• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to open carry! But could use some advice on how to do it legally,

JGDGlock

I'm scheduled for my CCW training in 6 weeks, but want to know more about open carry option for use now, and after I get my permit. What I don't understand, is if I have my handgun carried openly ( in a paddle holster with the entire firearm visible on my hip), do I run the risk of breaking the law should i find myself partially conceling my weapon when I sit? How about if part of my shirt were to come untucked and cover part of the grip?

I love the idea of OC and am obsessively responsible. So I want to be sure on this and haven't found any legal direction such as "open carry is considered X, and is permitted only when the firearm is X % visible at all times" etc.

This may be a stupid question so sorry if it's not what you normally discuss on this forum. I just don't know what I don't know and would appreciate any advice. Thanks, John/...

eye95

Step one would be to ask the above question in the Ohio forum. The State forums are at the bottom of the main index and listed in alphabetical order.

Laws on OC (and on carry in general) vary widely from State to State. You really should look for advice from folks who know the laws in your State.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
OC

Yes, OH is an open carry friendly state. But you do need to check OH laws. For example here in WA you can OC but when you get in your car you have to remove it, and unload it unless you have a CPL.

zack991

Yes, OH is an open carry friendly state. But you do need to check OH laws. For example here in WA you can OC but when you get in your car you have to remove it, and unload it unless you have a CPL.

This was the only reason I got my CHL, and now my wife will be getting hers soon. She found out they have carry purses and is now asking for one.

Last edited:

eye95

Exactly. That is why the poster needs to go to the OH forum, do some reading, and ask questions there. OC is legal in AL, but we have some quirks. Folks who would OC in AL need to know them. I am sure OH has quirks too.

emtechnik

In WA you can OC but as long as you have you CHL you are good to go and aren't REQUIRED to OC or CC, and can do semi-CC, etc. as the others have said, check your state laws. I have heard about people getting charged with "brandishing" for simply printing inside their shirt, which I assume is the nature of your question.

Badger Johnson

You have to wonder what dodo enacted this stupid law, because now you have someone sitting in their car, steering wheel in the way, trying to unrack and get their mag out. It's a recipe for shooting yourself in the foot, literally.

Do they REALLY think an unloaded HG in a car makes anyone safer? Do they REALLY think BGs will unload when they are driving around?

Someone needs to have a big chart in the legal chambers, on what is dangerous and what is not. Numbers on ND (negligent discharge), numbers on road rage, numbers on when HGs are accidentally discharged and by whom. THEN make their silly laws.

ND by LEOs on Youtube - yep, that one is famous.
ND by nonLEOs on Youtube - ?
Roadragers with CPL and training who stay in their car and shoot someone aggressively (not defensively) - ?
ND by LEOs trying to unload your unfamiliar gun in their squad car (for what?) - ?
DV (domestic violence) shootings by trained CPL users, vs DV shootings by others.

ISTM they make these rules/laws with NO knowledge, study or information. It's all 'well this makes me look good/feel good, let's make it a law'.
/rant

eye95

IANAL, but a partially concealed firearm would be construed in court against the carrier in the worst possible way. If OC under the circumstances is illegal, partially concealed carry will be considered OC. If CC under the circumstances is illegal, partially concealed carry will be considered CC.

I recommend that each time you carry, it is pure CC or pure OC. Or an absolute certainty that both are absolutely lawful in your present circumstances.

eye95

You would be good to go, as both CC and OC are legal in your state. I'm not sure of the preemption status on your state so you could check into that.

I am very familiar with the laws of my State. On ALOC, I am the guy they ask about the law. OC and CC are indeed both lawful, CC with a license. Therefore, if I were to "casual carry" without a license, I would risk the carry as being considered concealed in court and being convicted of a gun crime.

Considering that folks post in "Open Carry Questions" from all jurisdictions, my point about "casual carry" being construed against the carrier in the worst possible way remains relevant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Questions regarding OC vs CC are probably best posted to the state forum to which the question pertains. There are too many differences in the laws from one state to the next to generalize here.

eye95

The principle that "casual carry" could be construed in court in the worst possible way for the carrier would not be limited to any one State. True that, if a State allows BOTH CC and OC equally and unfettered, "casual carry" would not matter one whit. Unfortunately, there are not many "constitutional carry" States yet.

So, the warning that "casual carry" could be thought of as either CC or OC, at the whim of the prosecutor, is relevant to almost everyone here. How that warning is taken will, of course, depend on the particulars of any given State.

protect our rights

I am very familiar with the laws of my State. On ALOC, I am the guy they ask about the law. OC and CC are indeed both lawful, CC with a license. Therefore, if I were to "casual carry" without a license, I would risk the carry as being considered concealed in court and being convicted of a gun crime.

I was saying that in OHIO, as long as you have the Permit; it is completely legal to have a gun properly holstered half covered by a jacket. That was the answer to the question in which he was asking.

eye95

I was saying that in OHIO, as long as you have the Permit; it is completely legal to have a gun properly holstered half covered by a jacket. That was the answer to the question in which he was asking.

As you did not address the OP or quote him, I assumed that you were replying to my post immediately preceding yours. No problem, I created that precise confusion in another thread. It happens on message boards.

Dreamer

This was the only reason I got my CHL, and now my wife will be getting hers soon. She found out they have carry purses and is now asking for one.

I would highly recommend AGAINST a CC purse.

If you REALLY want to buy your gun-toting wife a $-3-digit purse, buy her a nice Coach bag, and get her a decent holster made specifically for women. She'll be MUCH better off in the long run.

If a mugger runs up behind your wife and snatches her purse, then what good it the gun? Not only is she disarmed, and without her purse, but now the BG has HER gun.

Not good...

Shop around and have her get a good holster, and modify her wardrobe for carry. It is the opinion of most people that "carry purses" not just a way for holster companies to bilk women out of obscenely inflated prices for what amounts to "stylish CC", but are actually an irresponsible and potentially deadly way to carry.

See what "Cornered Cat" website (the BEST female-targeted pro-carry website out there) has to say about the matter:

http://www.corneredcat.com/holster/purse.aspx

Last edited:

HeroHog

I bag carry BUT I carry with the strap across my chest and replaced the original strap with a wider and MUCH sturdier Laptop Bag strap. If they snatch MY bag they will also have my 300lb carcass tagging along with it! The bag has a nice Concealed compartment with its own Velcro holster that can be positioned however is best for the wearer. Right now, I have it set up for Open Carry mounting a belt clip holster in place with Velcro straps and it works great and allows me to quickly and easily switch between the two carry methods.

Concealed Mode:
carry05.jpg

carry04.jpg

Open Mode
EDC-OC01.jpg

speedy-wc.jpg

Last edited: