• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help..new to open carry with questions

jasonman17

ok now i'm really confused here. I was reading on MICHIGANOPENCARRY.ORG site about pistol free zones. What are the pistol free zones for NON-CPL holders open carry, pistol free zones for CPL holder concealed carry and pistol free zones for CPL holders open carry. From what the site says and the state police website the zones are the same for non-CPL holders open carry, and CPL holders when concealing. Am I right? I am also confused on how a CPL holder can open carry in all pistol free zones. I did read your 3 fold letter on the site and thats what confused me. Thanks for your help!! I really want to feel confident on open carry and the law so if I get stoped by law enforcement I want to know my rights ahead of time. Thanks.

extra: called westland police and they told me you can open carry in all areas except in no pistol zones. He kept saying that a CPL does not give you any more right on open carry of a firearm as cpl is only conceal carry and open carry is just a state law. Isnt there something stating different in the law about that? if so where at?

PDinDetroit

Welcome to OCDO!

Yes, MI Law can be confusing and even most Police Departments do not have the correct information. I have attached some easier to utilize information. I will provide some additional links for review.

Firearms Restrictions (Open Carry without CPL): http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-234d

Firearms Restrictions (CPL Pistol-Free Zones): http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425o

Michigan Attorney General Opinion #7113 (Open Carry allowed in CPL Pistol Free Zones): http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10188.htm

PDinDetroit

extra: called westland police and they told me you can open carry in all areas except in no pistol zones. He kept saying that a CPL does not give you any more right on open carry of a firearm as cpl is only conceal carry and open carry is just a state law. Isnt there something stating different in the law about that? if so where at?

The Westland Police Department appears to not be aware of Michigan Attorney General Opinion #7113.

PDinDetroit

Please read the following thread that will help you in the event you have a Police/LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) interaction.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?50010-WASH-RINSE-REPEAT

We also suggest obtaining an Audio Recorder at a minimum that can be used in the event of issues occurring. We have made great strides with Open Carry here in MI, but the possibility still exists that a Police Officer/Department may infringe upon your rights (knowingly or unknowingly) and/or other persons may react strongly to your exercise of rights. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive and most of that is the way you carry yourself while Open Carrying.

We also suggest you come to an event or contact someone in your area to OC with at first - it helps you to get "over the hump" and provides a better sense of confidence.

stainless1911

Banned
pdf.gif
Carry Chart - amended.pdf

This should help, its in the following thread.
Michigan open carry reference chart

Keep in mind that you need a CPL to carry in a vehicle, including bicycles.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Please read the following thread that will help you in the event you have a Police/LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) interaction.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?50010-WASH-RINSE-REPEAT

We also suggest obtaining an Audio Recorder at a minimum that can be used in the event of issues occurring. We have made great strides with Open Carry here in MI, but the possibility still exists that a Police Officer/Department may infringe upon your rights (knowingly or unknowingly) and/or other persons may react strongly to your exercise of rights. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive and most of that is the way you carry yourself while Open Carrying.

We also suggest you come to an event or contact someone in your area to OC with at first - it helps you to get "over the hump" and provides a better sense of confidence.

Good advice!

Allow me to add.... there are video with audio recorders that can be had for the price of a just audio recorder. I prefer video with audio because then there is no question about who said what... their face is right there.

And allow me to expand on the "how you carry yourself while Open Carrying" part of PDinDetroit's post.

I understand that everyday when I am out and about wearing my sidearm I am an ambassador for gun rights and my appearance and behavior influences the perspectives and attitudes about guns in public of everyone who sees me. .. including LEO's and their decisions on whether to "check me out" or not. With that in mind I'm clean and neat in my appearance and I behave in a peaceful, calm, polite, and confident manner. Even during the extremely few negative incidents I've been involved in I maintained that peaceful, calm, polite, and confident manner.... knowing the entire thing is being captured on video and audio for later if needed.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
They still don't know pistol law? Come on now!

This is the same town that had the "open carry incident" near the secretary of state office. Where an open carrier was illegally: detained, threatened by police & then ticketed for brandishing even though his sidearm was holstered. This prompted action from MOC & I attended the OC picnic in April of this year held just blocks from their police station. Their chief issued a city wide bulletin explaining OC was legal. Also be aware this is dougwg's home town & I'm sure he has been in communication with them regarding pistol law. Maybe it's time for senior MOC officials to speak with the chief again & make sure his officers haven't reverted back to their old ways.

This example only strengthens the need for case law on OC/pistol carry laws in MI. Just my honest opinion here. Maybe Westland would be a good test case, hell I'll be the guinea pig if no one else will?

jasonman17

Can I video and record with my phone while a officer is talking to me? Can he tell me not to record him? Also does a store have to have something posted for me not to carry in a store or area with out a cpl.

kyleplusitunes

in Michigan as long as your conversation takes place in a spot where the party has no expectation of privacy, you can record. if a store has a sign, you can still go in, but you must leave when asked

jasonman17

Could you explain abit more on expectation of privacy and maybe an example of where that would be. I'm unsure of what your saying. Also want to thank everyone that has been helping me understand laws and info on open carry. I still feel kinda weird and out of place walking while open carry because it feels like I'm the only one doing it in my area in Mt.pleasant.

