• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you modify AR15 if you registered it as an assault rifle?

Tactical_Evo

So, we all know that the state of CT had a law about number of "bad features", so adding collapsible stocks, etc were off limits. Do those rules still apply after the new laws went into affect last year, and I registered mine? Thanks.

HPmatt

Mother May I? What hell, living in a state where you have to ask for permission about the 2A. Move out of there buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Mother May I? What hell, living in a state where you have to ask for permission about the 2A. Move out of there buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's one of few who registered his evil gun.

I don't need permission; any claim or person that say I do is sadly misinformed.

brk913

I will answer the question asked since everyone else is so up on the topic and helpful......it depends who you ask, there are a few people clinging to the "you can't do it" mantra......but no where in CT law does it state you cannot add or remove features from a firearm registered as an Assault Weapon. In other words, you already have a registered Assault Weapon as it has a pistol grip, converting it to a collapsible stock or adding a threaded barrel and flash hider does not make it anymore "assaultier", there are no tiered levels for assault weapons, either it is or it isn't......the general consensus is this, the legislature had two opportunities to write a line in the law that said something to the effect of "and any gun registered under this act must remain in the configuration it was in upon registration" but they did not do so....take it for what it's worth...and any information you read on the internet given as legal advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, I suggest you get a qualified opinion from a CT attorney to confirm my statements.

AGust82

I agree with brk913. Did they ask on the form which evil features your gun has? Then how would they know what you have added or changed? The qualifiers are very thorough and in easy to read list form. I take this specifically as what is illegal today. Whether or not it would have been illegal 2 years ago is irrelevant now. For instance, you want to put a collapsible stock on an AR built in 2010. They were illegal then. What grounds would anyone have to charge you based on the old statutes? I'm no lawyer either but I'd say why not?

Good Citizen

What the farms unit told me

I asked the state police firearms unit, because I registered some things I dident need to, better safe than sorry, I wasn't sure, I was told by the detective by registering you are stating that you have a number of features on the weapon, and they didient know the state of the weapon before you registered, so he told me this and said read between the lines. From what I took away was, do what you want.

Again David Macbeth start a thred and tell us what you have in the state, list the items send a letter to the police and tell them you have what they now consider assault weapons and your not going to register them, and let's see how fast you don't get raided, and the schmuck for Dallas contribute with out dumb Sh@t comments, this is the CT thread, fool we have a lot of things to deal with and try to litigate we don't need some idiot saying yeah U need to move. Hey Dave if it's unconstitutional to have to register, get yourself caught &arrested and litigate it or shut the F&$K, up.

Last edited:

Lord Sega

Side question, say you registered a AR-15 that had the evil "assault" bits, then later you modify it down so that it now no longer fits the state's definition of an "assault" rifle, can you go and request that the registration be removed / deleted?

Edit to add: if so, how many people could you get to register, then change config and un-register, then change back and re-register, so on and so on... say once a week, every week...

Last edited:

Good Citizen

One time entry

Side question, say you registered a AR-15 that had the evil "assault" bits, then later you modify it down so that it now no longer fits the state's definition of an "assault" rifle, can you go and request that the registration be removed / deleted?

Edit to add: if so, how many people could you get to register, then change config and un-register, then change back and re-register, so on and so on... say once a week, every week...

In CT you had to meet the deadline to register the "assault weapon" destroy it move it out the state ect, you can modify the weapon, so it no longer has the features chosen to consider it "assaultly" and they will remove it from what I understand, but you can't add any new assault weapons to the data base, if you choose to move to CT as an example you would not be able to bring a weapon that you own legally in another state with you, if the losers in legislature, deemed it dangerous, due to its features.