• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harbor park

grylnsmn

I know....I'm half being the devil's advocate, half venting and half wishful thinking. Falls under the category of "there oughta be a law." :uhoh:

Hey, you'll get no argument from me on how it should be. I'm especially frustrated by this subject and spent a good bit of time looking into it last year (before my son was born at Fairfax Hospital). It's going to be frustrating again this year because we're expecting our second child in September (a daughter this time - I have 16 years to find the best shotgun for intimidating potential boyfriends).

What I find most irritating is that Inova Fairfax Hospital doesn't just post signs prohibiting carry on the entrances to the building, but also at the entrance to the parking garage. Technically, that means that I can't even secure my firearm in my car while I'm visiting someone in the hospital.

But, Inova isn't even consistent about prohibiting carry. Fairfax Hospital is thoroughly posted at every door (sometimes multiple times), as well as a few places inside. But, when I had to visit my Aunt at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital last year, there wasn't a sign to be seen anywhere. When I get a flu shot at a local Inova-run internal medicine practice, there were also no signs to be seen anywhere. (Admittedly, I CCed both places, because I already knew about Inova's policy at Fairfax Hospital.)

I can understand some of the reasons why they might want to prohibit carry in a hospital (even if I disagree with those reasons), but if those reasons apply at Fairfax, why don't they also apply at Mount Vernon? Or, if there isn't a problem at Mount Vernon, why would they need to prohibit them at Fairfax? The least they could do is actually be consistent.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Congratulations on the upcoming #2!
I have comments from experience:

1. My son was more trouble but because I was him early in life, I could usually deter him from any real trouble.

2. A daily workout with a grip exerciser is a must for greeting the daughters dates. A disassembled 1911 with cleaning equipment on the coffee table and a fully decked out Mossberg 500 propped in the corner, always insured her dates brought her back on time.

3. I was prepared to dribble some Ketchup on the doormat, but never found it necessary if I followed numbers 1&2.

4. After nearly 40 years I've realized, they may get married and move and produced offspring that call you Grandaddy....BUT THEY NEVER GROW UP!

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
congratulations on the upcoming #2!
I have comments from experience:

1. My son was more trouble but because i was him early in life, i could usually deter him from any real trouble.

2. A daily workout with a grip exerciser is a must for greeting the daughters dates. A disassembled 1911 with cleaning equipment on the coffee table and a fully decked out mossberg 500 propped in the corner, always insured her dates brought her back on time.

3. I was prepared to dribble some ketchup on the doormat, but never found it necessary if i followed numbers 1&2.

4. After nearly 40 years i've realized, they may get married and move and produced offspring that call you grandaddy....but they never grow up!

+1000 :d