• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get-Home Bag Gun with Specific Length

Silvertongue

If this is the wrong section, feel free to educate me on the proper section and move/delete the thread as necessary.

I have a get-home bag already that was given to me as a gift (of course with no brand or labels), and I really like it. I'd like to add a shootin' iron to it, and I'm really considering a .300 BLK AR Pistol with a folding buffer tube. Only problem is, I have 19 inches of vertical space PERIOD in the bag. Total length can't go over 19 inches. Depth is fine for the folding tube, but would I have to get a 6 inch barrel?

Would it make more sense to invest in another traditional handgun and several mags?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Based on your description you have 3 inches with which to bullpup the thing, which can't be done what with that buffer tube thingummy.

Are you till-death-do-you-part committed to your present bag? Tennis/squash raquet bags offer quite some length and are also less noticable as being an object full of goodies. I'd recommend a banjo case but you may want to keep the friends you already have.:D

How much weight can you carry three times the distance you think you will need to travel to get home? (Doubling back, multiple changes of course, etc.) How far away do you expect to engage BGs? How much more proficient with the .300 BLK AR pistol are you than with a more traditional handgun?

My personal preference - and worth every penny that you have paid to read it - is that you want to move fast and light in a get-home situaton, avoiding/going around as much possible/potential trouble as you can. Small size (comparatively speaking), maneuverability, and the ability to transition back and forth between "obviously armed" and "it looks like I don't have a firearm, doesn't it") were the biases I used in selecting a Get-Home bag and what went in it.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Where are you stowing the bag.

If you carry it in a vehicle or store it in a building why does your fire arm have to be in the bag?

Considering it is a "Get Home" bag there is a high probability that at some point (sooner rather than later per all the anecdotal reports) he will (be forced to) abandon the vehicle. If that were not the case it would be called a "Daily Commute" bag.

stay safe.

Kopis

AR pistols are not small, light or concealable at all however they are a lot of firepower in a relatively small package. Definitely a nice thing to have in your trunk especially with some of the mob stuff going on. 300AAC rounds are a lot heavier but do perform very well out of an AR pistol. You might consider a standard AR pistol and load it with Hornady Vmax rounds. I havent seen how they perform out of the shorter barrels though. Surely they would still fragment well?

mikeyb

ruger 10/22 takedown not on the table?

and what is your environment like if you have to use a get-home bag? urban, suburban, rural? more afraid of animals than humans? or vice-versa?

how long will it take you to get home on foot? you have to carry all that shtuff all that way. I work 11 miles from home. that will take me, at most, 5-1/2 hours to walk.

slightly off topic... i wonder if getting a folding bike would be beneficial. hmm...

OldCurlyWolf

ruger 10/22 takedown not on the table?

and what is your environment like if you have to use a get-home bag? urban, suburban, rural? more afraid of animals than humans? or vice-versa?

how long will it take you to get home on foot? you have to carry all that shtuff all that way. I work 11 miles from home. that will take me, at most, 5-1/2 hours to walk.

slightly off topic... i wonder if getting a folding bike would be beneficial. hmm...
That time is only if someone doesn't try to interfere with your transit, ie, try to kill and rob you. Figure it may take 24-48 hours in a SHTF situation and plan accordingly.

The bike might work, if you can pedal it at a speed higher than a fit man can run.
:cool:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Considering it is a "Get Home" bag there is a high probability that at some point (sooner rather than later per all the anecdotal reports) he will (be forced to) abandon the vehicle. If that were not the case it would be called a "Daily Commute" bag.

stay safe.

if it is in a vehicle all the time no reason no to have a carbine,

Augustin

If this is the wrong section, feel free to educate me on the proper section and move/delete the thread as necessary.

I have a get-home bag already that was given to me as a gift (of course with no brand or labels), and I really like it. I'd like to add a shootin' iron to it, and I'm really considering a .300 BLK AR Pistol with a folding buffer tube. Only problem is, I have 19 inches of vertical space PERIOD in the bag. Total length can't go over 19 inches. Depth is fine for the folding tube, but would I have to get a 6 inch barrel?

Would it make more sense to invest in another traditional handgun and several mags?

Why do you have to have your firearm INSIDE the bug-out-bag? Why not just strap it to the outside instead? This would free up much space inside the bag for other survival stuff. Or simply buy a small gun case and keep the short barrel rifle in it. You'd then have two bags, but you could either carry the gun case by hand, ditch it and carry the rifle using a tactical sling, or keep the gun strapped to the outside of the bug bag.

I recommend a short-barrel .300 blackout pistol with a Sig stock. These are NON-NFA firearms (legal without NFA registration depending on which state you live in).

Check out the photos on Google images. If the link doesn't work go to Google images and search for 300 blackout pistols.

https://www.google.com/search?q=300...v&sa=X&ei=aEwcVe76OIO2ogSWzYDABA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Also, Barnes makes the best 300 blackout ammo. They use a proprietory powder that burns completely before leaving an 8 1/2 inch barrel, so there is less muzzle black and better balistics.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/43...d-tac-tx-bullet-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-20

mikeyb

That time is only if someone doesn't try to interfere with your transit, ie, try to kill and rob you. Figure it may take 24-48 hours in a SHTF situation and plan accordingly.

The bike might work, if you can pedal it at a speed higher than a fit man can run.
:cool:

in my area, if it's international/man-made SHTF, we're not alive- blast radius. too close to major military bases, population centers, and infrastructure. if it's a Red Dawn SHTF, pretty sure my specific area will be barely affected. i'm also about 5-6 miles from a FEMA compound (but not in my travelling area). I don't live in/near sketchy areas. majority of people will be stuck on the freeways because they're idiots.

if it's natural disaster (earthquake, more than likely), i have a few roadway overpasses to travel past (none over water nor cliffs), other than that I can can travel on urban trails or bike-friendly roads. I do have to travel past a Costco. that might require a jog in the route.

worst case? i "appropriate" a kayak at a local sporting goods store or other flotation device from a nearby marina and, under cover of darkness, make my way uplake home. hmm. maybe i should throw in a wetsuit in the trunk, too.

Rusty Young Man

There are some instances in which "bug out bag" means "locker at work measuring 16 deep, 10.5 tall, and 9.5 wide."

This, uh, this totally isn't one of those situations.

Then I'd look into the suggestion Solus made of getting the Sub-2000 pistol-caliber carbine; folds in half for easy stowing, chambered in a variety of different pistol calibers (light weight), and can be found in different magazine/grip variations (SIG, Glock, etc.).

The advantage it would have over an AR-style pistol would be that the assembly consists of swinging the front half of the carbine down until it snaps in place, vs having to assemble an AR upper/lower via the pins (still quick, but not as quick as operating a simple hinge).
Just my $.02.

solus

oh forgot... one addendum to my sub-2000: plan to change the flipping plastic front sight out...geeez the keltec's engineering staff was either or in withdrawal of substances the day they designed that marvel!!

rumor from kel-tec is they are releasing a new model this summer-ish of the sub2000!!

ipse

Last edited:

HPmatt

I recommend a short-barrel .300 blackout pistol with a Sig stock. These are NON-NFA firearms (legal without NFA registration depending on which state you live in).

Check out the photos on Google images. If the link doesn't work go to Google images and search for 300 blackout pistols.

https://www.google.com/search?q=300...v&sa=X&ei=aEwcVe76OIO2ogSWzYDABA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Damn - I want one of those! Price is probably more than Sub-2000. Then of course cost of NFA trust for suppressor next...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk