• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chipotle: Don't Bring Your Guns into Our Stores

Wc

Chipotle is asking customers not to bring firearms into its stores after it says gun rights advocates brought military-style assault rifles into one of its restaurants in Texas.

The Denver-based company notes that it has traditionally complied with local laws regarding open and concealed firearms.

But in a statement Monday, the company said that "the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."

The announcement came after a petition by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, which has called on other companies to ban firearms in their stores as well. The group said its petition was in reaction to open-carry gun activists appearing at a Dallas-area Chipotle restaurant over the weekend.

Erika Soto Lamb, a spokeswoman for the group, said she thought the move by Chipotle was a "bold statement," especially considering its previous stance of complying with local laws.

Many states allow people to carry licensed guns in some way, but some businesses exercise their right to ban firearms.

A Chipotle restaurant is seen on March 5, 2014 in Miami, Fla.

A Chipotle spokesman didn't immediately respond when asked if the company's request was an outright ban, or how it would respond if people continued to bring firearms into its restaurants.

Last year, Starbucks Corp. also told customers that guns were no longer welcome in its cafes after it had to temporarily close a store in Newton, Connecticut, to avoid a demonstration by gun rights advocates. The company said it shut down the store out of respect for the community, where 20 school children and six educators had been slain.

The Seattle-based coffee chain stopped short of a ban, however, saying it didn't want to put its workers in the position of having to ask people carrying guns to leave its stores. Its carefully worded decision also underscored how major companies need to walk a fine line on highly divisive political issues.

Likewise, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. noted in its statement that "there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue." It said it hoped that customers who oppose carrying guns in public agree that "it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area."

- Associated Press

First published May 19th 2014, 4:30 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/chipotle-dont-bring-your-guns-our-stores-n109531

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27492193

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2014/05/20/chipotle-gun-open-carry/?iref=allsearch

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

I sent them an email and here is the response.

The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food.

Recently participants from an “open carry” demonstration in Texas brought guns (including military-style assault rifles) into one of our restaurants, causing many of our customers anxiety and discomfort. Because of this, we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

Historically, we felt it enough to simply comply with local laws regarding the open or concealed carrying of firearms, because we believe that it is not fair to put our team members in the uncomfortable position of asking that customers refrain from bringing guns into our restaurants. However, because the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers, we think it is time to make this request.

We acknowledge that there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue. We have seen those differing positions expressed in the wake of this event in Texas, where pro-gun customers have contacted us to applaud our support of the Second Amendment, and anti-gun customers have expressed concern over the visible display of military-style assault rifles in restaurants where families are eating. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and we appreciate them honoring this request. And we hope that our customers who oppose the carrying of guns in public agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

Sincerely,
Jillian

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill

GhostOfJefferson

Their "Talk To Us" page is here. I left them a message as well, and encourage all carriers to do so.

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/talk_to_us/talk_to_us.aspx

But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

Weasel words, of course, since clearly they are now taking sides in the "debate". Odd, the 2nd Amendment seems like it was settled business in the 1700's and was not open for further "debate". I wonder how she'd respond if a hundred people sent her a petition to prohibit the open display of homosexuality in their restaurants because it made them "uncomfortable" and "families were present"? That's rhetorical, we know how they'd respond.

Funny how things that are not rights are given the full monty treatment, but traditional peaceful rights are shunned in modern America.

Last edited:

Logan 5

Hmmm. I guess take your money elsewhere. You have the freedom of choice regarding where you eat and spend your money just as much as they have the freedom of choice in deciding if people can force them into the political arena.

They are there to make money, not a political statement. They appear to prefer to err on the side of caution. I think they could have worded it better, but I see their reasoning.

GhostOfJefferson

Hmmm. I guess take your money elsewhere. You have the freedom of choice regarding where you eat and spend your money just as much as they have the freedom of choice in deciding if people can force them into the political arena.

They are there to make money, not a political statement. They appear to prefer to err on the side of caution. I think they could have worded it better, but I see their reasoning.

The way to not make political statements is to not actually make a political statement. They have sided with the anti's which is, in fact, a political statement no matter how they wish to weasel word their reply. Their previous position, simply allowing state law to dictate how they respond to firearms, was an apolitical stance.

I do agree with property rights and will honor their request that I don't bring my money into their restaurants.

WalkingWolf

Chipotle did NOT ban guns from their resturants, again the media and MDA are spinning a lie, and so many folks fall for it.

