• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 234 Signed by Gov

Fits

Just now received the email, and yeah; depending upon one's point of view something to celebrate or disown.

77zach

You may now open carry if you have a CWFL..... Briefly.

I've changed my mind and am glad he signed it. "Briefly" will be crossed out.......someday.

Last edited:

RRobaldo

I celebrated by standing next to my car and "briefly and openly" holstered it into it's ccw position.

This is much better than trying to become some kind of contortionist holstering my sidearm while seated in my car without being seen and without shooting myself in the arse.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm carrying my 1911 in Serpa under t-short at 10 O'Clock Crossdraw. The printing is obnoxious. So will be the brief exposures when the wind blows, when I reach up on shelves... Stupid.

77zach

I'm carrying my 1911 in Serpa under t-short at 10 O'Clock Crossdraw. The printing is obnoxious. So will be the brief exposures when the wind blows, when I reach up on shelves... Stupid.

Since April I've been doing springfield xd-9 full size in a bianchi carry-lok OWB. No question that I'm carrying. No comments. An ocala pd officer looked me over for awhile last week, then left. no one has said anything.

Last edited:

Mas49.56

I walked down the driveway OC tonight and "Briefly" stepped into the road and got my mail from the box. Yay.:banghead:

Alude904

Haha. The leos are going to have a field day with this one. How many departments do you think are made aware of this new statute? I say probably half.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Haha. The leos are going to have a field day with this one. How many departments do you think are made aware of this new statute? I say probably half.

I'd probably say 2...
wonder whether the first "Briefly" case will result in a CCW misdemeanor open carry charge or a fired LEO for wrongful arrest...

If a case gets to court, I'm pretty sure one of those two is gonna happen, and this'll HAVE to go back to the legislature to strike "in a lawfully concealed manner" and "briefly and" out of the statute.

Last edited:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I'd probably say 2...
wonder whether the first "Briefly" case will result in a CCW misdemeanor open carry charge or a fired LEO for wrongful arrest...

If a case gets to court, I'm pretty sure one of those two is gonna happen, and this'll HAVE to go back to the legislature to strike "in a lawfully concealed manner" and "briefly and" out of the statute.

Absolutely vague language almost akin to Papachristou v. Jacksonville. Here's praying that the one word, "briefly," gets killed in the courts "briefly." Unfortunately, Phoenix, the first briefly case is going to result in both an open carry charge and an eventual wrongful arrest lawsuit against the LEOs after a "brief" acquittal. I'd certainly love to be the defense attorney on the case.

Last edited:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I say, lets come up with a letter and have emailed or faxed to your local PD with SB-234 info.

Homestead? They do whatever they want. The main issue we face, however, is that the law itself is so vague as to be almost unintelligible.

Dear Homestead Cops: This letter serves to advise you that the citizens of your humble agrarian town may now briefly display their firearms, as long as such display is not construed (in your infinite wisdom and discretion) as angry in nature.

It ain't exactly easy to explain.

hammer6

if there was a "like" button for this post, i would have clicked it. lol

crashnjax

Absolutely vague language almost akin to Papachristou v. Jacksonville. Here's praying that the one word, "briefly," gets killed in the courts "briefly." Unfortunately, Phoenix, the first briefly case is going to result in both an open carry charge and an eventual wrongful arrest lawsuit against the LEOs after a "brief" acquittal. I'd certainly love to be the defense attorney on the case.

Hmmm well you better move to jax, and bring angie with you, woohoo. Seriously though its either going to happen in JAX, Tampa, Miami, or Orlando w/regards to 1st charge for a CW brief display.

77zach

Hmmm well you better move to jax, and bring angie with you, woohoo. Seriously though its either going to happen in JAX, Tampa, Miami, or Orlando w/regards to 1st charge for a CW brief display.

I wonder. There were arrests for violating 790.53 in the past but no charges brought forward. Arrests/hassles would get the attention of the NRA gatekeepers, but as far as this going to court, anti-gun prosecutors know doing so could easily give Fl licensed OC-which for reasons mysterious to me, they were very much against. I think they'll just rely on LEO terrorism to chill any tests of this ridiculous language.

Last edited:

Alude904

I can see many jso officers being dicks about this as i know a few.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I wonder. There were arrests for violating 790.53 in the past but no charges brought forward. Arrests/hassles would get the attention of the NRA gatekeepers, but as far as this going to court, anti-gun prosecutors know doing so could easily give Fl licensed OC-which for reasons mysterious to me, they were very much against. I think they'll just rely on LEO terrorism to chill any tests of this ridiculous language.

I defended an arrest and prosecution for not having a weapon "securely encased." the log revealed just a gun; the intake video (which should have been given to the defendant, per Brady v Maryland, not subpoenaed) revealed a gun and a nice zipped bag.

Arrests and prosecutions for "briefly displayed" will happen. The temptation for the officer is too great. It's like not arresting someone for "loitering and prowling" when it's at their full discretion. Boy, would I love that case.