• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slide stop not engaging on last round.

COMMANDER1911

I just got a Taurus PT1911 and I am very pleased with it. it hits where I aim and shoots very well. I use Wilson magazines with plastic followers, and with two out of three of them the gun doesn't go to slide lock after the last round. Using deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that if I replace the followers in the two wilsons the problem will be fixed. Just want to get all of your opinions as well before I spend any money.

Superlite27

COMMANDER1911

Thanks for the info. I just stumbled across Tripp upgrade kits for 8.95 USD a pop, and I must say their hybrid followers look very very nice

bom1911

I can't tell you why you won't slide lock, but I recently started having the same problem with some of my Colt hybrid magazines. I replaced the springs in the magazines with Wolff springs, and I was locking up after the last round again.

FYI, here is a good source of info on 1911 magazines.

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

COMMANDER1911

I actually bought Tripp mag upgrade kits, and it they still didnt work....Bought a new wilson slide stop, and problem fixed. the slide stop was worn just a little where the follower engages.

bb72488

Same Slide Lock Issue

I recently purchased a factory new Colt 1911 01970RG. I live in an area where there are very few places I can go to shoot. Without the ability to do that, I have been getting a feel for how the gun operates, and I notice that the problem that the OP is having is very similar to my own. When I eject the last round (via racking the slide manually) from the firearm, neither of the factory mags appear to have enough strength to engage the slide lock. Finding this thread, I chose to post and inquire as to if this has to do with the mag or slide lock, or if it's because the weapon isn't being fired, that I'm just racking the slide. My other weapon, a Bersa Thunder 380, Doesn't behave this way. When I eject the last round from the chamber of the weapon, the slide lock works without error. Any advice?

1245A Defender

well,,,

I recently purchased a factory new Colt 1911 01970RG. I live in an area where there are very few places I can go to shoot. Without the ability to do that, I have been getting a feel for how the gun operates, and I notice that the problem that the OP is having is very similar to my own. When I eject the last round (via racking the slide manually) from the firearm, neither of the factory mags appear to have enough strength to engage the slide lock. Finding this thread, I chose to post and inquire as to if this has to do with the mag or slide lock, or if it's because the weapon isn't being fired, that I'm just racking the slide. My other weapon, a Bersa Thunder 380, Doesn't behave this way. When I eject the last round from the chamber of the weapon, the slide lock works without error. Any advice?

when an empty mag is latched in, you should be able to see the hold open latch push up against the bottom of the slide.
when you pull open the slide you should be able to see the follower pushing up on the hold open tab inside the action.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
when an empty mag is latched in, you should be able to see the hold open latch push up against the bottom of the slide.
when you pull open the slide you should be able to see the follower pushing up on the hold open tab inside the action.

This is what I was thinking. Is the follower engaging the little slide-stop tab on the inside of the frame?

Taurus uses lotsa MIM parts, and I can imagine an MIM slide-stop lever not quite being engaged by the follower.

This is not to say the other possible culprits mentioned are invalid. Dirty mags, out-of-spec follower, etc. can do it, too. Heck, just put that little mag release notch a little out of place when making a magazine, and I can imagine that, combined with a few other parts being on the borderline, the mag might sit just a little too low for the follower to fully engage the slide stop's inside tab and push it up.

But, I would examine that little tab on the inside of the slide-stop to see if there was anything suspicious about it. Before I spent money on other magazines. If there is something wrong with the slide-stop, a new magazine may not solve the problem.

Last edited:

oak1971

Thanks for the info. I just stumbled across Tripp upgrade kits for 8.95 USD a pop, and I must say their hybrid followers look very very nice

I use them in all my mags. Bad (worn or out of spec) followers are the most common cause the problem you describe.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I just got a Taurus PT1911 and I am very pleased with it. it hits where I aim and shoots very well. I use Wilson magazines with plastic followers, and with two out of three of them the gun doesn't go to slide lock after the last round. Using deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that if I replace the followers in the two wilsons the problem will be fixed. Just want to get all of your opinions as well before I spend any money.

I had the same exact problem with a brand new PT1911

Nothing is wrong with your gun or magazines. Ready for the fix? Oil it up. Oil it up so much at the range that it is squirting oil onto your shooting glasses when you shoot. You have a metal slide on a metal frame that's nice, tight, and new. Don't go buy a whole bunch of magzines and new springs or anything to fix this problem, just oil it up ike crazy as you break it in.

source: (I've owned 3 PT1911s.)

EDIT: just now realizing how old this thread is.
FWIW my last PT1911 was a complete piece of junk. i may trade it in.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I had this problem with my PT1911AR with the stock mags and the wilson combat. This was after 500rds of working just fine.

Take the mag apart. Stretch the spring. Put it back together. Problem solved. They all work flawlessly now...

Last edited: