• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Rhinelander fun.

Wstar425

Went out for brunch yesterday at our new favorite after church spot, the Riverview. We have become regulars apparently, they give us the same table and a pot of coffee to serve ourselves now. Several groups of church goers have started going here, and have invited us to join them. But, they are somewhat older and so far we have declined. My wife is not big on group activities, plus we don't see a lot of each other during the week as I'm gone a lot, so this is our time together. I wear a sport jacket in church, but ditch that as soon as I hit my vehicle. Our weather has been abnormally warm this month.

So, walked in like normal, hung jacket on back of chair which kind of conceals firearm as it hangs. I noticed three tables spotted me immediately, two seemed interested and one older lady looked a bit disturbed. They were finished eating and left almost immediately.

One of the guys at another table hot footed it over to me, asked me if I was a cop? Nope. Then he whispered to me that he had his "concealed carry permit" (it's a license in WI)and that my gun was visible. Said I knew that, I took my jacket off standing up, not trying to hide it. Asked him why he was whispering? No answer. Told him Wisconsin was an open carry state, has been since 1848 and that I wasn't concealing. Said I could open carry a firearm as long as I was 18 and not a felon. He acted like he didn't hear any of that, and repeated that he just wanted me to know that people could see my gun. Apparently, they didn't cover open carry in his conceal carry class? I didn't ask.

Said have a good day as I left, a little chit chat about non gun stuff. Nobody else seemed to be bothered, at least they didn't talk to me about it. Been raining three days now, we need some snow!

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

You do know that guns under jackets have less of a change of jumping out and committing mass murder then guns open carried it is a well known fact after all. /S/

Some times it is just right to smile inform properly and let thing go.

Franky

Went out for brunch yesterday at our new favorite after church spot, the Riverview. We have become regulars apparently, they give us the same table and a lot of coffee to serve ourselves now. Several groups of church goers have started going here, and have invited us to join them. But, they are somewhat older and so far we have declined. My wife is not big on group activities, plus we don't see a lot of each other during the week as I'm gone a lot, so this is our time together. I wear a sport jacket in church, but ditch that as soon as I hit my vehicle. Our weather has been abnormally warm this month.

So, walked in like normal, hung jacket on back of chair which kind of conceals firearm as it hangs. I noticed three tables spotted me immediately, two seemed interested and one older lady looked a bit disturbed. They were finished eating and left almost immediately.

One of the guys at another table hot footed it over to me, asked me if I was a cop? Nope. Then he whispered to me that he had his "concealed carry permit" (it's a license in WI)and that my gun was visible. Said I knew that, I took my jacket off standing up, not trying to hide it. Asked him why he was whispering? No answer. Told him Wisconsin was an open carry state, has been since 1848 and that I wasn't concealing. Said I could open carry a firearm as long as I was 18 and not a felon. He acted like he didn't hear any of that, and repeated that he just wanted me to know that people could see my gun. Apparently, they didn't cover open carry in his conceal carry class? I didn't ask.

Said have a good day as I left, a little chit chat about non gun stuff. Nobody else seemed to be bothered, at least they didn't talk to me about it. Been raining three days now, we ne some snow!

There is a possibility the whispering guy was not required to attend a ccw class to obtain a permit. I am skeptical of some of events that supposedly occurred.

Wstar425

My initial reaction is to ALWAYS be polite and friendly. I enjoy talking to people, even if you have a differing opinion. There sometimes does come a time to stop being polite, or maybe walk away.

This guy kinda threw me for a loop. I had a button down, collared long sleeved tucked in shirt on with a P226 in an OWB holster. Not easy to miss. The only way I would have not known I was showing would have been if I had forgotten I had a gun on! He didn't have a problem with it, just trying to do me a solid. And didn't know the laws. Now he does, or at least will look into it further, hopefully.

Been in there 25 times or so and not one mention of a firearm has been made by staff. Wife picked her side of the table which puts me strong side to the center of the room with my back to a wall. I'd sit on the other side, but it's not a big deal to me as long as my back isn't to the center of the room.

