• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ar15

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgross85

Id like to know id if you can legally open carry an ar15 on a sling loaded in washington state and what the stipulations on how i can carry my ar15 this sounds kind of stupid but i wanna know what kinda fire arms are able to be carried on my persons, thanks for the time

Attachments

• blackberry pics 135.jpg
    blackberry pics 135.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 109

Jayd1981

First off, it is illegal to have a loaded rifle in a vehicle so you cannot transport it loaded. And in State v. Spencer he was charged under RCW 9.41.270 for carrying a visibly loaded AK-47 as he "walked fast with his head down". I have seen nothing that outlaws open carry of a rifle, however case law could be against you.

As a side note, I don't see anything against a hostered AR-15 pistol if you are trying to push boundries. It should be treated as a pistol while being almost guarenteed to get you noticed by the local LEO.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
In addition

This board is about the open carry of handguns. About normalizing the open carry of handguns. NOT about OCing of long guns. I suggest you take this question elsewhere.

jgross85

This board is about the open carry of handguns. About normalizing the open carry of handguns. NOT about OCing of long guns. I suggest you take this question elsewhere.

O i thought it was about open carry not just one type of gun my bad must have missed where it says close minded to being different on here.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Forum Rules

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

jgross85

forum rules

11) this web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily american life. do not start off topic threads or discussions such as promoting the carry of long guns. long guns are great! Ocdo co-founders john & mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Personal attacks removed by moderator

jgross85

these are the rules i saw so i didnt know thanks buddy

ok thank for being dumb and not helpful at all maybe well meet one day and talk about you being stupid instead of helpful **** *** have a good day

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

The law is always in a state of flux and even lawyers and judges get it wrong from time to time. All advice posted on this forum should be considered nothing more than hearsay. Even if a poster identifies themselves as an attorney, law enforcement official or expert in a given field, there is no way to verify that fact or that they are correct. Therefore, any and all advice you glean from this forum should be independently verified! NOTHING CONTAINED HEREIN SHOULD BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE!

ACCEPTANCE OF RULES

If you do not agree with any of these Rules then please do not use this site, because BY USING THIS SITE YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE IRREVOCABLY AGREED TO THESE RULES. Please note that these Rules may be revised and reissued without notice at any time. You should review the current Rules regularly, since your continued use of the site will be deemed as irrevocable acceptance of any revisions.

FORUM RULES

•YOU OWN YOUR WORDS ONCE THEY ARE POSTED: While we will attempt to help those who have a legitimate need to remove postings they have made in haste or error, our time and ability to do so is not unlimited and there is no guarantee that such a request will be granted. Therefore, post only those comments that you have considered and are willing to take full responsibility for!
•RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion.
•PRIVACY: We respect the privacy of our members and will NEVER sell or make available our member's email or other contact information to third-parties.
•RIGHT TO CONTACT: We reserve the right to contact our members via email about gun rights related initiatives. While we do offer a provision to opt-out of these mailings, we make no guarantees that such an opt-out will always be available.
•CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
•NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).
•NO SPAMMING: Links to spam/membership sites not related directly to firearms are NOT allowed under any circumstances! It is also considered spamming to post the same thread (even valid ones) to multiple forums.
•KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry, firearms and gun rights. Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
•HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religions, national origin, sexual orientation, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.
•WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such). The good news is that one of our newest sponsors, OutdoorsTrader.com offers just such a service.
•RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.
•NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
•MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS ARE NOT ALLOWED: Signing up multiple accounts (or alts) is a tactic employed by spammers and trolls and not legitimate members. Doing so will result in the banning of all accounts involved.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
ok thank for being dumb and not helpful at all maybe well meet one day and talk about you being stupid instead of helpful **** *** have a good day

Why the insult?

The owners of the forum have asked that we don't talk about OC of long guns as they are more controversial. Perhaps a larger showing of respect would be a better approach.

jgross85

Why the insult?

The owners of the forum have asked that we don't talk about OC of long guns as they are more controversial. Perhaps a larger showing of respect would be a better approach.

well until i got your post those rules where not anywhere i could see and i just want help not some guy telling me im dumb cause i had a question i thought we help educate here

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
well until i got your post those rules where not anywhere i could see and i just want help not some guy telling me im dumb cause i had a question i thought we help educate here

Really where in the above quote did I call you a name? Where in the nearly 2000 posts have I called anyone a name?

I see you joined some time ago, but probably haven't done much reading on the board. I suggest you read for a week or so, there is a wealth of information. Use the search feature and seek to understand before you can be understood.

joejoejoe

Yeah gogo... what's the deal? He had a legitimate question. As far as I can see, there is no rule against the open carry of an AR-15. You are borderline pushing the

"(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

From RCW 9.41.270

Also 9.41.190 says machine guns are illegal and will be seized. Since an AR-15 is a semi-auto but looks like a machine gun and can be converted to a machine gun, I doubt you could walk past an LEO without being harassed.

