• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clackamas Town center

Dreamer

The Clackamas Town Center is owned by "General Growth Properties", a Chicago-based property management company, and one of the largest mall-owning consortiums on the planet.

I believe that GGP has a corporate policy prohibiting ALL weapons on their properties, but I do not know about this specific location. Their website has no "code of conduct" that I can find, so someone local is going to have to let us know if the Clackamas Town Center is in fact "posted".

Obviously it CAN'T have been posted, because everyone knows that if it WAS posted, this event would be impossible because criminals and crazy people ALWAYS follow the law and obey the policies of private property owners...

blue.eyed.amber

CTC shooting

The Clackamas Town Center is owned by "General Growth Properties", a Chicago-based property management company, and one of the largest mall-owning consortiums on the planet.

I believe that GGP has a corporate policy prohibiting ALL weapons on their properties, but I do not know about this specific location. Their website has no "code of conduct" that I can find, so someone local is going to have to let us know if the Clackamas Town Center is in fact "posted".

Obviously it CAN'T have been posted, because everyone knows that if it WAS posted, this event would be impossible because criminals and crazy people ALWAYS follow the law and obey the policies of private property owners...

I am curious of the policy as well.

Dave Workman

All due respect, what you "believe" may or may not be the case. It is important to verify that, one way or the other.

Anybody here ever been to the Clackamas Mall? Worked there?

Lord Sega

I has been a while since I have been to Clackamas TC, but they are posted. It's inside the main entrances to the mall, listed with all the don'ts of the mall (ie no skateboarding, etc). I don't think there are signs at store entrances, just the mall. I don't remember the exact wording.

Better link

A gunman shot and killed two people and critically injured a third person at Clackamas Town Center mall on Tuesday afternoon. The shooter then turned the gun and killed himself,

Oregonian sports columnist John Canzano, was pulling up to the mall when the shooting happened. He said people reported hearing around 60 shots from the food court.

Gay_Cynic

Research Request

I has been a while since I have been to Clackamas TC, but they are posted. It's inside the main entrances to the mall, listed with all the don'ts of the mall (ie no skateboarding, etc). I don't think there are signs at store entrances, just the mall. I don't remember the exact wording.

Better link

I'm preparing to write a blog entry and would be very grateful if anyone could get me a photo of the "do's and dont's" actually posted at Clackamas Town Center. Shoot me an email here.

Thanks,

GC

AtackDuck

Confirmed on John Lott's site

I'm preparing to write a blog entry and would be very grateful if anyone could get me a photo of the "do's and dont's" actually posted at Clackamas Town Center. Shoot me an email here.

Thanks,

GC

John Lott had two reliable people confirm that the mall is a "GFZ, safe criminal working environment", although one says "screw 'em" and carries anyway...

carracer

The shooting in Portland was, in my mind, a worst case scenario for carriers. A shooter with a rifle and us with a handgun. I think unless you were very close, inside 25 yards at the max, the best you could do is draw fire away from others towards yourself. Even at 25 yards I'm not sure I would be successful stopping the threat of a determined shooter with my LC9. I'm confidant that with my 1911 I would have a much better chance even to as far as 40 yards or so. I may have to review my carry options now. Be safe!

Jeff. State

Banned
John Lott had two reliable people confirm that the mall is a "GFZ, safe criminal working environment", although one says "screw 'em" and carries anyway...

Screw 'em is right. Costco, the Mall, etc. I CC. There is NO way I'm going to get caught without, now if I could just get around this where I actually work.:banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
All due respect, what you "believe" may or may not be the case. It is important to verify that, one way or the other.

Anybody here ever been to the Clackamas Mall? Worked there?

Good one, Dave. (sarcasm)

Dreamer's phrasing is just another way of saying, "I think so, but I can't clearly recall." And, then he himself went on to say it needs to be verified. Moreover, he tried to verify it himself and said so right in the post you quoted.

Brilliant invalidation, Dave. Brilliant.

carracer

Latest is NO body armor and AR stolen from a friend earlier that day. No definite count on number of rounds fired has been released yet. Have heard as low as 12 and as many as 60.

MackTheKnife

It was stolen

Apparently it was an AR-15 and it was stolen. Article does not illustrate whether the shooter stole it or acquired the rifle later. Still no word on whether the shooter was actually wearing body armor or just a tactical style vest.
http://news.yahoo.com/police-ore-mall-shooter-used-stolen-rifle-181931596.html

The news report I read said that the shooter had stolen the weapon from his friend. It was also reported that the weapon jammed but he was able to fix it and continue shooting. At least he killed himself- no need for a trial.

We-the-People

This is the same company that owns the mall here in Medford. I don't spend my money there since the day they met me at the door and gave me the "can't come in" spiel.

As for engaging an active shooter with a rifle........if the shooter engages you you have no choice. If he hasn't, I would simply retreat. I would also recommend carrying a more capable firearm. The FN 5.7 pistol is capable of engaging at 100 yards with only a 3-5 inch drop. If you are HALF that distance in a mall shooting situation you should have no problem finding cover and an escape route..

Remember.....that OC or CC firearm you pack is to protect YOU and YOURS. Yes you are allowed to go to the aid of another person BUT......That other person made their choice not to carry. For all you know it's Paul Helmke, Ginny Burdick, or one of their ilk. I suggest egressing unless you are engaged by the criminal.

Lord Sega

I am not going to second guess someone who was there, I wasn't.
He made the right call for him, at the time, for where he was, based on the situation.

"As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.

Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.

"I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him," said Meli. "I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself."

I like to believe that the gunman saw this CHL carrier and that is why the next shot took himself out.