• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My "Business Ethics" course paper on "gun free" zones (post Aurora, format edited)

We-the-People

My "Business Ethics" course paper on "gun free" zones (post Aurora, format edited)

Security increased at movies following shootings​

Summary:

In the wake of the July 20 shooting rampage in Aurora Colorado security is being increased at similar locations. The Wall Street Journal article, published July 22, discusses the security procedures being taken by movie theaters in the wake of the Aurora tragedy. In general, security has been heightened at theaters across the country in the wake of the Aurora shootings. Some jurisdictions are posting, or posting more, police officers at movie theaters. Some theaters, including the nation’s largest chain, have “barred patrons from wearing masks or costumes” which may affect sci-fi movie fans who often dress up for movies they attend. Other locations are searching “moviegoers' bags and purses” (Katz, Sullivan, Nuckols, Walters, Suhr, & Welsh-Huggins, 2012).

According to New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, discussing the posting of officers at New York theaters showing the Batman movie, “we're doing this to raise the comfort level” (Katz, et al., 2012). While closing the gate behind the horse may prevent a possible “copycat” incident, it does nothing to increase security and does not address the long-term financial costs of that security.

The solution to this problem is not increasing police and private security measures but rather, increasing the responsibility and ability of individuals to provide for their own security by recognizing their basic human right to do so.
Under consequentialist moral theories, “the moral rightness of an action is determined solely by its results” (Shaw & Barry, p. 52). When the theater in Aurora banned its customers from possessing an effective means of self-defense while on the theater’s premises, they effectively created what is often referred to as a “gun free” zone. Unfortunately, an attacker can be fairly certain they will meet no, or at worst minimal, resistance in such locations. The business making such a decision has placed itself morally responsible for the safety and security of their customers. Yet the theater, and to be fair most businesses, that declare themselves to be “gun free” zones are “playing the odds” that there won’t be a serious incident rather than providing the level of security morally required by their decision to strip customers of any means of self-defense or resistance to violence. This business decision is unethical and immoral as it deprives citizens of their basic human right to life and defending that life.

The solution is simple. Businesses must embrace the basic human right of their customers, to be able to defend themselves, by ending the practice of banning firearms in their facilities. Such “bans” only affect the law-abiding citizen. Any person intent on wreaking havoc will obviously ignore such “bans” just as they ignore existing laws against assault, murder, and the like. This is abundantly clear when one reviews the location of mass shootings in the U.S. Of fifteen mass shootings documented by WTMJ and KYTX news stations, at least eleven were “gun free” zones by act of law or private business policy (Reed J, 2009 & 19 KYTX, 2012).

• Oct 16, 1991: Luby’s café, Killeen TX, 23 dead plus shooter (TX law prohibited firearms in the café)
• March 24, 1998: Jonesboro Middle School, AK 5 dead, 10 wounded (gun free zone)
• Apr 20, 1999 : Columbine HS, Littleton CO, 13 dead plus 2 shooters, 23 wounded (gun free zone)
• July 29, 1999: Atlanta GA, 9 dead plus shooter
• Mar 12, 2005: Brookfield Sheraton, Brookfield WI, 7 dead plus shooter, 4 wounded
• Mar 21, 2005: Red Lake HS, MN, 7 dead + shooter, 7 wounded (+2 others off school) (gun free zone)
• Oct 2, 2006: West Nickel Mines School, PA, 5 dead plus shooter (gun free zone)
• Feb 12, 2007: Tolley Square Mall, Salt Lake City UT, 5 dead +shooter, 4 wounded
(malls typically prohibit firearms)
• Apr 16, 2007: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA, 32 dead plus shooter (college was a gun free zone)
• Dec 5, 2007: Westroads Mall, Omaha NE, 8 dead +shooter, 5 wounded
• Feb 14, 2008: Northern IL University, 5 dead plus shooter, 18 wounded
(Illinois does not allow citizen carry of firearms)
• March 10, 2009: Kinston AL, 10 plus shooter dead
• Apr 3, 2009: Binghamton NY, 13 plus shooter dead, 4 injured
• Nov 5, 2009: Fort Hood TX, 13 dead, 32 injured
(military bases prohibit being armed except Military Police)
• July 20, 2012: Aurora CO, 12 dead, 50 plus injured (theater is “gun free” zone)

Conclusion:

For businesses, the issue of customer security is a difficult one. In a declining economy where sales are down and minimal profits are a welcome alternative to the red ink so many face, providing security is a delicate balancing act. On one hand, theaters must at least appear to be concerned about the safety of their patrons. On the other hand, they cannot afford to make that security so intrusive that it turns customers away to the myriad options for movie viewing available in today’s technologically dominated culture. Nor can they afford to incur new long-term costs without raising ticket prices. Finding the appropriate balance of security to protect customers, while remaining unobtrusive is a difficult problem at best. However, businesses that rely upon the concept of “gun free zones”, such as the one at the theater in Aurora, have a moral obligation to provide that expensive security.

