• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bringing a firearm back to ny

Gary S

I have a question. I live in Oklahoma i moved from ny about 18 years ago, my sister still lives there in the oceanside are but is in Alaska with her boyfriend for a few months.
She wants to buy a firearm while in Alaska to take back to ny with her, i know the laws are strict. Is it even possible to do such a thing and what kind of advice can any one give me to help her get through all the red tape and whatever other color tape they feel is necessary to go thru.
Thank you all in advance.

badger54

I'm assuming she is a New York resident, so she would need to transfer the gun from the dealer in Alaska to an FFL in New York to keep within federal law. If she doesn't already have a New York license it would probably be easier to buy the gun when she returns to New York. This will also ensure that the gun is legal to own in New York as the laws are somewhat different between the two states.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Gary S

I'm assuming she is a New York resident, so she would need to transfer the gun from the dealer in Alaska to an FFL in New York to keep within federal law. If she doesn't already have a New York license it would probably be easier to buy the gun when she returns to New York. This will also ensure that the gun is legal to own in New York as the laws are somewhat different between the two states.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Yeah she is a ny resident but has no license, is it hard to get one in new York . Thank you

MKEgal

The only gun she could buy out of state would be a long gun.
To get a pistol legally, it would have to be a gift.
If she wanted to buy a pistol herself, she'd have to have it shipped from wherever she buys it to an FFL in her state. With all the fees that racks up, it'd have to be a really good deal to make sense not to just buy it at home.

Gary S

The only gun she could buy out of state would be a long gun.
To get a pistol legally, it would have to be a gift.
If she wanted to buy a pistol herself, she'd have to have it shipped from wherever she buys it to an FFL in her state. With all the fees that racks up, it'd have to be a really good deal to make sense not to just buy it at home.
Ok thank you very much i will pass the info on to her and let her decide what route to take. Again thank you very much

hermannr

Oceanside? Nassau county?? No way Jose, not unless you jump through ALL the hoops. To all you guys out there...this means long guns too.

You have to have the paperwork done, by serial number, and obtain a premisses permit even for a rifle or shotgun...and a hand gun? Ha Ha...18 months, if you have connections...maybe