• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Understanding MCL 28.428

stainless1911

Banned
Specifically section 1.

28.428 Revocation of licenses; grounds; hearing; suspension; order; notice.Sec. 8.
(1) The concealed weapon licensing board that issued a license to an individual to carry a concealed pistol may revoke that license if the board determines that the individual committed any violation of this act other than a violation of section 5f(4). If the board determines that the individual has been found responsible for 3 or more state civil infraction violations of this act during the license period, the board shall conduct a hearing and may suspend the individual's license for not more than 1 year.

Q 1. Is there a difference between a civil infraction, and a state civil infraction?
Q 2.Does this mean that if you get 3 tickets within the 5 year CPL license period, that you might get your CPL suspended?

Q 3. Does a regular speeding ticket fall under this law?

The reason I asked question 1, is that on the back of my ticket, (5 over), it says civil infraction, not state civil infraction, and as you all know, one word can make a big difference.

The ticket was given by OCSD for 5 over on I-75 and I have to pay it at 52-3 Rochester hills. The ticket says that it happened in Orion Twp, and that I was in violation of a local ordinance.

RenegadeMarine

28.428 Revocation of licenses; grounds; hearing; suspension; order; notice.Sec. 8.
(1) The concealed weapon licensing board that issued a license to an individual to carry a concealed pistol may revoke that license if the board determines that the individual committed any violation of this act other than a violation of section 5f(4). If the board determines that the individual has been found responsible for 3 or more state civil infraction violations of this act during the license period, the board shall conduct a hearing and may suspend the individual's license for not more than 1 year.

You are correct one word(or three) can make a big difference.

It looks as though they must be violations of Act 372 of 1927.

Taurus850CIA

You are correct one word(or three) can make a big difference.

It looks as though they must be violations of Act 372 of 1927.

Beat me to it.

stainless1911

Banned
Thanks guys, that's why I asked.

I was a little worried. Last year I got popped for driving my moms camaro, er, speeding. Same thing...:p And this year, I was speeding again, I was on my way to pick up my CPL, so I was in a hurry.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The ticket was given by OCSD for 5 over on I-75 and I have to pay it at 52-3 Rochester hills. The ticket says that it happened in Orion Twp, and that I was in violation of a local ordinance.
Five over? Sheesh! Remind me to NEVER drive through that area. I go 5 over all in the time in Ingham, Jackson and Livingston counties, and I've never been touched by any LEO for that.

stainless1911

Banned
Its not so bad. Truth is, I was very likely in the mid to upper XXX's, and got the speed down to 83 when he tagged me. My little car is a bright red POS, with auxiliary headlights under the front bumper, and the windsheild was smashed out. The hood flew up and smacked it last week. The exhaust was loud too. The car sticks out like a sore thumb. This cop was great about it. I pulled over right away and I always put the keys on the roof when stopped. when he asked why, I just told him that I do that out of good faith to show I wont try to take off. After I told him I was on the way to go get my CPL, and I was in a hurry, he told me that since he figured I was a good guy, so instead of writing me up for multiple equipment violations, and that he could see I was broke, he wrote me up for 5 over. To repay that favor, I will be taking it easy for quite a while.

Last edited:

Taurus850CIA

No, dude. Maybe you ought to slow down, cuz it's the right thing to do, not as a favor to a cop. Maybe, just maybe, you should reconsider your decision making process. I see a lot of poor judgment in your history. You've come leaps and bounds in your understanding of the law, but you really need to step back and evaluate your decisions.

stainless1911

Banned
If I were in his position, I would have cut the guy a break too, CPL or not. He did the right thing. And wound up getting what he wanted anyhow. Like I said, I'll be taking it easy for a while. Unlike the last time when the cop wouldnt cut me a break for what was an honest mistake. I thought I was in a 35 when I was in a 25, but he threw the book at me. Now I will never spend a dime in that town again. They got all they will ever get from me. This guy was a real @$$ in court to everyone that day. There is no excuse for such an attitude in uniform. One other driver also swore to never visit the town again. It is my understanding that Clarkston will soon be losing their police department, and it is years of this BS that caused it. People don't want to spend their tax dollars this way, let OCSD cover it. They are more than capable, and don't typically act like this clown.

sprinklerguy28

what?

I suspect this has something to do with comments on another thread a couple days ago.

Or it could be you admitted to driving recklessly at a high rate of speed in a vehicle with a smashed out windshield described by you as a "POS". You were putting others at risk. You then repeatedly try to claim you are a responsible law abiding citizen that got misrepresented by your attorney and screwed over by the court. To keep posting in the manner in which you have only serves to lessen your credibility if you have any left. Think before you type.

Taurus850CIA

If I were in his position, I would have cut the guy a break too, CPL or not. He did the right thing. And wound up getting what he wanted anyhow. Like I said, I'll be taking it easy for a while. Unlike the last time when the cop wouldnt cut me a break for what was an honest mistake. I thought I was in a 35 when I was in a 25, but he threw the book at me. Now I will never spend a dime in that town again. They got all they will ever get from me. This guy was a real @$$ in court to everyone that day. There is no excuse for such an attitude in uniform. One other driver also swore to never visit the town again. It is my understanding that Clarkston will soon be losing their police department, and it is years of this BS that caused it. People don't want to spend their tax dollars this way, let OCSD cover it. They are more than capable, and don't typically act like this clown.

Interesting. I've spent a very large portion of my life in Clarkston, and have never been bothered by Clarkston police.

stainless1911

Banned
Sure, someone like me could lose their license for being broke, driving the same way the guy next to me, but the guy in the Mercedes can just pay off the courts and drive on. Sounds fair.

This cop should be applauded for knowing the difference, and keeping people from me out of Granholms double jeopardy law.

Taurus850CIA

Sure, someone like me could lose their license for being broke, driving the same way the guy next to me, but the guy in the Mercedes can just pay off the courts and drive on. Sounds fair.

This cop should be applauded for knowing the difference, and keeping people from me out of Granholms double jeopardy law.

Know why that guy has a Mercedes? He made some damn good decisions.