It was all over the news when a man brought an AR-15 to an Obama protest. He was not harassed by the cops, though he was highly watched. He was on private property, and the church had given the OK for him to carry it on their grounds. Personally, I would not carry it unless it was unloaded and I was transporting it. We just are not at the stage in time where people are accepting of riffles, or even handguns in some situations, so I wouldn't bother carrying it unless you want a HUGE EYE watching your every move. You are just as safe with a pistol.

"This board is about the open carry of handguns. About normalizing the open carry of handguns. NOT about OCing of long guns. I suggest you take this question elsewhere." -gogodawgs

From my understanding, this site is about the education of our second amendment rights so that we are fully equipped to exercise them. Yeah the site says it's about the open carry of a handgun for everyday American life, but the ideology is about the 2nd amendment. Give the guy a break.

Joe~

Last edited:

jgross85

Really where in the above quote did I call you a name? Where in the nearly 2000 posts have I called anyone a name?

I see you joined some time ago, but probably haven't done much reading on the board. I suggest you read for a week or so, there is a wealth of information. Use the search feature and seek to understand before you can be understood.

i read this form almost every day there is alot info here, Just not coming from you and those rules are not on anything but your post so until admin tell me ill keep asking about my rifle ok answer my question or dont post thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jgross85

Yeah gogo... what's the deal? He had a legitimate question. As far as I can see, there is no rule against the open carry of an AR-15. You are borderline pushing the

"(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

From RCW 9.41.270

Also 9.41.190 says machine guns are illegal and will be seized. Since an AR-15 is a semi-auto but looks like a machine gun and can be converted to a machine gun, I doubt you could walk past an LEO without being harassed.

It was all over the news when a man brought an AR-15 to an Obama protest. He was not harassed by the cops, though he was highly watched. He was on private property, and the church had given the OK for him to carry it on their grounds. Personally, I would not carry it unless it was unloaded and I was transporting it. We just are not at the stage in time where people are accepting of riffles, or even handguns in some situations, so I wouldn't bother carrying it unless you want a HUGE EYE watching your every move. You are just as safe with a pistol.

"This board is about the open carry of handguns. About normalizing the open carry of handguns. NOT about OCing of long guns. I suggest you take this question elsewhere." -gogodawgs

From my understanding, this site is about the education of our second amendment rights so that we are fully equipped to exercise them. Yeah the site says it's about the open carry of a handgun for everyday American life, but the ideology is about the 2nd amendment. Give the guy a break.

Joe~

Thank you Joe

Aryk45XD

No need for attitude or insult

Seems somebody has a small pistol complex. The rules say this is not the place to discuss such matters. Please respec that. On another note, you can OC whatever you like, but a rifle is hard to carry, has very high muzzle velocity, no trigger control, etc. I get nervous in very large crowds while OCing my pistol because my situational awareness... Awww, forget it.
let this post die.

jgross85

Seems somebody has a small pistol complex. The rules say this is not the place to discuss such matters. Please respec that. On another note, you can OC whatever you like, but a rifle is hard to carry, has very high muzzle velocity, no trigger control, etc. I get nervous in very large crowds while OCing my pistol because my situational awareness... Awww, forget it.
let this post die.

Thank you i didnt realize people i thought loved there gun rights where so closed minded

aktion

jgross85, you really blew the responses out of proportion. Nobody called you dumb, and you diminish your very legitimate original post by saying so.

I've asked similar questions concerning open carry of long guns, with identical results. It appears gogodawgs answer was carefully phrased to avoid any direct insult to anyone, however he has appointed himself something of a de facto moderator for the Washington forum. As you can see, you didn't get very far before he showed you the door with the 'long gun' line of questioning.

gogodawgs, if you are so adamant about reminding others of forum rules, then why don't you get this snappy with off topic posts as well? You cited the rule yourself, ''Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such as promoting the carry of long guns.''

The forum would be more clear calling itself 'Handgun Open Carry.org' or some such title, if they don't even want simple discussion of long gun open carry.

Lastly, Aryk45XD....

''No need for attitude or insult .Seems somebody has a small pistol complex......''

Push me, shove you? Or did I miss the intended sarcasm?

aktion

let this post die.

Can't handle carrying a loaded rifle in public? Don't do it. You're using the same logic as the antis; 'I get nervous around guns, so open carry should be banned.'

swatspyder

To the OP, open carry your rifle like the guy in this video and be ready for harassment from local LEO.
Oh, and we'll be watching the news to hear about you walking around the city with a rifle on your back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63GiXzpfGhA

To everyone that is taking this thread way off topic and getting into a ******* match about openly carrying a rifle, get back on topic.
That is all...

Status
Not open for further replies.