to not only protect myself with my firearm, but others if need be. Lastly, part of me says that ANY responsible citizen should be armed and solely responsible for their own protection. I don't need to be part of a group to deter crime and neither does anyone else. An armed society is a polite society.

I agree with your thinking, Here's a little of what got me thinking about this so you can get a better idea of my reasoning. I live in a neighborhood that has a large elderly population. We have asked for increased police patrols but have gotten the usual run around from our officials. The Seniors are increasingly being the victoms of property crimes and on ocassion violent crimes including robbery/home invasion. I came to this web site to get info on OC. I have several neighbors considering helping get this off the ground but have personal safety concerns. Several of us have CPL's and several do not. My thought was to pair up in vehicels (CPL holder in control of non CPL holders pistol while patrolling the neighborhood in vehiles with amber lights mounted). If we should get this going our thought is the thugs will move on to easier pickings. Any thoughts are appreciated.

kryptonian

can't help but think how prosectors would handle a shooting arising from that. if you are out somewhere and exigent circumstances arise and a justified shooting occurs then fine. if you are out specifically looking for criminal activity and it's crime scene tape time then it could be interpreted as premeditated even if justified by law. don't say it shouldn't or wouldn't be brought up because it will.

TheQ

In the summer I go on long walks in my neighborhood. I take a bright flashlight and a cell phone. If I hear or see something funny, I look a little closer (from the sidewalk). If it were to be something amiss, I'd call the cops. If the perp decided to attack me, he might not walk away.

PDinDetroit

In the summer I go on long walks in my neighborhood. I take a bright flashlight and a cell phone. If I hear or see something funny, I look a little closer (from the sidewalk). If it were to be something amiss, I'd call the cops. If the perp decided to attack me, he might not walk away.

+1.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
as long as I'm not working with these guys....
police_academy_4_citizens_on_patrol.jpg

stainless1911

Banned
The main reason that I started walking at the mall had nothing to do with OC. My health was so poor that I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without needing to stop half way up. Quit making assumptions about me, you don't know as much as you would like to believe.

MichiganOCer

If you can walk around a mall all damn day you can WORK.

If you can work, you shouldn't be getting government welfare checks that all of us working Americans pay for.

You can work, go get a job!

Yeah, it's ok for people to help you but you don't want to help others eh?

You're a real piece of work.

+1,000,000 Anyone on state aid of any kind should be forced to do some sort of community service, hours dependent on amount of aid. They should also be required to pass drug test's.

MichiganOCer

No Answer to the effect of " Do you currently volunteer for neighborhood Watch, CERT, or any of the various other community related volunteer programs? If so is OC/CC an option?