• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An Utah takes the Lead

anmut

Isn't the GFSZ a federal law? Even if the permits are sanctioned by the state for on school grounds use wouldn't it still violate the federal statute?

Snake161

Perhaps they decided that Uncle Sam doesn't have their best interest in mind anymore....and have decided that decisions should just be left to respective states such as this and closer to home....perhaps we the people should take a cue from this as well.....

JoeSparky

Centurion
Isn't the GFSZ a federal law? Even if the permits are sanctioned by the state for on school grounds use wouldn't it still violate the federal statute?

Yes the Federal GFSZS is federal This same federal law allows those with carry permits issued by the state in which the school is located to carry within the 1000 foot bubble zone. Utah law also allows for those with a permit issued by ANY State to carry in schools. Utah's concealed carry permit ALLOWS concealed carry but does not require it so we here in Utah understand the law to allow open or concealed carry in public schools to be lawful under the Federal and State laws

Beware however the federal law has no exemption for discharge of any firearm within the 1000 foot buffer zone for anyone even if you can lawfully possess within the buffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firearms Iinstuctor

The GFZS allows the head of the school to permits firearms in the school zone.

That allows gun shows ,hunter safety training, teachers to be armed ect.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Utah, New Hampshire and Oregon allow any permit/license holder yo carry inside schools. Michigan allows permit/license holders to only open carry in schools.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

JJC

Utah has it right in their CCW stat, It's legal for a person with a CCW to carry in schools.

They let one carry in a school, but not in a Church. (without permission).

JJC

paul@paul-fisher.com

They let one carry in a school, but not in a Church. (without permission).

JJC

No, you can carry in a church in Utah unless notified you can't. There can be a blanket notification such as the Mormon churches but otherwise have at it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...They let one carry in a school, but not in a Church. (without permission)...

You do not need permission to carry in a church. You just can't have been expressly told not to, including the Mormon Church's registration as a GFZ on the UT state website.

MKEgal

anmut said:
There are federal & state laws.
The federal law makes a handful of exceptions to that "gun-free" status, among them having a carry license issued by the state in which the school sits.
18USC922(q)(2)(b) are the exceptions. WI refers to the federal law for most of our "GF"SZ law, but doesn't allow licensees to carry on the property (unless they happen to fit one of the other exceptions). The federal law makes no distinction between the school building & 2.5 blocks away on the sidewalk. UT law follows federal law.

Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
Here's the exemptions in the WI law - 948.605.
Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
1m. A person who possesses the firearm in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv), (v), (vi), or (vii).

1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

2m. A state-certified commission warden acting in his or her official capacity.

3. That is not loaded and is:
a. Encased; or
b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

3m. A person who is legally hunting in a school forest if the school board has decided that hunting may be allowed in the school forest under s. 120.13 (38).

Last edited: