• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Training specific to open carry?

Lyndsy Simon

I'm interested in taking some classes with an eye toward becoming more proficient with my pistol as a defensive weapon. I see lots of options out there, but all of them seem to either be "[insert skill level] pistol" or "[insert skill level] concealed carry".

Are there any trainers in Virginia or the surrounding states with a focus on the unique issues around open carry? I've done some retention training in the past, but it was in an informal setting and none of us really felt like we were experts on the subject. I'd love to find something led by a competent instructor that has sections for things like "dealing with a gun grab" or "knives vs. pocket pistols for retention".

To be clear here, I'm not suggesting that "gun grabs" are a huge concern. I've been OCing for about three years now on a regular basis and am fully confident in my ability to remain aware of my surroundings and to keep my sidearm in my possession. All I'm saying is that I'd like to invest some time and money in more formal training to improve my skills. It's an unlikely scenario, sure, but I shoot silhouette targets where an attacker is holding a hostage as a shield and that seems like a situation I'm much less likely to encounter than someone trying to grab for my gun.

solus

I'm interested in taking some classes with an eye toward becoming more proficient with my pistol as a defensive weapon. I see lots of options out there, but all of them seem to either be "[insert skill level] pistol" or "[insert skill level] concealed carry".

Are there any trainers in Virginia or the surrounding states with a focus on the unique issues around open carry? I've done some retention training in the past, but it was in an informal setting and none of us really felt like we were experts on the subject. I'd love to find something led by a competent instructor that has sections for things like "dealing with a gun grab" or "knives vs. pocket pistols for retention".

To be clear here, I'm not suggesting that "gun grabs" are a huge concern. I've been OCing for about three years now on a regular basis and am fully confident in my ability to remain aware of my surroundings and to keep my sidearm in my possession. All I'm saying is that I'd like to invest some time and money in more formal training to improve my skills. It's an unlikely scenario, sure, but I shoot silhouette targets where an attacker is holding a hostage as a shield and that seems like a situation I'm much less likely to encounter than someone trying to grab for my gun.

first i must inquire have you defined your true rational for carrying a firearm, e.g., is it to defend yourself and loved ones or protect the neighbourhood from marauding hordes as they take the community princess captive and you have been charged to free the princess? are you wishing you are a policeman but failed the written, physical, or mental tests and this activity keeps up your mythical world?

once you have centered on a viable rational to carry and it pertains to the last concept i mentioned, the check with the nice LEs and see if there is a retired SWAT whatever to work on you.

three gun activities are quite enjoyable and you will pick up techniques while you compete which then could be practiced on your own.

finally, try pick up a laserlyte bullseye training ensemble there are some which report back to your computer and scores you where you hit?

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/laserl...plusbox-beta&gclid=CK_Lyp3bosoCFRAbgQod0GMGlw

ipse

Lyndsy Simon

first i must inquire have you defined your true rational for carrying a firearm, e.g., is it to defend yourself and loved ones or protect the neighbourhood from marauding hordes as they take the community princess captive and you have been charged to free the princess? are you wishing you are a policeman but failed the written, physical, or mental tests and this activity keeps up your mythical world?

once you have centered on a viable rational to carry and it pertains to the last concept i mentioned, the check with the nice LEs and see if there is a retired SWAT whatever to work on you.

three gun activities are quite enjoyable and you will pick up techniques while you compete which then could be practiced on your own.

finally, try pick up a laserlyte bullseye training ensemble there are some which report back to your computer and scores you where you hit?

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/laserl...plusbox-beta&gclid=CK_Lyp3bosoCFRAbgQod0GMGlw

ipse

I'm not training to be a ninja, if that's what you're asking.

> is it to defend yourself and loved ones

Yes.

> protect the neighbourhood from marauding hordes as they take the community princess captive and you have been charged to free the princess

No.

> are you wishing you are a policeman but failed the written, physical, or mental tests and this activity keeps up your mythical world?

Ha! No, not even close. I'm a philosophical anarchist; the idea of my being a police officer is absurd.

> once you have centered on a viable rational to carry and it pertains to the last concept i mentioned, the check with the nice LEs and see if there is a retired SWAT whatever to work on you.

I'd really prefer not to be involved with LE.

> three gun activities are quite enjoyable and you will pick up techniques while you compete which then could be practiced on your own.

