• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland prepares for riots

Coded-Dude

Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts said today that he believes his department is well prepared for any unrest that might occur after former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle is sentenced on Friday.

............--Moderator Edited--
We must observe copyrights - READ THE RULES PLEASE.

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

This article even clearly showed: Copyright 2010 / All Rights Reserved
ABC News 10

I doubt it will get as bad as when he was convicted, but its still too early to tell.

[EDIT]

For those of you who aren't familiar with the back story. The BART cop alleges to have attempted to grab his taser when he actually grabbed his firearm, causing the death of an unarmed civilian(who was "resisting")

Last edited:
K

kittyhawk63

For you who are not familiar with transit systems in the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Area, BART mean Bay Area Rapid Transit. This is a commuter train system. Much more information can be found on the Internet.

There is mention of a "train" in the article above.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

forgot about posting excerpts only....sorry about that.

Here is the video of the original incident.

[video=youtube;IKy-WSZMklc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKy-WSZMklc[/video]

The officer was convicted of Involuntary Manslaughter and faces as little as probation, and as much as 14 years.

Ca Patriot

Is he still eligible under sentencing laws for the "firearm attachment" ?? I have heard that no court would ever uphold that attachment for a police officer.

Anyone care to opine ?

Coded-Dude

good question.

In finding Johannes Mehserle guilty of involuntary manslaughter, the jury also concluded that the 28-year-old is guilty of a gun enhancement, immediately raising questions among legal scholars about whether the gun enhancement contradicted the jury's primary verdict of involuntary manslaughter.

the judge has a tough call to make

The gun enhancement law was added to California's penal code in an effort to more severely punish criminals for using guns when they commit crimes. The law allows prosecutors to seek harsher punishments against defendants found guilty of using a gun while committing a felony.

By its definition, the gun enhancement states that a person should be found guilty of the crime if they "personally and intentionally discharged a firearm" while committing a felony.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/4295346

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

The gun enchacement in this case is rediculous. Thats like convicting someone of drunk driving and adding a sentencing enhancement for using a car !!

Coded-Dude

Los Angles Superior Court Judge Robert Perry also gave Mehserle credit for 292 days already served, which would reduce his two-year sentence to just over a year and two months.

The judge tossed out the gun enhancement charge imposed by the jury, which would have carried up to 10 additional years in prison. Perry agreed with the defense that jurors were confused when they applied the gun enhancement charge.
full story

the the repercussions begin........

Last edited:

Daylen

manslaughter can be done with more than just a firearm. I guess a firearm makes the person more dead though or something...

demnogis

The judge tossed out the gun enhancement charge imposed by the jury, which would have carried up to 10 additional years in prison. Perry agreed with the defense that jurors were confused when they applied the gun enhancement charge.

Wait wait wait WAIT a freakin second here. A judge "threw out" part of a verdict by a jury? What the EFF?! What good is the judicial system when a freakin judge over-rules the verdict (or part of the verdict) of a jury?! I, for one, HOPE THERE ARE RIOTS.

full story

the the repercussions begin........

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

Personally I think every police department in America should revise their Tazer policies to allow usage ONLY when an officers safety is in jeopordy. I dont think they should ever be used for subjects who simply arent complying with demands.

ChiangShih

Man, what was the name of the cops attorney. He must be great. I can't imagine how he sold that tazer defense because I can't wrap my head around how a trained LEO confuses a tazer for a glock/beretta whatever he was carrying. Especially seeing has he was not in any immediate danger and the victim was essentially already subdued. Either way, IMO, the people have a right to protest at this point.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Man, what was the name of the cops attorney. He must be great. I can't imagine how he sold that tazer defense because I can't wrap my head around how a trained LEO confuses a tazer for a glock/beretta whatever he was carrying. Especially seeing has he was not in any immediate danger and the victim was essentially already subdued. Either way, IMO, the people have a right to protest at this point.

Peaceful protest, not rioting, damaging innocent's property and looting - that is mob mentality.

mjones

Wait wait wait WAIT a freakin second here. A judge "threw out" part of a verdict by a jury? What the EFF?! What good is the judicial system when a freakin judge over-rules the verdict (or part of the verdict) of a jury?! I, for one, HOPE THERE ARE RIOTS.

I haven't followed the story closely, but its my understanding that the judge dropped the 'firearm enhancement' charge. As a result the juries verdict on that charge is moot.

Gundude

Peaceful protest BBQ

did i just hear bbq?!?!?!?!

GUNDUDE.......WHERE ARE YOU WE SHOULD HAVE OUR PEACEFUL PROTEST BBQ hahah ill be sure to make the salsa hotter this time hahaha

How does next weekend sound. That should give everyone enough notice. Give me a few "I'll show up's" and which day you like, and I'll reserve the rec room/area.

JP

Last edited: