• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another New Guy In Western Washington

WOD

Hello fellow gun and rights enthusiasts, I've been here as a member of OCDO for a short time. I have learned a lot from the time I began looking into legal handgun ownership. I've had handguns and shotguns and rifles in the past, so I'm not unfamiliar with guns, nor am I unfamiliar with the attacks on our rights and our gun rights, over the last few decades.

I am a Son Of Ohio, who transplanted here back in the early 80's, mostly living in King county. Being from Cleveland Ohio, there weren't any places in Seattle I was worried about going. But times have changed over the last three decades, both here and in Cleveland, haven't they? I no longer have the bad guys to think about, but over zealous and trigger happy employees of the SPD now, as well. I've been reading a lot of threads on OCDO, about how to handle a LEO stop, as well as our RCW's. I keep referencing my brochure that I was presented with, at the Lewis County courthouse, when I applied for my CC permit. My next step is to complete a NRA certified safety course, and then I can perhaps officially claim I know what I'm doing. But can I really?

Having grown up in, and around, a city where you can lose your life for a cigarette, situational awareness has been a key to my longevity. Also known as "street smarts", this is a mindset I utilize wherever I go. It's that 'spidey sense' or "inner voice' or 'intuition' that 'something is going down'. It's also very useful for avoiding tickets on the freeway, since I also developed it to keep away from LE as much as possible. I only bring this up, because I haven't seen a lot of discussion on this topic. Anyone who is from any large city East of the Mississippi River, knows what I'm talking about.

Whether I'm driving my car on the freeway in a city, or rural area, I'm watching my surroundings. Cars in other lanes, ahead and behind, who is in my mirrors, and who is a possible threat. Mr. I'm in a hurry zig-zag lane changer, or, Mrs. I'm on the phone completely oblivious lane changer, they both are threats I can identify with simple observation. What is on the side of the road? Deer, small animals, debris, stopped cars, road construction equipment.. you get the drift. All of this information is crucial to me, getting from point A to point B, without hitting anything. I utilize this same frame of mind here on the farm, in a small town, a large city, whether I am familiar with it or not. It has always been a benefit to me, wherever I may roam. Since I have experienced 'bad things' when I fail to practice this skill, I can attest that it usually does work for me, in every situation. If I'm not paying attention to my surroundings, I can not adequately address the risks, that are, or may be, present in my current environment. LEO's are trained to practice this, and are pretty good at it, because it will save their lives and it works!

Most of 'street smarts' or 'situational awareness' is basic common sense, but sometimes it needs further development. Since I am an armed citizen, I HAVE to maintain this mindset. Whether I'm carrying or not, I enter every situation as if I am unarmed, just like I drive as if I had no insurance. My safety is first and foremost, but a safe me can also be a safe someone else. Knowing ahead of time, who is where in my current surroundings, is one less thing I have to think about, if I am forced to draw my weapon. I take a quick look at everyone in my field of vision, in a 360 sweep, I don't stare at them, or make full eye contact, I just do a visual sweep. Lady with a stroller left, guy in store uniform next to her, bearded man in windbreaker w b-ball cap approaching, car pulling up behind me left side (audible input) moving closer - deserves a visual sweep (as it is a larger potential threat than what I've observed so far) quick look done granny looking for parking space, man with b-ball cap behind me now, another two younger people coming from behind me - more input needed.

You get the point right? If you think the criminals aren't doing this too, you're wrong. What they look for is, someone completely oblivious, completely defenseless, and isolated from others view. If you've seen the video of the person on their phone, who walks right up to a mall fountain, and falls in, completely oblivious, that's a TARGET for a criminal. She was so absorbed with what she was doing, she couldn't avoid a noticeable obstacle. She didn't SEE the environment she was in, she didn't HEAR the noise of the water, she didn't MAP the environment she was in. A perfect victim. People like this are my entertainment, a criminals choice target, and volunteers for embarrassment or harm. So, as an armed citizen I am responsible to maintain MY vigilance at all times that I carry. Mostly for my safety, but, also for everyones safety. The last thing I want to do, is injure an innocent party while defending myself or another. Situational awareness and mapping are crucial to me, and I hope everyone here, understands where I'm coming from. Stay sharp, stay safe, stay alive!

ABOUT ME:
I'm a Liberal, Progressive, Conservative....... Depends on the subject of discussion.
I'm not just a voter, I contact my congressional representatives and tell them my position on legislation proposals.
I DO participate in my Government, to protect EVERYONES Rights.
I no longer trust that either political party truly has OUR best interest in mind, I DO suggest we should be Americans first right now, not Democrats or Republicans or Libertarians, this nation is in a critical phase of development.
I do not trust in Agendas, - Left, Right, Corporate, Agency, - UNLESS they are to PROTECT OUR RIGHTS.
I DO suggest that the law should be applied to everyone equally, not just those with expensive lawyers.
I DO NOT have confidence that our current Government knows what they're doing, nor do I trust them.
I would love to see a day, when guns were just for sport, criminals were non-existent, there were no more wars or need for standing armies, and everyone had everything they needed to live in peace.
Now IS NOT that time, so I prepare myself.

sudden valley gunner

Welcome WOD!

