• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time shooting an AR-15 mixed emotions

Jimmy123

Today at range was my first time shooting an AR-15. Ok no big deal right? Although for me it was an experience. My first thought is wow now I see why some want to ban it. Second thought was I would not want to be shot by this thing! After putting about 60 rounds through it I was convinced, now I really want one of these! Such a loud and powerful rifle man forget my BS handguns. I would want this gun to be my one and only go to weapon..lol Once my hour was up while leaving the range the thought entered my mind. Of all the Men and Women in the military that are fighting for their lives and our freedom daily with this rifle. Look at me a civilian getting the enjoyment of shooting at a paper target in a closed safe environment. Again, I would not want to be on the receiving end nor laying someone out with one of these. Just thought I would share my experience. Stay safe..:)

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkingWolf

If you want loud and powerful try shooting a nagant. The AR-15 was designed to be easy to teach and quick to learn with. Low recoil in a mild rifle round, light weight, ergonomic, and not very loud. I can't understand or see any reason for banning any gun.

Rusty Young Man

Today at range was my first time shooting an AR-15. Ok no big deal right? Although for me it was an experience. My first thought is wow now I see why some want to ban it. Second thought was I would not want to be shot by this thing! After putting about 60 rounds through it I was convinced, now I really want one of these! Such a loud and powerful rifle man forget my BS handguns. I would want this gun to be my one and only go to weapon..lol Once my hour was up while leaving the range the thought entered my mind. Of all the Men and Women in the military that are fighting for their lives and our freedom daily with this rifle. Look at me a civilian getting the enjoyment of shooting at a paper target in a closed safe environment. Again, I would not want to be on the receiving end nor laying someone out with one of these. Just thought I would share my experience. Stay safe..:)

Glad you had fun.:) Try out other rifles and pistols to gain some understanding of what they can ACTUALLY do vs what the media SAYS they can do. I think you'll be as surprised as some members of my family were when I took them shooting for the first time.

I don't know about you, but the AR-15's recoil seems kind of (VERY) tame compared a Mosin-Nagant.
Maybe if I were able to shoot a military-style rifle (one with full-auto or burst-fire capability that only military and LEOs or very rich people can have, instead of the semi-auto version that civilians get).:D

davidmcbeth

Banned
I assume it was a .223 chambered AR and not a 458, 50 beo ... due to the "light recoil" statement.

A 223 AR is a definite good choice to be included in a range of firearm arsenal.

All depends on what the owner desires of of his/her weapon system.

77zach

LOL, that's kind of how I feel when I shoot a 30 round mag of 7.62X51 (.308) from my FN FAL. Well, I did feel that way until Newtown when .308 went to a dollar a piece.

Firearms Iinstuctor

One has to remember those with limited firearms experience are easily impressed when shooting new and unfamiliar firearms.

Just getting them out and shooting is a good thing.

They well come to a better understanding of what different arms are capable as their experience grows.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Being that long guns are "off topic", take a look at the AR pistols that are available. I have several as every AR build I do starts off as a pistol. They tend to be a bit loud, easy to handle and a great deal of fun.

For big noise (and really big fun) I take out the ishapoor Lee Enfield in .308. I call it the Cannon. Everyone at the range looks when it is fired.

Last edited:

idodishez

Why people want it banned? Loud?
Really?
Sounds like media swooning to me.

I took many members of my family shooting w my AR-15. Much to the disappointment of the MSM, it was not as loud and had less recoil than most of my handguns. But it sure does look "evil" as the media would like to portray.

Fun as hell, yes. Long range shooting, yes. Precision, yes. But smaller caliber' less recoil, and not as "loud" as many handguns.

"I miss America"

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Second thought was I would not want to be shot by this thing! After putting about 60 rounds through it I was convinced, now I really want one of these! Such a loud and powerful rifle man forget my BS handguns.

Um, you were wearing hearing protection, right?

And please go shoot some rifle, any rifle, whose caliber doesn't start with .22 and then talk to us about power.

The .223 is an anemic varmint round, which makes it perfect for giving to 18-year-olds from the city who are going into combat in short order.

I have two and I love them, but they're not my "powerful" rifles.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Um, you were wearing hearing protection, right?

And please go shoot some rifle, any rifle, whose caliber doesn't start with .22 and then talk to us about power.

The .223 is an anemic varmint round, which makes it perfect for giving to 18-year-olds from the city who are going into combat in short order.

I have two and I love them, but they're not my "powerful" rifles.

Well, slap another upper on it and the AR is a powerful rifle.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The AR-15 caliber designation is the 5.56mm round. Yes it can also chamber the .223 as well but it was intended to use the 5.56 round. At least, that's what my Armalite M15A2 Carbine and Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport say.

Unless you, for some unfathomable reason, own any weapons uselessly chambered in .223 (as opposed to .223 Wylde), they are the same cartridge with slightly different loadings.

Personally, I would never buy a barrel chambered in .223.