WARCHILD

Can I video and record with my phone while a officer is talking to me? Can he tell me not to record him? Also does a store have to have something posted for me not to carry in a store or area with out a cpl.

You are allowed to record "any" conversation of which "you" are part of. You do not have to inform them you are recording or have their permission to do so.
The "wire tap" laws pertain to recording 3rd party conversations of which "you" are NOT a participant of the conversation being recorded.
Yes the cop can ask you anything...but he has no authority to make you stop recording or to prevent you from doing so.

B

Bikenut

A scenario... and I chose a bathroom because the "entitlement to privacy" thing is easy to understand in a bathroom.... and a "casual conversation" with an off duty cop happened to me at the A&W in Mason.

Cop starts a conversation.. or even a "stop" with you in a bathroom. There are also 3 other people in that bathroom talking. You record the conversation between you and the officer but your recorder also picks up the unrelated conversation of the other 3 guys.

Ok.. a bathroom is a place where there is a very high entitlement to privacy... and the law requires the consent of everyone being recorded in a place with an entitlement to privacy.

1. Is it legal to record a "casual conversation" between you and the cop?
2. Is it legal to record a "stop" involving you and the cop?
3. Is it legal to inadvertently record the unrelated conversation of the other 3 guys while recording the conversation between you and the cop?

I'll give my understanding of the law first hoping folks will pick it apart and I'll learn more.

1. No, it is not legal to record a "casual conversation" even with a cop because even the cop, on or off duty during a "casual conversation", has an entitlement to privacy in a bathroom.

2. This I am unclear on whether or not the place would determine if consent is needed during an official encounter. Somehow I suspect it might.

3. No, it is not legal to record... even inadvertently during a "stop"... the unrelated conversation of the other 3 guys because they all have an entitlement to privacy in a bathroom... plus, since you yourself are not involved in that conversation of the 3 guys, it would be eavesdropping to record it.... unless you get the permission of the 3 guys to record.

I think 1. and 3. would not only make the recording inadmissible in court but would also leave you open to charges of violating the recording laws.

I also think that if, during a "casual conversation" or a "stop" with an officer in a bathroom, a grunt or passing of gas from a stall is recorded the permission of the grunter/passer would be required to make the recording legal. No permission equals an illegal recording because of the "entitlement to privacy" thing.

I eagerly await the comments of the more learned amongst us.

TheQ

A scenario... and I chose a bathroom because the "entitlement to privacy" thing is easy to understand in a bathroom.... and a "casual conversation" with an off duty cop happened to me at the A&W in Mason.

Can you cite any MCLs/AGOs/Case Law for your opinions?

lapeer20m

I disagree with your interpretation bike...

I think you can record any conversation you are part of, even if it happens in a place that has an expectation of privacy, ie: the bathroom, because eavesdropping is the recording of the private discourse of OTHERS.

Any person who is present or who is not present during a private conversation and who wilfully uses any device to eavesdrop upon the conversation without the consent of all parties

http://legislature.mi.gov/(S(uj05te...c&query=on&highlight=private AND conversation

“eavesdrop” is to “overhear, record, amplify or transmit any part of the private discourse of others

also, if you inadvertently record the conversation of others in the above scenario, it would appear to be lawful if you were not wilfully trying to record their conversation.

i am not a lawyer, and i did not search for any case law on the subject, just the mcl's

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Can you cite any MCLs/AGOs/Case Law for your opinions?

These are the laws that formed my beliefs of what the laws say that I stated in my prior post...

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.539d Installation, placement, or use of device for observing, recording, transmitting, photographing or eavesdropping in private place.
Sec. 539d.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Install, place, or use in any private place, without the consent of the person or persons entitled to privacy in that place, any device for observing, recording, transmitting, photographing, or eavesdropping upon the sounds or events in that place.

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.539a Definitions.

Sec. 539a.

As used in sections 539a to 539i:

(1) “Private place” means a place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from casual or hostile intrusion or surveillance but does not include a place to which the public or substantial group of the public has access.

(2) “Eavesdrop” or “eavesdropping” means to overhear, record, amplify or transmit any part of the private discourse of others without the permission of all persons engaged in the discourse. Neither this definition or any other provision of this act shall modify or affect any law or regulation concerning interception, divulgence or recording of messages transmitted by communications common carriers.

(3) “Surveillance” means to secretly observe the activities of another person for the purpose of spying upon and invading the privacy of the person observed.

(4) “Person” means any individual, partnership, corporation or association.

Hence, to me, those laws say anyone... anyone at all, including a cop,... who is in a private place where there is an entitlement to privacy... must give permission to be recorded whether conversing with me or not.... or farting.

If I have the incorrect beliefs... please, and I say this in all sincerity, correct me.