• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 - 1911 Fix-it Help

Bersa.380

Hey All:

A close friend of mine is fixing up his uncles 30-year-old 1911 for his birthday, he is wondering where he can get parts for this pistol. Here are some details;

I’ve been told its an Army issue around 30-years-old.
The manufacturer is US & S out of Springvale or maybe its Sweetvale Pennsylvania.

Any info would be great …. THANKS !!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Easiest question I've seen in months.

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) of sources for parts for 1911s.
Simply Google "buy 1911 parts" and prepare to be overwhelmed.

Only caveat I would have would be if that particular model/vintage were a collectable.
That and 30 years isn't really that old for a 1911.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Be nice, lest someone criticize guns that must have the trigger squeezed before disassembly. Me, I would never do that :p

I would. At least my 1911s don't have the nick-name Tupperware. The first Glock was produced in 1982, the first 1911 in 1911 (obviously, but there are some slow ones here). When Glock has been around for 100 years then Glock owners can start trash-talking 1911s.

ad494d13-5685-14e7.jpg

That being said, Glocks are good guns too.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I would. At least my 1911s don't have the nick-name Tupperware. The first Glock was produced in 1982, the first 1911 in 1911 (obviously, but there are some slow ones here). When Glock has been around for 100 years then Glock owners can start trash-talking 1911s.

That being said, Glocks are good guns too.

Glocks are great guns, but very few things beat the feel of a 1911 in your hands. I can't wait to get one.

Dreamer

Grapeshot is correct.

Here is a particular site that I have found useful on numerous occasions.

Numrich Gun Parts

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Numrich is a great resource for original parts, but if you want to get some parts to "dress up" this 1911, then you need to look at Brownell's. They have an astounding selection of 1911 parts--stock and custom...

http://www.brownells.com/

Cylinder and Slide is another good resource for custom parts:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

And if you need barrels, slides, or comps, you MUST check out Nowlins. They make what are arguably the best 1911 barrels (and some FANTASTIC internal parts too) on the planet:

http://www.nowlinguns.com/

If you need a great gunsmith, look into working with Wayne Novak at Novak Custom in Parkersburg WV. He is one of the best 1911 smiths east of the Mississippi and I can personally vouch for the quality of his work (they also sell some custom parts of exceptional quality):

http://www.novaksights.com/novak.html

Gil223

Although, in general, the U.S. Army officially retired the venerable 1911A1 in the mid-1980s as the standard issue sidearm, it is still in use by some SpecOps units who feel the need for greater stopping power than the 9mm Beretta provides. The 1911-style .45acp is not dead - it is still the preferred sidearm of the Marine Corps Special Operations Command, U.S. Army Delta Force, FBI Hostage Rescue Teams, and several big city SWAT teams. Why? Not because it's high tech or particularly pretty (although I think it's beautiful) - but because it just works... and makes a big hole in whatever it hits!

I own four 1911A1-style handguns - 2 by Colt (both 'Commanders' - a .45 and a 9mmLW), a .45acp Randall Model C, and a .45acp made by Israeli Arms International (which is the best box-stock 1911 I've ever shot). I also own three Glocks. None of my handguns has ever failed to function, which IMNSHO, is the most important aspect.

You have already gotten some excellent sources for 1911 parts from others, and as one of the posters said there are literally hundreds of sources for parts. There are probably more specialized sources of parts for the 1911 than for any other handgun ever made. Pax...

Gil223

Well then, that certainly makes you a qualified expert on Glocks, doesn't it? I own both - and equally enjoy - my 1911s and my Glocks! I choose to carry my Glocks because of their lighter weight and superior cartridge capacities. :p Pax...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well then, that certainly makes you a qualified expert on Glocks, doesn't it? I own both - and equally enjoy - my 1911s and my Glocks! I choose to carry my Glocks because of their lighter weight and superior cartridge capacities. :p Pax...

Oh yeah, because the fact that I've never purchased a Glock must mean that I haven't fired hundreds of rounds through them or anything like that.

I carry a 1911 because it is the best pistol for EDC yet created by man. No other popular pistol (except for derivatives) can be holstered outside the belt and still leave such a practical low profile, including Glocks. I know, because I've tried. Furthermore, the 1911 is an ideal weight when properly supported. Light weight's sole advantage is in comfort and easy of carry, and the lighter weight of the Glock is unnecessary compared to the 1911 and contributes nothing in those regards. It is a "feature" without purpose or value for those who carry properly in the manner to which this forum is dedicated.

Oh, not to mention I shoot a 1911 way better than a Glock.

I never claimed to be an expert, and I have no problem with your preference.

But the thing I hate most about Glock are its fanboys. They are the sort who instruct people to throw 1911s in a lake and buy a Glock. Making such a comment in reference to a firearm which is as well-regarded (on average) as the Glock reeks of irrational, trolling fanboy-ism, not a reflective appraisal of facts and helpful contribution to the discussion.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
+1 to Marshaul. 1911s have stood the test of time. I have a lot of handguns but if s**t hits my 1911 will be my go to gun (along with my AK, but that's a whole different debate)

Gil223

But the thing I hate most about Glock are its fanboys. They are the sort who instruct people to throw 1911s in a lake and buy a Glock. Making such a comment in reference to a firearm which is as well-regarded (on average) as the Glock reeks of irrational, trolling fanboy-ism, not a reflective appraisal of facts and helpful contribution to the discussion.

AHA! So, your intended disdain was for the "fanboys", rather than the Glock itself... I get that. I also understand the validity of your reasoning for preferring the 1911. Damn few handguns produce the stopping power of a .45acp slug, but the .40S&W isn't that far short of it. We all choose what works best for us and that which gives us peace of mind! Pax... :D

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
AHA! So, your intended disdain was for the "fanboys", rather than the Glock itself... I get that. I also understand the validity of your reasoning for preferring the 1911. Damn few handguns produce the stopping power of a .45acp slug, but the .40S&W isn't that far short of it. We all choose what works best for us and that which gives us peace of mind! Pax... :D

I'm convinced that in many circumstances the .40 S&W is ballistically superior to the .45 ACP.

That doesn't count for much when the slow push of the .45 means I shoot so much better than I do with the brisk flip of the .40.