• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

French Gov't thinks Richmond is dangerous: "Do not visit the city on foot."

HPmatt

If Richmond was listed as a dangerous city by the French, It is no longer.

This is the updated page on http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/ (Unfortunately the page is Only available in French and my Ability to translate French is a Little rusty)
Use Google Chrome as the browser - Google is the only company I know of that has ever found something from the UN that benefits mankind - they took the UN translations of a speech from English into about 100 languages, and from that it powers translation of foreign languages into english.

HPmatt

The French Revolution played no small part in the development of our own - indeed the French supported us in that effort. Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette, Marquis de La Fayette was a truly American hero.

Here is a link to the annual ceremony where the French and Americans change the flag over Lafayette's grave in Paris every 4th of July.
http://francerevisited.com/2009/07/lafayette-and-the-american-flag-the-fourth-of-july-ceremony/
I have not visited Paris on the 4th to observe, but plan to do so in the next few years.

If you visit Geo Washington's Mt Vernon in VA, while on the tour of the house, look at the wall on the left side of the staircase - you will see the key to the Bastille that Lafayette sent GW - Lafayette orchestrated the storming of the Bastille as part of the start of the French Revolution.

http://www.mountvernon.org/educational-resources/encyclopedia/bastille-key

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here is a link to the annual ceremony where the French and Americans change the flag over Lafayette's grave in Paris every 4th of July.
http://francerevisited.com/2009/07/lafayette-and-the-american-flag-the-fourth-of-july-ceremony/
I have not visited Paris on the 4th to observe, but plan to do so in the next few years.

If you visit Geo Washington's Mt Vernon in VA, while on the tour of the house, look at the wall on the left side of the staircase - you will see the key to the Bastille that Lafayette sent GW - Lafayette orchestrated the storming of the Bastille as part of the start of the French Revolution.

http://www.mountvernon.org/educational-resources/encyclopedia/bastille-key
Too few people really know much about this man of two countries who at 19 years of age changed the course of history. His life and exploits make fascinating reading.

Last edited:

F350

OK; ancient history

What about de Gaulle ordering President Eisenhower to remove all US troop from French soil after WWII; the Froggie had nothing to say when President Eisenhower asked if that included the ones buried at Normandy. Learning of this pissed me off for life; I have an uncle buried there, freeing them from the NAZIS.

I do appreciate French culture; French military surplus weapons are GREAT; never fired and only dropped once.

What is the most important test in French military weapon acceptance testing?? The drop test.

How many Frenchmen are required to defend Paris? No one knows as it has never been done.

Want to know how to take the wind out of the sails of an uppity Frog??? Ask "Sie sprechen Deutsch"? The answer will be some variation of "I'm French: I don't speak German". Then you say "Yes I know; and you're fricken welcome.... TWICE"!!!! I've done it; man does it piss them off!

davidmcbeth

Banned
OK; ancient history

What about de Gaulle ordering President Eisenhower to remove all US troop from French soil after WWII; the Froggie had nothing to say when President Eisenhower asked if that included the ones buried at Normandy. Learning of this pissed me off for life; I have an uncle buried there, freeing them from the NAZIS.

I do appreciate French culture; French military surplus weapons are GREAT; never fired and only dropped once.

What is the most important test in French military weapon acceptance testing?? The drop test.

How many Frenchmen are required to defend Paris? No one knows as it has never been done.

Want to know how to take the wind out of the sails of an uppity Frog??? Ask "Sie sprechen Deutsch"? The answer will be some variation of "I'm French: I don't speak German". Then you say "Yes I know; and you're fricken welcome.... TWICE"!!!! I've done it; man does it piss them off!

Many folks all over the world speak English. Why? So they can say "Please don't drop an A-bomb on me!".
Folks the the EU hate that one too. Given that we are the only country to have ever dropped the bomb on actual live targets it gives us more credibility in this area.

HPmatt

OK; ancient history

It is you are referring to Ancient history re: DeGaulle & Eisenhower. I would bet that 99% of Americans have no clue about the spat between those 2 dead guys.

If not for the French last week, Obama was (and is) ready to give the green light to the Persians to develop the A-bomb. Unless Israel stops them, they'll definitely plan to sneak some in to NYC and destroy that city.

I think the rural French are much more like normal Americans. The urban french and urban americans are much closer - urbanites sponging off fruits of the land - food stamps, welfare, urban transit, unions, tax evasion, etc.

For readers of 200 year history - you can see that Jefferson, who was aware of ancient history of governments that worked and didn't over 2000 years - felt that the growth of cities and the resultant liberalism, was the greatest threat to Liberty.

Lafayette was a little to idealistic about the motivations of man and was almost killed several times after he unleashed 'Liberte' on uneducated masses. He failed to realize that americans (who had the right to vote) were educated and were self-reliant, as opposed to the peasants of France.

I think with public education the US is slipping more toward the French model where you let the 'governing elite' tell the uneducated masses what is good for them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OK; ancient history

While de Gaulle is not loved by all and France's preparedness was pathetic at the beginning of WW II, there are places to see the very positive efforts/contributions that were made by many - never hurts to look beyond the surface.

"Throughout France the Free French [that is, the Resistance] had been of inestimable value in the campaign . . . Without their great assistance the liberation of France and the defeat of the enemy in Western Europe would have consumed a much longer time and meant greater losses to ourselves."
(Dwight D. Eisenhower, Crusade in Europe, page 296.)
http://www.awesomestories.com/flicks/inglourious-basterds/french-resistance

http://www.912freedomlibrary.org/cu...e Nazis, The - Don Lawson (1984) OEF 9.33.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=am...True stories of the French resistance&f=false

Last edited:

F350

Many folks all over the world speak English. Why? So they can say "Please don't drop an A-bomb on me!".
Folks the the EU hate that one too. Given that we are the only country to have ever dropped the bomb on actual live targets it gives us more credibility in this area.

Do you realize the purple hearts being awarded to our solders today were originally ordered for the invasion of Japan?? That is how many casualties the US anticipated.

The Japs attacked us; "if it saved even 1 life..." cry me a fripping river.

F350

GOOD!! More of the world should feel that way!

Do you realize the purple hearts being awarded to our solders today were originally ordered for the invasion of Japan?? That is how many casualties the US anticipated.

The Japs attacked us; "if it saved even 1 life..." cry me a fripping river.

CavTrooperCason

Well that would be easy...

Use Google Chrome as the browser - Google is the only company I know of that has ever found something from the UN that benefits mankind - they took the UN translations of a speech from English into about 100 languages, and from that it powers translation of foreign languages into english.

Well I wish I would have known that, But I can finally say all those college french courses paid off.

F350

I'm sure you'd approve of foreign troops stationed in your town, after (hypothetically) whatever war they helped us win was over.

While they were still taking our money to rebuild
While they were still taking our economic development assistance
While they still were counting on us for protection from the Soviet Union

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There has been no Soviet Union since 1991 - 22 years ago already.

Time passes so fast when your having fun :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

A: Don't give them money.

B. See above.

C. That's for them to decide. I'd say "take your troops out" is pretty much the same as "we're not depending on your protection anymore". By your logic America offers "protection" in the same fashion as the mafia (come to think of it…).

Last edited: