• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunshots Scare Away Car Thieves

JoeSparky

Centurion
So, according to the linked article the carjacking victim did have a concealed carry permit BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS WEAPON WITH HIM... so upon retrieval of the weapon he fires a couple rounds into the ground and the carjackers get scared and abandon his car down the block?

Geez, dude, CARRY THE BLASTED WEAPON!

Also, you are lucky it was TEXAS! In many other locales you'd be facing charges... the least of which would be discharge of a weapon in city limits!

dedeye

So, according to the linked article the carjacking victim did have a concealed carry permit BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS WEAPON WITH HIM... so upon retrieval of the weapon he fires a couple rounds into the ground and the carjackers get scared and abandon his car down the block?

Also, you are lucky it was TEXAS! In many other locales you'd be facing charges... the least of which would be discharge of a weapon in city limits!

I dont know who the guy is, but i was kinda wondering about that too.

MKEgal

I can see shooting at them as they first approached - 6 on 1, and they had a knife - but he got to safety (his apartment) and then went back to defend his property with deadly force?!?!
Are the laws in TX really that different as to allow this, and he's not facing charges for anything?
Wow. I sound like an anti. Wonder what they'll do with this story.

ETA: there's a followup story saying that the guy got evicted for having a gun on the premesis. Something needs to be done about that.
http://www.kristv.com/news/armed-man-scares-away-car-theives-and-gets-evicted/

He was in the car, a group of men (apparently pedestrians) blocked him, he asked them to move, they didn't, they pulled a knife, he got out of the car...

Apparently he left the car running, with an adult passenger (who wasn't smart enough to lock the doors after he got out!), and he thought they'd kidnapped her. So when he came back with the gun he fired into the ground.

Heck, if it was a group of pedestrians, just run 'em over. If they have any sense of self-preservation they'll try to get out of the way.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

Texas does have a laws against discharging weapons in the city limits. Im pretty sure those laws are ordinances by municipalities though. The right to self defense trumps any ordinance in my book though.
The carry permit doesnt mean squat either.
In Texas you can conceal Carry form you home to your vehicle without a CC permit. You can also CC inside of your vehicle without a permit as well.
Some reason Legislature thinks you need a permit and a CHL class to carry in the walmart parking lot. I guess crime is different depending on where you are.

Not too long ago I fired shots at some dirtbag while they were breaking into my neighbors shop. It was at night and I didnt know if I could shoot them on my neighbors property or not. So I just shot the block building right next to where the idots were standing. When the cops showed up, we went looking for them and actually found one of the idiots walking down the street. The other one was easy to find because they took off running as I started shooting their way, leaving their vehicle there.
Cops didnt charge me with discharging a firearm and im pretty sure they knew I would have been pissed if they did.
For the most part we have pretty good LE guys around here. The only problem I have is from the newbies, because some of them never learned what right are in libtard school.

rodbender

It happened just after 5:30 p.m. at the Navarro Place Apartments on 19th street. 25-year-old Tyrone Joseph Porter told police a group of 5 to 6 Hispanic men blocked the street as he was trying to leave his residence.

The time of day tells me he was probably coming home from work. His employer probably resticts guns on company property. This is why we need parking lot laws in Texas.