Nice post. I personally feel a little different on a few things. One thing I suggest to people is not avoiding eye contact it's a respect thing I grew up in bad neighborhoods, make eye contact and nod a notice to folks, this shows respect and stops you from garnering more attention to you which may be negative. Remember if someone was to accost someone else its a predator thing, predators go after whom they perceive as easy targets.

You and I may have some things in common in our political stances not too much I see I disagree with there, except I would never consider myself a "progressive".

WOD

SVG, I do make eye contact when eye contact is made, when I see someone looking at me I look back. This is just my initial visual sweep, if nobody is looking at me, I move on to finish my sweep. If I see them looking I do make eye contact. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that in my initial post.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

SVG, I do make eye contact when eye contact is made, when I see someone looking at me I look back. This is just my initial visual sweep, if nobody is looking at me, I move on to finish my sweep. If I see them looking I do make eye contact. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that in my initial post.

Thanks for the welcomes.

That's good, thanks for the clarification. I grew up in Bad neighborhoods have family that still live in them it's good for some of the more sheltered type to know how it works a little.

Glad you found your way here the more the merrier, hope to meet you in person at a meet soon. If you make your way up Bellingham way let me know, I can usually make time for a cup of coffee.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Welcome WOD Glad to see more people north of seattle on the forum. I don't know if you noticed but there is a few threads for everyday OC reporting in WA. I started one the other day for the Edmonds, Everett, Marysville and Arlington area called the Snohomish County OC report. Look forward to hearing about your everyday carry. Also A coupe of us are trying to schedule a shoot for us up north guys. Most OC gatherings have been down south.

You should read the Arby's thread from FMJ911. He's doing a lunch gathering there on the 25th. It's in Snohomish.

I just posted this to Dave in Edmonds too. Maybe we will see you both then?

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Welcome WOD.

Situational awareness is something we all need to practice, but from your post it sounds like you kinda make it your full time job.

Do you have any fun when you're outside your house? ;-)

jbone

I started one the other day for the Edmonds, Everitt, and Marysville area called the Snohomish County OC report.

Everett is in Snohomish Co., could we include Everett also? :lol:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Everett is in Snohomish Co., could we include Everett also? :lol:

I put Everett just spelled it wrong oops. I noticed you're from Arlington though. That is pat of that too. I couldn't think of all the places in the county.

WOD

It really isn't hard for me, since this habit has been something I had to practice almost all of my life. As I said, in a city where people have lost their lives over a cigarette, bombings, mafia activities, (Look up Danny Green aka the Irishman) Union thuggery, high crime higher unemployment, the list goes on and on, you learn this. Mind you this was between the 60's and 70's and I was a youngster watching the Viet Nam war on the telly every night at dinner time. But, the habits that can save your life do not go away so easily, especially when practiced in everyday life.

I bring this up also to make people aware of their surroundings. Since, when we're OC'ing we can get a false sense of security, like people who drive carelessly because they have car insurance. This same mindset can lull us into bad situations if we aren't focused. That guy I saw who looked away when I looked at him, I see him again in another location. I shrug it off as coincidence, and twenty minutes later he's on me trying to take my gun.... it happens. Noticing these little details, and people in our surroundings, can make a difference. Not all criminals are complete cowards, and when they see a mark, they will stalk it like a wolf, they have the patience a normal street thief doesn't have. So, in the course of your outings, keep a heads-up for people who keep popping up on the radar, who look away when you look at them.

I'm a people watcher geek, why? Because people do all sorts of stupid things, think differently? Watch YouTube videos! Unlike most people I don't see victims, I see volunteers. In some cases there truly IS a victim, but in most cases the so-called victim is an unknowing volunteer. I say this because they didn't practice or possess the simple skills for self preservation. They didn't utilize their senses, or common sense. For example, I'm at a railroad crossing, fully marked, labelled, gated, lighted, and belled. Look both ways at railroad crossings, is a sentence in the driver instruction booklet, passed out at the DMV. They (used to, now I don't know) teach you to look both ways in Kindergarten, before crossing streets or railroad crossings. I see the light flashing, I hear the bells ringing, I see the markings on the ground and the signage, but the gate hasn't fallen. I hear the horn of the locomotive and cross the tracks, promptly getting the front end of my car ripped off. I didn't use common sense, or any senses to determine the risk. Am I the VICTIM of a train wreck...or a VOLUNTEER? There's probably 100 train wreck videos on YouTube as well...

The best way to avoid being a victim is, to not volunteer.

ARADCOM, yeah I have lots of fun when I go out, coz I never know what I'll see along the way, or when I get there!

SIGGUY23 Onalaska is waaayyy south, between Chehalis and Vancouver WA.

Thor80

Welcome to here! I want to stop by "Onalaska, WA" one of these days just to see what its like. I actually grew up in "Unalaska, AK" and always thought it peculiar that there was an "Onalaska" in Wa.. Anyway welcome to OC! You'll probably find that most of WA is fairly uneventful, which is a good thing. :)

-Thor

WOD

Thor, let me be perfectly clear... you aren't missing a thing if you never see Onalaska. Hehehe, Unalaska probably has more to see.

Last edited: