• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New "outlet" mall in Asheville a no go...

drsysadmin

One of Mine wanted to go to the new outlet mall on 191 that just opened up. She CC's and I OC, so we are both cognizant of postings. At the main "back" entrance to the area is a rather large "ruleboard" which does stipulate firearms are not allowed.

Personally, its not my kind of place anyway, but she went back recently and noticed that the postings are not everywhere. For example, Dillards opens to the outside and to the "inner" exterior corridors - and neither Dillards nor the transitions are posted in any way. When she took her CC class, the instructor talked about how one entrance at the main Asheville mall isn't posted, so one could enter and leave via that point and carry while being in compliance with the law. If so, the same would apply for a person carrying directly into Dillards, then into the corridors.

Not sure I buy that whole thing though. Perhaps its just me - but if businesses are ok with trying to take my right to defend myself and my family away (whether they do so in full compliance with "law" or not) - I don't think they need my business. However, can someone clarify if that "technicality" is true?

solus

as has been discussed previously, normally those stores that you can access w/o entering the mall have their own policies which in some instances significantly differ from the mall management policies. a great deal of contention has been discussed out here whether or not the policy is in effect or at which point does the mall policies begin, etc.

for the most part, entering and CC'g through the outside store to the mall interior is thought to be no harm no foul perception as who knows you are armed cuz you are concealed. as for OC'g, kinda obvious you have a firearm and you will have mall security swooping down on you like buzzards on a carcass.

worst they can charge you with is trespass if you refuse to leave.

one side note...be careful as the malls in NC are/have created their own police force, with arrest powers, and are not 'mall ninga' or rent-a-cops w/o statutory peace officer powers. just a word to the wise.

i am like you, not my cup of tea and personally have not been in a 'mall' for several years as i prefer to spend my money where i, and my firearm, are welcome.

ipse

Last edited:

dmatting

...worst they can charge you with is trespass if you refuse to leave...

While this is certainly true for Open Carry, it is not the case with Concealed Carry. Signs for concealed carry have the weight of law behind them - I forget which class it is, but it is a misdemeanor. Of course, the law also states that the sign must be conspicuous, as well. Most malls are notorious for the inconspicuousness of their signage. But then again, concealed is concealed, right?

papa bear

While this is certainly true for Open Carry, it is not the case with Concealed Carry. Signs for concealed carry have the weight of law behind them - I forget which class it is, but it is a misdemeanor. Of course, the law also states that the sign must be conspicuous, as well. Most malls are notorious for the inconspicuousness of their signage. But then again, concealed is concealed, right?

Just to let you know. Posting anti gun sign do not carry any weight of law. You will not be charged with any law. The only thing you can be charged with is trespass, if you refuse to leave. Granted you could loose your CCP, BUT that is no big whoop

dmatting

Just to let you know. Posting anti gun sign do not carry any weight of law. You will not be charged with any law. The only thing you can be charged with is trespass, if you refuse to leave. Granted you could loose your CCP, BUT that is no big whoop

I suggest you bone up on NC gun laws before giving any advice. Your statement is completely wrong.

I'll let you look up the law, but I'll make it a little easier by giving the chapter and section.

NCGS 14.415-21(a1) states that carrying a concealed handgun on private property that has been conspicuously posted is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

In fact, I'll make it even easier. Here's the link to Chapter 14:

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14

papa bear

Just reread your post. I could be mistaken, since it is hiding your gun. Could you give the law you are talking about?
I do think it is no problem if you loose you CCP

papa bear

I suggest you bone up on NC gun laws before giving any advice. Your statement is completely wrong.

I'll let you look up the law, but I'll make it a little easier by giving the chapter and section.

NCGS 14.415-21(a1) states that carrying a concealed handgun on private property that has been conspicuously posted is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

In fact, I'll make it even easier. Here's the link to Chapter 14:

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14

Note that I corrected myself as you did me. I'll admit the hiding your firearm laws are confusing as well as stupid. Since I don't hide my fire arm like bad guys do. I don't keep up with the hiding laws. What is the punish ment for breaking this law? If you do break this law how would someone know?

Edit another thought. Where would I look up a law if I didn't even know it existed. That is why if you make a claim, you need to provide the cite

Last edited:

XD40sc

Since you live in NC, you should brush up on the laws in NC. Gun buster signs do carry the weight of law in NC.

solus

Since you live in NC, you should brush up on the laws in NC. Gun buster signs do carry the weight of law in NC.

aren't ya glad xd, dmatting posted the cite bout 3 posts before yours so you didn't have to?

ipse