Never quite sure how to answer the "are you a police officer" question. Part of me thinks, and who are you to ask me that question? But, in the interest of not turning a good interaction bad before it starts I generally just say no, and see how it proceeds. Apparently, I could pass for one, I get that a lot. I think people just want to feel secure, and if I was a police officer, it would make them feel better than some random guy with a gun? I don't know?

Any thoughts on dealing with that question?

Last edited:

Wstar425

There is a possibility the whispering guy was not required to attend a ccw class to obtain a permit. I am skeptical of some of events that supposedly occurred.

That's true. He could have used his Hunter Safety course to obtain his CCL.

You are skeptical of events as I portray them? Which ones and why?

solus

My initial reaction is to ALWAYS be polite and friendly. snipp...

Never quite sure how to answer the "are you a police officer" question. Part of me thinks, and who are you to ask me that question? But, in the interest of not turning a good interaction bad before it starts I generally just say no, and see how it proceeds. Apparently, I could pass for one, I get that a lot. I think people just want to feel secure, and if I was a police officer, it would make them feel better than some random guy with a gun? I don't know?

Any thoughts on dealing with that question?

smiling...NOPE, I work for a living...smile broader and move on to the open carry portion of the lecture discussion.

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
That's true. He could have used his Hunter Safety course to obtain his CCL.

You are skeptical of events as I portray them? Which ones and why?

Hunter safety? The Dick Cheney Special Course to Teach you how to Duck, Like an Expert !

The OP did not run into anything negative ... old lady may have simply had gas ... (yes, women get gas too---we just like to show them off :rolleyes:)

Law abider

Went out for brunch yesterday at our new favorite after church spot, the Riverview. We have become regulars apparently, they give us the same table and a pot of coffee to serve ourselves now. Several groups of church goers have started going here, and have invited us to join them. But, they are somewhat older and so far we have declined. My wife is not big on group activities, plus we don't see a lot of each other during the week as I'm gone a lot, so this is our time together. I wear a sport jacket in church, but ditch that as soon as I hit my vehicle. Our weather has been abnormally warm this month.

Said have a good day as I left, a little chit chat about non gun stuff. Nobody else seemed to be bothered, at least they didn't talk to me about it. Been raining three days now, we need some snow!

I visited my chief buddy at his house last Saturday and his girlfriend's parents were visiting from England. I was OCing I greeted them and immediately the mother asked me if I was a policeman. I said nope. She had an extreme disturbed look on her face. Instantly the chief let them know that we in WI have a right to keep and bear arms. She mumbled something. Both her parents just could not understand that I had a right to keep and bear arms.

protias

You didn't know that WI is a CC only state?! /sarcasm

I'm still dumbfounded on how many people think that the only way to carry is concealed, especially in the firearm community.

Grizz272

I was open carrying in Cabelas in Richfield. A customer came up and said I could not do that. I told him WI was an open carry state. He said He had a CCW and could not open carry. I told him again that WI was a open carry state. He just said I would be in trouble and walked away.

solus

Follow the money. Have no doubt that is precisely what the credulous client-customer was taught.

nightmare, et al., it has always been about the profit center ~ IMHO even TX recent 'OC victory' left the state's profit center intact and in fact could be considered 'merchandised' to increase revenue.

I believe you will discern FL will follow Tx's track to maintain their CC profit center and mandate OC activities with their current in place privilege card ~ again with the prospect of increasing revenue.

NC did significantly increased revenues by tagging our purchasing of firearms, in addition to the PPP, to the CHP as an additional incentive to increase profits for the trainers (at the time the majority were moonlighting LEs) and the individual sheriffs offices as the state does not get any revenue from the CHP which is why we have a laminated piece of crappy paper.

ipse

protias

I was open carrying in Cabelas in Richfield. A customer came up and said I could not do that. I told him WI was an open carry state. He said He had a CCW and could not open carry. I told him again that WI was a open carry state. He just said I would be in trouble and walked away.

Did you get a chance to ask him who you would get in trouble with or did he get say you'd get in trouble and immediately walk away? If the latter, that's quite a rude way to end a conversation.