I don't have a shotgun, and don't particularly want to get one. I don't compete yet, but plan on joining IDPA in the next few weeks. I've now gotten my carry setup to the point where I figure IDPA would make sense.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have always strived to be a benevolent dictator. The dictatorship part has been easy. It is the benevolent part that's been hard to achieve.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Let me start out by reminding everyone of our own ProShooter and that he does more than CHP classes.

There's a guy out in Culpeper whose name I cannot recall who also does more than CHP and mall ninja classes.

It would be A Good Thing[SUP]TM[/SUP] to put together a list of trainers in VA and make it a sticky.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Let me start out by reminding everyone of our own ProShooter and that he does more than CHP classes.

There's a guy out in Culpeper whose name I cannot recall who also does more than CHP and mall ninja classes.

It would be A Good Thing[SUP]TM[/SUP] to put together a list of trainers in VA and make it a sticky.

stay safe.

Thanks for the mention!

captrickmoisa

My brother lives in Va. And belongs to the Virginia Ready Reserve, He tells me they offer a lot of different training. Check out the web site. Good luck.

Semper Fi

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My brother lives in Va. And belongs to the Virginia Ready Reserve, He tells me they offer a lot of different training. Check out the web site. Good luck.

Semper Fi

http://virginiareadyreserve.com/ Woods & Warfare ninjas with possibly some good stuff re preparedness. Not sure if their "survival" stuff has much applicability to folks who are either going to bug in or try to bug out to the family back 40 without a large group of like-minded paranoids.

My biggest complaint is they insist you register before giving you any info on what types of training they offer, who provided it, and other such details. They also do not provide anything explaining their philosophy or how they intend to fit in with any sort of disaster situation.

If anyone wants to give more specific information on them and their training I'll be glad to look at it and decide if my initial impression needs changing.

stay safe.

va_tazdad

http://virginiareadyreserve.com/ Woods & Warfare ninjas with possibly some good stuff re preparedness. Not sure if their "survival" stuff has much applicability to folks who are either going to bug in or try to bug out to the family back 40 without a large group of like-minded paranoids.

My biggest complaint is they insist you register before giving you any info on what types of training they offer, who provided it, and other such details. They also do not provide anything explaining their philosophy or how they intend to fit in with any sort of disaster situation.

If anyone wants to give more specific information on them and their training I'll be glad to look at it and decide if my initial impression needs changing.

stay safe.

Didn't we try this with them a couple of years ago with zero results??????

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Didn't we try this with them a couple of years ago with zero results??????

There you go again, expecting newbies to know the entire history of the world of OCDO, as opposed to having to repeat it every time. :p

stay safe.

va_tazdad

There you go again, expecting newbies to know the entire history of the world of OCDO, as opposed to having to repeat it every time. :p

stay safe.

My bad. What was I thinking? Thank you Oh Great One, for helping me find the path to enlightenment again.

I guess I just had a DMcB moment. (Similar to a blond moment but worse)

user

Accomplished Advocate
The NRA offers courses called Personal Protection in the Home and PP outside the Home. The latter covers drawing from a holster, shooting while moving, etc. Information is available on the NRA website. Quality of instruction varies greatly. Part three of each course is the "law lecture", which I do for other instructors (being certified myself), so it's important to get some referrals around where you live. I don't know whether ProShooter does that course, but if he does and you live in Central Va., that's probably your best option.

user

Accomplished Advocate
My bad. What was I thinking? Thank you Oh Great One, for helping me find the path to enlightenment again.

I guess I just had a DMcB moment. (Similar to a blond moment but worse)

It's natural, since Skidmark IS the font of all wisdom and knowledge.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's natural, since Skidmark IS the font of all wisdom and knowledge.

WANTED: Large material moving equipment and operators for attempt to remove tongue from cheek. Prefer bids be submitted as full fixed price but will consider per-hour bids. No bio-fuel or other "green" materials will be allowed on work site. Bonus of up to 15% based on new words or word combinations uttered during performance of work.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WANTED: Large material moving equipment and operators for attempt to remove tongue from cheek. Prefer bids be submitted as full fixed price but will consider per-hour bids. No bio-fuel or other "green" materials will be allowed on work site. Bonus of up to 15% based on new words or word combinations uttered during performance of work.

stay safe.
A high pressure water hose should be effective at half the price.