• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying to Post Office

gutterfalcon

I am in Northwestern Pa. I live in a very small town, where we have to go to the Post office to get our mail from post office boxes. I have a concealed carry permit. Am I allowed to carry my handgun into the Post Office ? I thought there was something about Gov. buildings.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Code of Federal Regulations Title 39 Part 232 Section 232.1 (l)

Conduct on Postal Property

39 CFR 232.1 (l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov

ManInBlack

I am in Northwestern Pa. I live in a very small town, where we have to go to the Post office to get our mail from post office boxes. I have a concealed carry permit. Am I allowed to carry my handgun into the Post Office ? I thought there was something about Gov. buildings.

Sigh...

The post office is federal property. Your concealed permit is issued by your state, and other states may or may not recognize it at their whim. The federal government does not recognize any lawful citizen carry at any post office.

Last edited:

Ironside

Conduct on Postal Property

39 CFR 232.1 (l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov

And be sure that you park on a public street. It is prohibited also in a parking lot on Postal property.

Ruby

It probably won't make any difference as far as carry goes, but the USPS is no longer run by the federal government; it is run by a private corporation and has been for several years. I would assume the same rules apply. Sorry, I don't have the cite.

ManInBlack

It probably won't make any difference as far as carry goes, but the USPS is no longer run by the federal government; it is run by a private corporation and has been for several years. I would assume the same rules apply. Sorry, I don't have the cite.

It is not a private corporation.

[h=1]39 USC § 201 - United States Postal Service[/h]There is established, as an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States, the United States Postal Service.

The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak) because it operates much like a business, but as noted above, it is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States", (39 U.S.C. § 201) as it is controlled by Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General. As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail. Indeed, in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation, and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.[SUP][39][/SUP]
The U.S. Supreme Court has also upheld the USPS's statutory monopoly on access to letter boxes against a First Amendment freedom of speech challenge; it thus remains illegal in the U.S. for anyone, other than the employees and agents of the USPS, to deliver mailpieces to letter boxes marked "U.S. Mail."[SUP][40][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service

DocWalker

Sigh...

The post office is federal property. Your concealed permit is issued by your state, and other states may or may not recognize it at their whim. The federal government does not recognize any lawful citizen carry at any post office.

It is almost funny if it wasn't so sad.....

The federal goverment won't let you practice your right (2A) that is written in the US Contitution which is the main document along with the Declaration of Indepedance that the federal goverment is based on.

Power Corrupts......and the US Goverment is full of it.

ManInBlack

It is almost funny if it wasn't so sad.....

The federal goverment won't let you practice your right (2A) that is written in the US Contitution which is the main document along with the Declaration of Indepedance that the federal goverment is based on.

Power Corrupts......and the US Goverment is full of it.

Yup...especially considering that the Constitution was originally intended to restrain ONLY the federal government, not the states.