• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daley is not running for another term.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I just about had a heart attack when I read this......

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley announced Tuesday that he will not seek another term as the mayor of the city he has led for more than two decades.

Daley announced his decision during a press conference at City Hall.

"Now I am ready with my family to begin a new phase of our lives," Daley said, noting that he had considered the decision over the course of the last several months.

"I have always believed that every person, especially public officials, must understand when its time to move on," Daley said. "For me, that time is now."

Daley was elected mayor on April 4, 1989, to complete the term of the late Harold Washington, and was re-elected in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007 according to his biography.

The Daley is the son of Richard J. Daley, who served as the city's mayor between 1955 and 1976.

The Chicago mayoral general election will be held February 22, 2011.

White House Press Secretary Rahm Emanuel has in the past expressed interest in the job, telling Charlie Rose of PBS in April that, "[O]ne day I would like to one for mayor of the city of Chicago. That's always been an aspiration of mine even when I was in the House of Representatives."

In a statement released Tuesday, Emanuel did not indicate whether he will pursue the seat, but did say he was surprised by Daley's decision.

"While Mayor Daley surprised me today with his decision to not run for reelection, I have never been surprised by his leadership, dedication and tireless work on behalf of the city and the people of Chicago," Emanuel said.

With the election to be held early next year, Emanuel will have to decide quickly whether to leave the White House and launch a bid for the office.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ot-seek-another-term-as-chicago-mayor/?hpt=T2

Sonora Rebel

My wife 'n her 6 siblings are all from Chi-Town. 'Bout every 3rd noob down here is a recent escapee from Chi-town / Crook County. Daley always reminded me of a mob-boss thug... 'n I'm prob'ly not that far off the mark. Now the Devil himself (Rahm) wants the job. Don't y'all have any honest, regular folks in Chicago?

Last edited:

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
......Regular people like Republicans?!? That is what I am hoping for.........That is what it will take before I will have a chance (in my lifetime) to protect myself in Chicago without going to jail!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1791!!

kimber10mm

why

Daley was elected mayor on April 4, 1989, to complete the term of the late Harold Washington, and was re-elected in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007 according to his biography.

if RD is such a POS then why has he been re-elected so many times?

the people of daleyville sure has gotten what they have asked for

Sonora Rebel

From the responses to this news... apparently the people of Daleyville's eyes glaze over at the thought (or non-thought) of bearing arms. All the interest is comin' from someplace else. Well... ya get the government you deserve. 'Can't feel sorry for those who haven't a clue to begin with. All the gun owneres must've left already.

junglebob

if RD is such a POS then why has he been re-elected so many times?

the people of daleyville sure has gotten what they have asked for

Have you heard of the Democratic Machine. There are a lot of dead people who vote in Chicago. The alderman are beholden to Daley, some because he appointed them and then helped them get elected. The alderman do favors for those who vote for them. There aren't enough Chicago people like Otis McDonald that will oppose him.

awnuts

Well after living on the Northside 43 years and born in chicago i can tell you how this came to be.The old man Daley had patronage workers, part of thier job at election time they were required to go door knocking in each precint to get votes. This tradition carried on till today. The aldermen and precint captains work the precincts getting votes for their boss.City workers do the same. Chicago for the most part is a democrat town.So its likely to see another democrat mayor.Its a payback to the mayor for letting you work there. Ya know 4 guys standing around a sewer hole looking down the hole. Or 6 guys with shovels and two digging. Or cops that dont show up till after the shootings done. I've seen chicagos finest sitting at montrose harbor drinking and shooting beer cans in the water. Whos going to call the cops lol.

awnuts

From the responses to this news... apparently the people of Daleyville's eyes glaze over at the thought (or non-thought) of bearing arms. All the interest is comin' from someplace else. Well... ya get the government you deserve. 'Can't feel sorry for those who haven't a clue to begin with. All the gun owneres must've left already.

Yep I left a few years ago and dont look back. Its the greatest living in a gun friendly state.Ammo delivered to my door can open carry where I want for the most part and plenty of places to go shooting.