• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for XD 45 (Safariland/Serpa)

sultan62

I'm getting a holster for my XD 45 4", and have all but decided on the Safariland 6378. I've just got a couple of questions.

1. Does the release system interfere with the safety?

2. Is the safety inside or outside the holster?

3. Is there any reason either the Safariland or the Serpa is better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

irish

I'm getting a holster for my XD 45 4", and have all but decided on the Safariland 6378. I've just got a couple of questions.

1. Does the release system interfere with the safety?

2. Is the safety inside or outside the holster?

3. Is there any reason either the Safariland or the Serpa is better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

The ALS locking system of the 6378 is far better than the Serpa for many reasons. One of the primary ones is that you're using your thumb to disengage the lock VS pressing into the trigger area with the Serpa. Any holster that requires your TRIGGER finger to push inward to activate the release is an AD waiting to happen. This is a pretty good read on the Serpa: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=49242&highlight=serpa

sultan62

The ALS locking system of the 6378 is far better than the Serpa for many reasons. One of the primary ones is that you're using your thumb to disengage the lock VS pressing into the trigger area with the Serpa. Any holster that requires your TRIGGER finger to push inward to activate the release is an AD waiting to happen. This is a pretty good read on the Serpa: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=49242&highlight=serpa

I've seen this argument before, and when I tried the Serpa holster I had no problem with it. This is IMO because I have trained to draw with my trigger finger horizontal along the side of the handgun. Also, I use the knuckle of my index finger to depress the button, so I don't curl my finger at all to draw from the Serpa. I am leaning toward the Safariland because I like the idea of the thumb deactivation, but this is mainly because the release mechanism is not obvious to any potential BG. (Yes, I know there is a lack of documented cases showing a BG takeaway, but better safe than sorry.)

However, after reading the multiple reviews from people that have had the "trigger finger" problem, I see no advantage to it and a possible, though remote, disadvantage. Again, better safe than sorry.

I have seen no one talk bad about the Safariland, where I have seen people talk bad about the Serpa. Anyone have anything bad to say about the Safariland? I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I buy.

sultan62

Also, not considering leather. Frankly, the gun is too ugly for it.:eek:

Although, I have a beautiful leather holster for my .357 if I ever decide to OC it instead.:D

daddy4count

I don't own a Safariland holster, but I do carry an XD45 in a Serpa. Most of the time I carry in leather, but as for the Serpa:

It is the only poly holster I like, can be worn for OC and CC (though it sticks out farther than leather in CC)

It is also the only paddle holster I like... I also have a Fobus and the Serpa on paddle is far superior in retention, comfort and stability. The "butt flop" I always experience on a paddle almost disappears with the Serpa. It is not as steady as being on a belt, but it's dang close.

Add to that the drop-leg, thigh mount platform from BLACKHAWK and my Serpa is the most versatile holster I own. Granted, this piece does not come with the Serpa like the belt and paddle mounts.

I really like the button where it is on the Serpa. I also trained to draw with my trigger finger parallel to the slide, extended, above the trigger... "at the ready" she called it... so the Serpa becomes very natural, very quickly. As to whether it presents a danger of AD during the draw, I would say that has little to do with the holster and everything to do with the finger. ;)

Having it in a similar position to the thumb break on my leather units would be cool too though...

sultan62

It (Serpa) is the only poly holster I like

What other poly holsters have you used?

Also, I liked the Serpa fine when I tried it, but there are a couple of small things I like about the Safariland better, and I can get either for about the same price. Unfortunately, I haven't found a place locally that stocks the Safariland, and therefore haven't been able to try it out.

daddy4count

the only other poly I still have is the Fobus... held onto that one for a while until I found the Serpa.

I have tried one of Uncle Mikes Kydex and two others, though I don't recall what brand/model they were. I returned all of them before finally keeping the Fobus. I figured the loose, floppiness was just something you had to put up with.

Then I got my Serpa... had no intention of using it as a paddle... but since it came with the attachment I gave it a try. Much to my surprise!

sultan62

I ordered the Safariland for my XD 45, and the Serpa CQC for the Taurus 24/7. They're supposed to come in Friday, but I'll be out of town. I'll post an initial impression sometime next week.