• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisville Restrictions Owned, Leased, or Controlled by Metro Government

jackjack

So today, I was going to the public library and noticed a sign that read: “CONCEALED DEADLY WEAPONS PROHIBITED ON THESE PREMISES BY METRO GOVERNMENT ORDINANCE”

I am wondering. Is this a legitimate ordinance, or does it violate KRS 65.870 that says no city, town, county, or other municipality can restrict your right to keep and bear arms more than the state? Thanks for posting. You all are a great resource! :dude:

The ordinance reads: "No person, including employees of the Metro Government, shall carry a concealed firearm or other deadly weapon into or on any building or portion of a building owned, leased, or controlled by the Metro Government, except as otherwise provided in this chapter."

(1994 Jeff. Code, § 41.02) (Jeff. Ord. 24-1996, adopted and effective 8-20-1996; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 129-2004, approved 9-15-2004) Penalty, see § 41.99

CharleyCherokee

Seems that'd be pretty helpful for the open carry movement. Did you look and see if those ordinances provide penalties for conceal carrying there? If so then they'll have to change them.

CharleyCherokee

Board updates funkily

I wouldn't have bothered to post if I had seen you already pointed out what I had said. However, when I read the thread your post hadn't registered at all. Seems I have to reload a page to see my own post if I come back to it immediately after posting even.

JMJOHN0055

I've read the Louisville ordinances several times, Charley. They are OK as far as I know, for now. They should be, Louisville has been smacked down several times by the Attorney General's office over illegal gun ordinances. They have also had ordinances challanged in court, and they lost. They just keep trying, like with the zoo. Right now, they are in compliance with state law. I'm sure they will try it again and they need to be watched constantly. I have heard that they try to stretch the ordinance and apply it to OC at the airport and the County Courthouse. I don't know this for a fact and am going to find out some day soon. If they do either of those, it's illegal.

I am currently working with a local gun dealer who is a close friend of mine to start, what I believe will be, the only group fighting to maintain and even progress gun rights in the commonwealth. We are based in Louisville, as that's where we live, but it's serendipitous because Louisville is always trying to enforce fictional "laws" regarding guns. We are currently in the planning phase, but LONG term hope to be a state wide voice fighting for the gun lobby. I will keep everyone posted on events, as we are planning a cookout for sometime in the summer. If you have any questions, comments, or ideas please feel free to private message me.

langzaiguy

How will this group differ from KC3? Let's not reinvent the wheel. I think either we should all join KC3 and call it a day or your group should be different from the goals they're trying to achieve so we can join both groups :) What I would like to see is a "Kentucky Citizens Defense League" like VA has.

That said, a summer cookout sounds great!

jackjack

Been out hunting for employment.

I've been busy looking for work. I apologize for the late response.

KBCraig, thanks for the clarification. I didn't think about the obvious. The sign implied the no weapons by the circle with a slash through the image of a gun. Subliminal type imaging, or whatever.

Gutshot, you know the issues with references. You always are on your "A" game. +Rep if it were possible. Where have you been reading about Louisville getting challenged in the courts? Is it an online resource or wisdom from being around?

CharleyCherokee, I have experienced the delay in postings before when I was posting on the recording discussion. Maybe I had the window open too long when responding.

JMJOHN0055, keep trying. Although there is an organization such as KC3, I believe that two heads are better than one as long as you are working together. It can't hurt to call the KC3 office and ask them about what works and what doesn't work and what you could do to work together. What is your group's name?

Langzaiguy, I'm know that http://www.kc3.com is a great resource, and I have gotten alot of information from them that I found useful. I'll be registering to be a member shortly. I didn't realize that they had memberships.

Last edited:

ColeMD17

Good stuff for me to know. I was offered an audition for an internship at the Actor's Theatre, so I may end up living in Louisville in the future!

ColeMD17

Yeah, I got that the other day here in Idaho. It's pretty uncommon here, though, the most I ever get usually is a second look or questions about what model I carry, caliber, etc. The Northwest is awesome like that :)