• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons screening services at the new Ann Arbor Municipal Center.

a2fireball

"The Ann Arbor City Council voted 10-0 Monday night to approve a $187,000 contract with Washtenaw County for weapons screening services at the new Ann Arbor Municipal Center."

"...determined it's best for the safety of the public, parties to litigation, judges, the magistrate and court staff to conduct weapons screening at the public entrance."

http://www.annarbor.com/news/ann-ar...or-weapons-screening-at-new-municipal-center/

DanM

I see this in the future for the battle for RKBA in Michigan: tearing down the abuse of the mis-application of the MI Supreme Court administrative order banning firearms in courthouses, courts, and court offices.

The pertinent part of the MI SC model order is "No weapons are allowed in the (courthouse, courtroom, office, or space used for official court business or by judicial employees)."
--http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/resources/other/lao/lao15-model.doc

Where courts and their "office, or space used for official court business, or by judicial employees" are housed in a building with non-court government offices, the order is being improperly used in many places to deny RKBA in the non-court areas.

I hope to see some activism to tear this wrong down! I'm in for the fight!

Beerme

Banned
so the building they are going to be screening houses a court?
let them screen then, they will not catch us law abiding citizens they will catch the badguys.

TheQ

Tearing down these obstacles will prove difficult because a system that employs ppl and makes money has been made (as this thread points out) in order to enforce these policies. The people making money would resist the change.

DanM

Tearing down these obstacles will prove difficult because a system that employs ppl and makes money has been made (as this thread points out) in order to enforce these policies. The people making money would resist the change.

Of course. ". . . then they fight you, then you win." (M. K. Gandhi). Eventually, we win.

Tucker6900

I know of one "Court" building that has had metal detectors up for years. 55th district court in Mason. There are court rooms AND public areas in the same building. So is that illegal? Ive always wondered what would happen if a LAC were to walk in to pay a traffic ticket.

Super Trucker

I know of one "Court" building that has had metal detectors up for years. 55th district court in Mason. There are court rooms AND public areas in the same building. So is that illegal? Ive always wondered what would happen if a LAC were to walk in to pay a traffic ticket.

Dearborn Hgts (20th district) has the same thing.
You have to pay traffic fines in the same building as the court, metal detectors are right at the entry door to the building, no hardware allowed anywhere in the building.

Onnie

Same with Monroe County, all offices are in the court house, the judge here IMO went way overboard, he closed off all entrances but one and for quite some time its like walking into a top security facility. You have to be searched just to go and pay a fine or pick something up from the County Clerk, I try not to go in there if I don't have to.

B

Bikenut

Funny story...

Saginaw's Court house is a maximum security facility... Officers man a check point complete with metal detecters at the entrance. So one day I went in for an errand and after carefully leaving my sidearm and even my pocket knife in the car... I put cell phone, keys, and change in the little bucket... and stepped through the archway to the sound of the buzzer.

Ok... step back through and put belt buckle in the little bucket... and ... bzzzt! again. After failing the second time a young officer waves me over so he can do the wand thingy... and the wand goes nuts at my waist on my weak side and I thought... "Oh CRAP! I forgot to take the spare mag off!"

So the young officer moves my coat aside... sees the magazine.. and shouts all excited... "He's got a loaded magazine!"

And his partner, a much older and experienced officer, said.... "So what do you think he's gonna do? Build a gun while he's in here? Tell him to put the magazine in one of the lockers."

And I did.

scot623

I was denied entry into the Macomb County Building(shares a court) because I was wearing an EMPTY holster!! He said it LOOKS like I'm carrying a gun, so I had remove it and put it in the car before I was allowed in.

Vmaxx

I was denied entry into the Macomb County Building(shares a court) because I was wearing an EMPTY holster!! He said it LOOKS like I'm carrying a gun, so I had remove it and put it in the car before I was allowed in.

WTF!! If you point your finger & raise your thumb it jesters a gun so cut your hands off & leave them in the car too!!