• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can I transport a firearm through ny state?

Leverdude

Acording to NY state law that conflicts with federal law, no. But in reality you can certainly go through NYS with a gun perfectly legally. Its got to be unloaded & stowed out of reach, away from ammunition.

Federal law says that you can go through any state regardless of that states laws as long as you can legally posess the pistol on both ends of your journey.

Just be aware that if caught you will get arrested & need to prove your case in court. Chances are good you will not see the gun again either.

mrjam2jab

Acording to NY state law that conflicts with federal law, no. But in reality you can certainly go through NYS with a gun perfectly legally. Its got to be unloaded & stowed out of reach, away from ammunition.

Federal law says that you can go through any state regardless of that states laws as long as you can legally posess the pistol on both ends of your journey.

Just be aware that if caught you will get arrested & need to prove your case in court. Chances are good you will not see the gun again either.

Separate from ammo is not part of the federal statute.

pro2A

I was wondering if I can lawfully travel through ny state with a handgun and if so what the lawful and legal way to transport would be, thanks!

Federal law permits it. I vacation in Maine every summer (I have a Maine non-res CCL) and you can't exactly go around NYS... Just be sure to keep a copy of the federal law and make sure all firearms are unloaded in a locked case, with all ammo locked up in a separate case in your trunk. You also still have 5th Amendment rights if stopped, so keep that in mind. Also, if your place of origin and destination are both legal i.e. Pennsylvania and Maine then you are fine.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Last edited:

Jero1987

Best way to get around NY with a gun....

Step #1: Buy a boat.
Step #2: Sail out to international waters.
Step #3:Sail past NY and land in your intended state.

or go through Canada with the appropriate paperwork.

These are easier.....