Here is their relevant remarks to carry in Chipotle.

“Because of this we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.”

“The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and we appreciate them honoring this request,” the statement continues. “And we hope that our customers who oppose the carrying of guns in public agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.”

Please get a grip...

acmariner99

Even though they are only asking gun owners not to carry in their stores, it makes us look bad if we fail to honor the request. I see these kinds of businesses as CC or no carry establishments for that reason.

What really irks me is that two people messed this up for all of us; they punish everybody for the stupidity of a few. I think long gun OC is unsafe and shouldn't be done because of muzzle and weapons control. Do people have the right to do it? Absolutely, but I don't think it should be done in public.

WalkingWolf

Even though they are only asking gun owners not to carry in their stores, it makes us look bad if we fail to honor the request. I see these kinds of businesses as CC or no carry establishments for that reason.

What really irks me is that two people messed this up for all of us; they punish everybody for the stupidity of a few. I think long gun OC is unsafe and shouldn't be done because of muzzle and weapons control. Do people have the right to do it? Absolutely, but I don't think it should be done in public.

Hogwash, two people did not mess this up. If you fall for the BS YOU are messing this up. The biggest mistake, and what the antis love is when we turn on ourselves, and some of you are all too willing to do it.

They followed the law, Chipotles made a statement that is clearly fence sitting, and intended to appease both sides. Nothing has changed, if you wish to not eat there take responsibility for it yourself. I don't ever eat there, and it is nobodies responsibility but mine.

Give the antis and inch and they will gladly take a mile. They hate guns, long guns, handguns, open guns, concealed carry guns, they hate guns.

mikeyb

Chipotle did NOT ban guns from their resturants, again the media and MDA are spinning a lie, and so many folks fall for it.

Here is their relevant remarks to carry in Chipotle.

“Because of this we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.”

“The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and we appreciate them honoring this request,” the statement continues. “And we hope that our customers who oppose the carrying of guns in public agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.”

Please get a grip...

This ^

They might as well asked their customers to not be idiots on Facebook. Just because you ask politely doesn't make it policy- or more importantly- law.

Arin Morris

Why do these retarded morons keep doing this?? They are not doing anybody any good. They are hurting the cause.

You do realize this took place in Texas, right? If I understand correctly, the only legal OC in Texas is long guns. Why would they be morons for exercising a right?

rushcreek2

How about a little COMMON SENSE ?

The RIGHT to keep and bear arms that is reserved to we the people in these United States comes with the same IMPLIED caveat that accompanies EVERY Constitutionally reserved RIGHT.

We the People of these United States have this right to keep and bear arms for home protection, individual self protection, militia related duties , hunting, and tangentially related activities pursuant to the aforementioned.

This RIGHT does not extend to unnecessary demonstrations of the armed condition anywhere, and anytime.

I've said this before, and I'll say it once more. Organize a militia unit, lease some acreage for hunting, and target practice perhaps, arm yourself yourself when at home , and when in public.

This presenting with a group of people carrying AR's & AK's at businesses UNINVITED must stop.

WalkingWolf

WHAT?:shocker:

The second amendment only protects the people from the government, it is not about self defense, hunting, sport shooting or any of that other BS that has been put on the people by carpetbaggers like the NRA.

It is damn lucky that the civil rights movement happened in the sixties, it would have no chance today with the attitude of the sheeple.

Last edited:

Repeater

National Review says NO GUNS

Well!

Chipotle Was Right To Ban Firearms
Who would feel comfortable sitting in a Chipotle, enjoying a burrito bowl (carnitas, hold the guac!), when in walks a group of guys holding assault weapons and strangely posing for photos? Would anyone feel comfortable after so many mass shootings have been burned into our memories?

Most folks would not. Even those of us supportive of gun rights understand that a small restaurant, usually populated with a significant number of children, where alcoholic beverages are sold, is not an appropriate venue in which to sport a large rifle across one’s shoulder.

Here is the photo that upsets NR's Delgado:

chipotleopencarryarticle.jpg

He continues:
What other businesses are next? Where else will the foolish few ruin it for the vast majority of sensible, modest gun owners?

Some perpetually outraged pundits and commentators have painted Chipotle as the next showdown at the O.K. Corral. It isn’t. You gotta know when to hold ’em, and know when to fold ’em.

Let this one go. Chipotle is right.

-- A. J. Delgado is a conservative writer and lawyer.