Considering the increased costs associated with hiring additional security, it is unlikely that the theater industry could survive the additional costs in the long term. Raising ticket prices in order to absorb the cost of increased security will, under the basic theory of supply and demand, result in a further drop in attendance (an increase in the price point of “optional goods” results in a drop in demand). This reduction will then facilitate further decline of the industry and its ability to afford security measures.

The economic inability of the industry to support higher costs for security, combined with consequentialist theory that morally requires businesses to take responsibility for their actions, and the known failure of “gun free” zones to prevent violent incidents, all indicate that business must recognize and embrace the right of their customers to defend themselves. Rather than implementing “gun free” zones, more appropriately called “self-defense free” zones; businesses need to allow law-abiding customers the ability to defend themselves. By banning law abiding customers from carrying firearms on their premises, the theater in Aurora enabled the shooter to kill twelve and wound more than fifty defenseless citizens.

References

19 KYTX News. (2012, July 27). Timeline: Worst mass shootings in U.S. In 19 KYTX News. Retrieved July 28, 2012, from http://www.cbs19.tv/story/19135211/timeline-worst-mass-shootings-in-us

Katz, A., Sullivan, E., Nuckols, B., Walters, P., Suhr, J., & Welsh-Huggins, A. (2012, July 22). Security increased at movies following shootings . In The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved July 26, 2012, from http://online.wsj.com/article/APeb230c30ef0b4989a01ad274c0c3f97a.html?KEYWORDS=aurora

Reed, J. (2009). Worst U.S. mass shootings in recent years. In 620 WTMJ NewsRadio. Retrieved July 28, 2012, from http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/69327462.html?action=quotecomment&cid=97057796&page=2

Shaw, H., & Barry, V. (2007). Moral issues in business (10th ed., p. 52). Belmont, CA: Thompson Wadsworth.

Merlin

Well said. This would make a nice "letter to the editor" of some newspapers.

I would change one thing. Work in the phrase "Victim Disarmament Zone". I think that is the most accurate term to describe it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

We-the-People

I felt that comparing "gun free" zones to "self-defense" free zones and only doing so once in the paper was a much more subtle way to get the point across without smacking the bleeders to hard. I've found that sometimes you can put a little thought in their heads and it will grow. Put too much emphasis on it and they fight tooth and nail to defend their flawed thought process.

But thanks for the comments.

OC for ME

• Oct 16, 1991: Luby’s café, Killeen TX, 23 dead plus shooter (TX law prohibited firearms in the café)
• March 24, 1998: Jonesboro Middle School, AK 5 dead, 10 wounded (gun free zone)
• Apr 20, 1999 : Columbine HS, Littleton CO, 13 dead plus 2 shooters, 23 wounded (gun free zone)
• Mar 12, 2005: Brookfield Sheraton, Brookfield WI, 7 dead plus shooter, 4 wounded
• Mar 21, 2005: Red Lake HS, MN, 7 dead + shooter, 7 wounded (+2 others off school) (gun free zone)
• Oct 2, 2006: West Nickel Mines School, PA, 5 dead plus shooter (gun free zone)
• Feb 12, 2007: Tolley Square Mall, Salt Lake City UT, 5 dead +shooter, 4 wounded
• Apr 16, 2007: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA, 32 dead plus shooter (college was a gun free zone)
• Dec 5, 2007: Westroads Mall, Omaha NE, 8 dead +shooter, 5 wounded
• Feb 14, 2008: Northern IL University, 5 dead plus shooter, 18 wounded
• Nov 5, 2009: Fort Hood TX, 13 dead, 32 injured
• July 20, 2012: Aurora CO, 12 dead, 50 plus injured (theater is “gun free” zone)
Loony-lib-sock-puppet.jpegretort:

If we banned guns, and then confiscated all guns like they did in England and Australia those incidents would not have happened.

Ironbar

WTP,

Since I know you generally don't like me, I'm going to refrain from pointing out all the grammatical and logic errors in your essay. But I will at least say, there's lots of them.

Cheers.

We-the-People

WTP,

Since I know you generally don't like me, I'm going to refrain from pointing out all the grammatical and logic errors in your essay. But I will at least say, there's lots of them.

Cheers.

It's not an English comp class, it's a business ethics course. I researched and wrote it in about 3 hours. It will get a B or A grade which is sufficient for my purposes (course grade of A). I'm not worried about any gramatical errors that weren't caught by my word processor which is Office 2010 (the instructor uses Office 2007 so she won't catch them either). As for any logic errors, the left doesn't have any logic to their arguments so I'm not too worried about it.

Never said I don't like you, I don't know you. Perhaps you're like me. Most people think I'm an arrogant, right wing, opinionated arse before they get to know me. My last GF (a "bleeding heart" "flower power" type liberal) thought I was an arse when she first encountered me in a philosophy course. By the end of the next quarter (ethics) I was still and arse but I was "her arsehole"...even after espousing chopping up a terroists family if it would get the disarmament information out of him for the "ticking time bomb (nuclear)" in downtown LA.

You're probably a pretty nice guy, just like me.

KYKevin

How about this for a card.

GUN FREE ZONES

• March 24, 1998: Jonesboro Middle School, AR 5 dead, 10 wounded (gun free zone)
• Feb 12, 2007: Tolley Square Mall, Salt Lake City UT, 5 dead +shooter, 4 wounded*
• Dec 5, 2007: Westroads Mall, Omaha NE, 8 dead +shooter, 5 wounded*
• Feb 14, 2008: Northern IL University, 5 dead plus shooter, 18 wounded*
• Nov 5, 2009: Fort Hood TX, 13 dead, 32 injured*
• (Insert next GUN FREE ZONE HERE)

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have noticed several grammatical errors. I don't know how anal your instructor is about such errors, but I know most of mine go crazy over the smallest mistakes. Please don't think I am being rude. I always appreciate it when people proof read my work.

hjmoosejaw

How about this for a card.

GUN FREE ZONES

• March 24, 1998: Jonesboro Middle School, AR 5 dead, 10 wounded (gun free zone)
• Feb 12, 2007: Tolley Square Mall, Salt Lake City UT, 5 dead +shooter, 4 wounded*
• Dec 5, 2007: Westroads Mall, Omaha NE, 8 dead +shooter, 5 wounded*
• Feb 14, 2008: Northern IL University, 5 dead plus shooter, 18 wounded*
• Nov 5, 2009: Fort Hood TX, 13 dead, 32 injured*
• (Insert next GUN FREE ZONE HERE)

I think it would make a hell of a card!

We-the-People

Its a good list ... but you could have added all 800+ gun related deaths in chicago lol...

too easy I guess.

It's a quick list, developed from only two sources. Some time back when I was studying school violence I found it necessary to use a LOT of references in order to get all school firearm and death incidents into my database. You'd think the "official" numbers would have them all...wouldn't ya??

KYKevin

It's a quick list, developed from only two sources. Some time back when I was studying school violence I found it necessary to use a LOT of references in order to get all school firearm and death incidents into my database. You'd think the "official" numbers would have them all...wouldn't ya??

Some people tend to ignore facts when it does not suit their agenda. I find it very sad.

KYKevin

I think it would make a hell of a card!

A bit long winded I guess but a few people have tended to get offended of the gun free zone quote on the back of my oc card now.

Gun free zones: If you had to take your children to a parents free playground and while the children were playing a pedophile showed up. Would you trust a sign to keep your children safe from him? Don't trust a gun free zone sign to protect you and your family from a criminal.

Ironbar

It's not an English comp class, it's a business ethics course. I researched and wrote it in about 3 hours. It will get a B or A grade which is sufficient for my purposes (course grade of A). I'm not worried about any gramatical errors that weren't caught by my word processor which is Office 2010 (the instructor uses Office 2007 so she won't catch them either). As for any logic errors, the left doesn't have any logic to their arguments so I'm not too worried about it.

Ahhhh, OK. So here are my take-away's from that statement:

1) You whipped it out in three hours, so not a lot of care taken.
2) It will still get a B or A, so your prof. is what- generally apathetic? Calling it in until retirement? Lazy?
3) You're relying on a machine to catch grammatical errors, when all it's really doing is catching typo's.
4) The "Left' doesn't have any logic to their arguments, so your essay doesn't need to be logical either?

The irony here is that it's for a business ethics class, and your whole attitude toward the assignment belies pretty sketchy ethics!

We-the-People

Well apparently the PhD professor didn't see any gramatical errors as the paper earned a grade of 100%. Pretty damn good I'd think considering that it's a pro guns, pro citizen carry, paper submitted in the academic environment. Apparently not all professors are left leaning and biased in their grading.

Maybe I should see about an "Examiner" writing slot. Hmmmm write more stuff? Nah, not just yet. LOL

I'm still peeved about the abreviation for Arkansas that I screwed up but alas.

KYKevin

Well apparently the PhD professor didn't see any gramatical errors as the paper earned a grade of 100%. Pretty damn good I'd think considering that it's a pro guns, pro citizen carry, paper submitted in the academic environment. Apparently not all professors are left leaning and biased in their grading.

Maybe I should see about an "Examiner" writing slot. Hmmmm write more stuff? Nah, not just yet. LOL

Congratz on your paper.

Ironbar

Well, she obviously didn't get her PhD in English, because regardless of whether she saw them or not, your essay was rife with errors, and quite frankly poorly written. So, I'm assuming your prof. is simply apathetic.

*EDIT* I just re-read the entire essay again to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. I take back what I said about your prof. being apathetic.

Your prof. is an idiot.

Last edited: