• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pine arts playground

thedevilrobyjohn

I was told that pine arts camp recreational area designated Richmond city parks, the playground and basketball area was school property. It lies very close to henrico border on Azalea but is in the city, not the actual pine arts center but the recreational area beside it....is it off limits for firearms? I tried to look it up on the web but had no success. Asking a city police officer would get various answers and possible legal trouble with the wrong info. I went to a yard sale very near there and my daughter wanted to walk over to the playground..someone said to not go over open carrying because it was considered school property, we just went to bryan park but knowing would be nice.

Last edited:

Esanders2008

I was told that pine arts camp recreational area designated Richmond city parks, the playground and basketball area was school property. It lies very close to henrico border on Azalea but is in the city, not the actual pine arts center but the recreational area beside it....is it off limits for firearms? I tried to look it up on the web but had no success. Asking a city police officer would get various answers and possible legal trouble with the wrong info. I went to a yard sale very near there and my daughter wanted to walk over to the playground..someone said to not go over open carrying because it was considered school property, we just went to bryan park but knowing would be nice.

You are right to avoid asking a police officer. Your best bet would be to go to city hall and find out the boundaries of both the park and the school.

Just a reminder, although not really enforced, one must be cautious about the federal GFSZ legislation. That park is DEFINITELY within 1000'.

YMMV

ETA: I just looked at the satellite images for the area, and it is my opinion that they are separate. I would still be careful though.

Last edited:

thedevilrobyjohn

You are right to avoid asking a police officer. Your best bet would be to go to city hall and find out the boundaries of both the park and the school.

Just a reminder, although not really enforced, one must be cautious about the federal GFSZ legislation. That park is DEFINITELY within 1000'.

YMMV

ETA: I just looked at the satellite images for the area, and it is my opinion that they are separate. I would still be careful though.

good info, my housei is within 1 foot of a school, wonder how that works...guess I just stay on my side of fence

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

YMMV

I think he has a CHP which would exempt him from the GFZ.
His home is exempted anyway.

I don't know if the park is school property or not but I guarantee one out of every four people there are carrying illegally. (If it's the one I'm thinking of...almost Azalea and Chamberlyn)

Last edited:

Esanders2008

I don't know if the park is school property or not but I guarantee one out of every four people there are carrying illegally. (If it's the one I'm thinking of...almost Azalea and Chamberlyn)

Good point on the CHP, I had almost forgotten about that.

thedevilrobyjohn

yes sir, thats the one. saw a man run from there and then fall dead on chamberlayne from gunshot wounds when I lived oon pony farm. A friend of mine owned that little shop in the parking lot until it was robbed so many times, think its a carpet or mttress place now....the hotdog shop is good, odd location

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
According to the City Parks Dept the playground and basketball courts are part of the park.

http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/CommunityCenterPineCamp.aspx

Amenities include a game room, computer lab, a multi-purpose room and restrooms. Located outside the community center are three basketball courts, a large children's playground, senior Fitness trail, one softball field and a soccer field.

I'd contact the Parks Dept and ask for a survey map of the property just to make sure of the boundary between the school and the park.

stay safe.

TFred

According to the City Parks Dept the playground and basketball courts are part of the park.

http://www.richmondgov.com/parks/CommunityCenterPineCamp.aspx

I'd contact the Parks Dept and ask for a survey map of the property just to make sure of the boundary between the school and the park.

stay safe.
While perhaps a good idea, I predict any park employee is going to pretty much laugh at such a request. Does Richmond have a GIS service on line? Generally, web-based maps on public GIS sites are not "official" legal documents, but in practical terms, especially for publicly owned property, I don't think you're going to have much luck getting anything better or more accurate, unless you go do a title search at the courthouse.

TFred

Glockster

This is one really good example I think of demonstrating the need to get something done about the whole 1000 foot thing. We have the same situation here in VA BH -- parks that are placed either on school grounds or tangent to that. One park that I'm very familiar with it is all but impossible to determine when you are on actual school grounds. Add to that there is more than one school there. Oh, and also -- the only parking that you can use is for both school and park and so according to what I've been told it is school grounds....or not...or is...or isn't. There is a ball field that the school claims is school property, and yet conflicting maps (on record with the city itself) show it to on one map to be school property and another it is not. And the elephant in the room here is that given how often encounters with a LEO involve problems (e.g., the LEO believing that it is illegal for one thing that isn't) I don't believe you're going to have the time to get the officer to look over plot lines after an urgent MWAG on school grounds.

The law is a bad one. I think that we here understand and agree with that. I'm just wondering if it could be that these mixed use parks that are being put in place (and I can't believe that VA BH and the OP's park are unique -- I have to believe that with limited land availability and budget constraints that they are popping up in many states) could become a basis for the law not working. It's one thing, I think, to have to make a claim that simply walking past a school puts you at potential risk....and another to deny a citizen the lawful right to use a city park simply because the citizen is exercising a constitutional right.

TFred

This is one really good example I think of demonstrating the need to get something done about the whole 1000 foot thing. We have the same situation here in VA BH -- parks that are placed either on school grounds or tangent to that. One park that I'm very familiar with it is all but impossible to determine when you are on actual school grounds. Add to that there is more than one school there. Oh, and also -- the only parking that you can use is for both school and park and so according to what I've been told it is school grounds....or not...or is...or isn't. There is a ball field that the school claims is school property, and yet conflicting maps (on record with the city itself) show it to on one map to be school property and another it is not. And the elephant in the room here is that given how often encounters with a LEO involve problems (e.g., the LEO believing that it is illegal for one thing that isn't) I don't believe you're going to have the time to get the officer to look over plot lines after an urgent MWAG on school grounds.

The law is a bad one. I think that we here understand and agree with that. I'm just wondering if it could be that these mixed use parks that are being put in place (and I can't believe that VA BH and the OP's park are unique -- I have to believe that with limited land availability and budget constraints that they are popping up in many states) could become a basis for the law not working. It's one thing, I think, to have to make a claim that simply walking past a school puts you at potential risk....and another to deny a citizen the lawful right to use a city park simply because the citizen is exercising a constitutional right.
In practical terms, I don't know of anyone who is actively working to repeal the GFSZA. And as long as there is a D in the office of the president, there's no point, because it would surely be vetoed, and there would be nowhere near enough votes in the Senate to override a veto.

At this point, I suspect we are much more likely to see it overturned with some "perfect scenario" case making it to the SCOTUS. I have no idea if any of those are percolating their way up the chain right now.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
In practical terms, I don't know of anyone who is actively working to repeal the GFSZA. And as long as there is a D in the office of the president, there's no point, because it would surely be vetoed, and there would be nowhere near enough votes in the Senate to override a veto.

At this point, I suspect we are much more likely to see it overturned with some "perfect scenario" case making it to the SCOTUS. I have no idea if any of those are percolating their way up the chain right now.

TFred

I don't think you'll see either TFred. They aren't going to charge anyone because they know it won't stand up, so it isn't going to get overturned and Congress isn't going to change it because "We're on High Alert".

It's the Boogy Man. It has a Chilling effect, it scares people, so it's doing what they want.

What we need to do is work on the state law(s).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't think you'll see either TFred. They aren't going to charge anyone because they know it won't stand up, so it isn't going to get overturned and Congress isn't going to change it because "We're on High Alert".

It's the Boogy Man. It has a Chilling effect, it scares people, so it's doing what they want.

What we need to do is work on the state law(s).
We also have the 4th Circuit Court recent decision on OC and RAS to our benefit.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Federal-Court-decision-on-RAS-and-Open-carry

Last edited:

TFred

There seem to be a lot of good pieces in place for such an eventual challenge. Wiki has started tracking convictions that have been upheld since the revised version, but I have not read through any of them to learn the circumstances. As PN implies, any prosecution under this law will be undertaken only in cases where it's just a small part of the overall crimes involved to ensure we don't get a clean "otherwise legal possession" case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990#Challenges

TFred

ak56

Campaign Veteran
There seem to be a lot of good pieces in place for such an eventual challenge. Wiki has started tracking convictions that have been upheld since the revised version, but I have not read through any of them to learn the circumstances. As PN implies, any prosecution under this law will be undertaken only in cases where it's just a small part of the overall crimes involved to ensure we don't get a clean "otherwise legal possession" case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990#Challenges

TFred

Very brief analysis of the nine cases on the wikipedia site:

1.Shot at car
2. Felon in Possession
3. Robbery
4. Stopped on road, rifle aimed at synogogue - chase, multiple stashes of firearms/explosives.
5. Possession of Cocaine with intent to distribute.
6. Machine Gun
7. Discharge of firearms in school zone, posession of firearms during crime of violence, use of firearm during crime of violence (found not guilty of attempted 1st degree murder).
8. Discharged shotgun in vehicle in school parking lot.
9. Conspiring to possess with intent to distribute cocaine, crack and heroin within 1000ft of school

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Very brief analysis of the nine cases on the wikipedia site:

But surely there must be thousands of cases of people charged and convicted for driving through a school zone with a gun. There just have to be. That's one of the big reasons for getting a CHP.:(