• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

York County

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Any of the locals know if the beach at Yorktown near the old Post office is part of the Federal Park or is it owned by Yorktown?

It's odd, Municode doesn't even list the county of York that I can find.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Never Mind. I just got someone from the Sheriff's office. I sure wish they could be used as a standard for all law enforcement agencies in the state.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And the answer is?.....

The town still owns it. I'm going tomorrow. The gun isn't an issue on either the town or Federal parts, but I'll have my metal detector too and a gun and metal detector on the Federal side can get exciting.

MSC 45ACP

The town still owns it. I'm going tomorrow. The gun isn't an issue on either the town or Federal parts, but I'll have my metal detector too and a gun and metal detector on the Federal side can get exciting.

Metal detector on federal land can be very exciting and financially unrewarding. You can use it on the beach, but don't even think about anywhere else around town with it. The whole place is a Historic Landmark.

Please PM me with info about your visit. Bridget and I would love to finally meet you if you have the time...

Mike

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Metal detector on federal land can be very exciting and financially unrewarding. You can use it on the beach, but don't even think about anywhere else around town with it. The whole place is a Historic Landmark.

Please PM me with info about your visit. Bridget and I would love to finally meet you if you have the time...

Mike

Yeah, if you get caught on the Federal side they take your detector and gun and the fine is big enough yo help Obama cure the Federal debt.
The Museum is still there and that has always been private property. but except for that, I'm OK from the bridge to the pier (which wasn't there the last time I was there).

I used to put my Kayak in at Post Office and take it out in the Bay.

I don't know what time we're going. I haven't been real well lately and getting moving has been a chore.
I'll PM if I can pin down a time.

t33j

Yeah, if you get caught on the Federal side they take your detector and gun and the fine is big enough yo help Obama cure the Federal debt.
The Museum is still there and that has always been private property. but except for that, I'm OK from the bridge to the pier (which wasn't there the last time I was there).

I used to put my Kayak in at Post Office and take it out in the Bay.

I don't know what time we're going. I haven't been real well lately and getting moving has been a chore.
I'll PM if I can pin down a time.
If it's before 4 or 5 today send me one to. Had to run down to Yorktown because my pump stopped working... POS.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry Guys. I did go today but I wasn't feeling well at all.
I actually had to stop metal detecting 3 times and sit down.

I talked to a Couple of Deputies.
They are just as pleasant as ever.

I can't say I'm crazy about the changes. It is touresty pretty but one of the things I liked were the Watermen.
As cranky and clannish as they were, I got along with them.

I didn't go over to gloucester. Hopefully there a few left there.

I had sort of a problem. I had so much stuff with me I couldn't handle a full sized camera.
I solved it by wearing my Jack Buster video sunglasses. They're fun to OC with anyway. I get to see more of the looks.

I hit the Mariners Museum and a few of the new shops and stopped at pig and pay in Williamsburg.

The new improved Yorktown has some people hanging around who are of extremely questionable orientation.:uhoh:

Here's a video link for the sunglasses tour. (Don't tell Paul, he'll hate it):lol:
http://vimeo.com/13443432

45acpForMe

Sorry Guys. I did go today but I wasn't feeling well at all.
I actually had to stop metal detecting 3 times and sit down. I talked to a Couple of Deputies. They are just as pleasant as ever.

I can't say I'm crazy about the changes. It is touresty pretty but one of the things I liked were the Watermen. As cranky and clannish as they were, I got along with them. I didn't go over to gloucester. Hopefully there a few left there.

I had sort of a problem. I had so much stuff with me I couldn't handle a full sized camera. I solved it by wearing my Jack Buster video sunglasses. They're fun to OC with anyway. I get to see more of the looks.

I hit the Mariners Museum and a few of the new shops and stopped at pig and pay in Williamsburg. The new improved Yorktown has some people hanging around who are of extremely questionable orientation.:uhoh:

Here's a video link for the sunglasses tour. (Don't tell Paul, he'll hate it):lol:
http://vimeo.com/13443432

Hope you feel better. I hope next time you come in town we can get a couple people together for lunch.

I had to smile at your "cranky" comment. Not saying anything but.... :lol:

Your video glasses were way cool. Two things I noticed 1) your head is on a swivel and I got dizzy more than once; 2) you wear sunglasses indoors? I'll have to check them out. I had bought a video pen with 8gb memory and the first one didn't work at all. The replacement worked at first, then I set it aside for a month and when I went to use it the darn thing didn't work anymore.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hope you feel better. I hope next time you come in town we can get a couple people together for lunch.

I had to smile at your "cranky" comment. Not saying anything but.... :lol:

Like I said...we get along..Birds of a feathe
r:lol:

Your video glasses were way cool. Two things I noticed 1) your head is on a swivel and I got dizzy more than once; 2) you wear sunglasses indoors?

That's something I have to work on. I have a habit of always looking around. It;s a combination of bygone days and hunting. Hunting habits are another issue. I look at the ground constantly for tracks so The glasses see a lot of mother earth.

This video was just for fun so I didn't follow the rules. I made it in normal 4 to 6 second clips and then rendered it .6 times the normal FPS of the clip.

That makes the transition faster and the artifacts it leaves makes the whole thing a little confusing.

No I don't normally wear them indoors but no one seems to notice

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I drove past the beach and on up the parkway to avoid a crash on 64 on my way back up North. I looked around for a guy with a gun or a metal detector but didn't find either.

Not knowing what to look for you probably walked right by Peter and didn't notice. I hacked into some of Yorktowns public surveillance cameras and got this picture of Peter. It doesn't look like he was feeling under the weather:

Last edited:

t33j

Not knowing what to look for you probably walked right by Peter and didn't notice. I hacked into some of Yorktowns public surveillance cameras and got this picture of Peter. It doesn't look like he was feeling under the weather:

View attachment 3295

lol
We've met; I know what he looks like. I was driving by and not making a point to intensely surveil the beach... although a few girls did catch my eye. Maybe I was just distracted :lol:

I like the music choice Don. :)

Last edited: