• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Felony to record

stuckinchico

Nope. And the ACLU just lost a case in January 2011 in federal district court (Northern District of Illinois) while attempting to use this very argument. It wanted to record public conversations of police interacting with citizens without (presumably) consent from either party. [ SNip snip tuck]

If i have the recorder on me obviously im consenting. so thats automatically one party consent

()pen(arry

There seems to be a fundamental disconnect in perception among many people on these forums.

What is legal is what council can convince a judge and/or jury is legal.

What is arrestable is everything. Everything. And if you think there's meaningful sanction against an officer who arrests falsely, the Scientologists are looking for more adherents.

What should be discussed, when someone wants to know if it's okay to do something, is less what standing law declares legal or illegal, and more what is or isn't prone to get you arrested, no matter the legality. Court-adjudicated legality is a concern for those who can afford legal bills. Arrest likelihood is what most of us are interested in.

HandyHamlet

Just WHO are you Mr. SAGE -O- WISDOM?

CLEARLY you can not hail from this Milky Way for you speak the truth with clarity of vision.

Welcome.

and I'll add that no, I am not kidding. Great post ()pen(arry.

Last edited:

papa bear

been a lot of this subject talked about lately. John Stossel's show was about recording. he had some of the guest that busted dirty organizations with hiding camera's.

part of this problem is most people uses common sense when thinking about it.

one thing i have been wondering about, did anything every happen to Google street view?

bad17

I guess my thing is what's the big deal about taping. I don't see how the 1st amendment gives you the right to video and audio me at your pleasure. They did not have those things when they wrote it. LEO as big of a pain as they are have a pretty damn dangerous job and I don't blame them for not sugar coating everything they say. If I worked at a job where all day long people disrespected me and I had the chance to be shot at ya I guess I would be rude and crude to idiots who can't follow the laws. People it's real easy. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS and we wouldn't have the problems.

Just my .02

protias

I guess my thing is what's the big deal about taping. I don't see how the 1st amendment gives you the right to video and audio me at your pleasure. They did not have those things when they wrote it. LEO as big of a pain as they are have a pretty damn dangerous job and I don't blame them for not sugar coating everything they say. If I worked at a job where all day long people disrespected me and I had the chance to be shot at ya I guess I would be rude and crude to idiots who can't follow the laws. People it's real easy. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS and we wouldn't have the problems.

Just my .02

Video/audio recording helps protect the innocent (whether is it LEOs or non-LEOs). How would you like it if several people ganged up on a cop, beating the living crap out of him? If you could record the encounter so the police can capture those criminals, why would you not want that? Likewise, if you see several officers beating up on a person, wouldn't you want that documented?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Just my .02

How "rude and crude" you are is the least of my concerns.

What have you got to hide?

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS and we wouldn't have the problems.

Just my .02

Why don't you take your own advice. Here's why:

Aside from the whole "Constitution" thingy, believe it or not it IS THE BUSINESS of many AMERICANS to record and photograph. You know, for like a job man. That's why they are called PHOTOGRAPHERS, VIDEOGRAPHERS, PHOTOJOURNALISTS...

But hey, thanks for trolling.

:D