• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Girls With Guns - Well Done Article In UK Magazine

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nice job and kudos to Andreina Cordani and Eli Meir Kaplan.

Check out the story and pictures. We, OCDO, assisted this reporter from the UK do this story - spent time talking to her and put her in touch with the right people.

Had not a clue how it would turn out, but had a good gut feeling. Think she did a great job.

snipet:
"It's 2pm on a Wednesday afternoon at a downtown branch of Starbucks in Virginia. A queue of women snakes around the counter. They order skinny lattes and cakes, chat idly about their plans for the weekend and swap stories about how their kids are getting on at school. It's the sort of scene you'd expect to see at any Starbucks in the UK. Except for one glaring difference. Every one of these women is carrying a firearm."

http://netnemesis.org/misc/UK Marie Claire July 2010 - Girls With Guns by Andreina Cordani.pdf

or http://tiny.cc/v51kt

Yata hey

Last edited:

USMC1911

"Nice Job" ? She slammed American women.

"Many of the Women here are homely looking mothers with pushchairs or toddlers in tow."

Pro Gun ? ‘Any criminal can go to a gun show and buy a gun. Now he can wear it in Starbucks’ and "I go to Starbucks every day
and I don’t feel safe if I see someone carrying a gun. I don’t know if that person’s a good or a bad person "

The vast majority of BG's don't OC

One can NOT OC in a Bar in my state (WA. St.) "Recent months have seen OC activists stepping out with their weapons in cafes, bars and malls
across the country"

Another attack on 2A if you ask me !

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Nice Job" ? She slammed American women.

"Many of the Women here are homely looking mothers with pushchairs or toddlers in tow."

Pro Gun ? ‘Any criminal can go to a gun show and buy a gun. Now he can wear it in Starbucks’ and "I go to Starbucks every day
and I don’t feel safe if I see someone carrying a gun. I don’t know if that person’s a good or a bad person "

The vast majority of BG's don't OC

One can NOT OC in a Bar in my state (WA. St.) "Recent months have seen OC activists stepping out with their weapons in cafes, bars and malls
across the country"

Another attack on 2A if you ask me !

Read it again - she is describing women as they are, not slamming anyone. Some are over weight, some a skinny, some without any make-up - that is what "normal" people are - not magazine fashion models.

That she includes statements from those opposed does NOT make the article another attack on 2A IMO. Remember the author is not "selling" OC - she is reporting on it as it relates to women and did so more than fairly.

I for one would welcome scores of such articles every month in this country. The more public exposure, the more the false fears, lies and distortions will wither under the light of truth. Still say nicely done and hope she does more.

Yata hey

USMC1911

Respectfully Sir, I disagree.
I find the article to color OC in a bad light. I agree that the unknowing public needs to be educated about OC, but I am not sure this article is helpful. IMO, this article was jaded towards OC. My .02
Semper Fi

Jack House

Respectfully Sir, I disagree.
I find the article to color OC in a bad light. I agree that the unknowing public needs to be educated about OC, but I am not sure this article is helpful. IMO, this article was jaded towards OC. My .02
Semper Fi
It's an English article. WTF did you expect? I'm with Grapeshot, all things considered it was a very nice and very fair article.

eye95

No Bias.

I found the article to be a good example of balanced reporting on a controversial issue. The author refrained from expressing personal views, but had representative pro and con opinions.

I wish all reporting were of this impartial caliber.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
English usage

FWIW - "homely" in England is approximately equivalent to "homey" in the US -- meaning "like home" - warm, welcoming, nurturing ....

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
FWIW - "homely" in England is approximately equivalent to "homey" in the US -- meaning "like home" - warm, welcoming, nurturing ....

Correct. I posted about this in another thread where someone mentioned the article, but to repeat a thing or two (since I don't feel like searching for the other thread), we need to keep in mind that this is an article in a fashion magazine, is an article aimed at a society in which it is VERY rare to own any sort of firearm, and is an article which is likely heavily edited down (as most magazine articles are).

From those standpoints, it's a good article. Would it have been better if the Brady "facts" had gone challenged? Yes, but the article also did not challenge the assertions made by the pro-gun side either. Since we're not out to save England from itself, I think it stands as a plus for our side overall.

wylde007

But Carrie draws the line at carrying a gun on first dates. ‘It’s too much. But I start carrying after a few dates. The men I see tend to agree with my views. If a man didn’t want me to carry, I’d have second thoughts about him. I’d wonder why my safety wasn’t important to him.
So, umm, what if your "first" date is with a stalker, serial killer of some other kind of psychopath?

Way to make yourself a target.

And I can't read "homely" without it implying "unattractive" or "plain", the opposite of comely.

No, while this article isn't a deliberate hatchet-job, the tone is of questionable intent.

Harper1227

I'm with grape on this. I can't say I expected much better but i think she was genuinely attempting to show both sides of the argument. I was misquoted a few times, but i dont feel it was meant to change the context. Though, i have to say she did play up the paranoia aspect and i didnt appreciate that. BUT - again, what do you expect from a UK/women's mag.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This article was as more about making people aware of open carry than anything else. That it did do.

The more publicity that is garnered the better. The distortions and general dissemination of facts included in presenting a "balanced" article diminish in value each time an intelligent reader is exposed to them. Flotsam rises to the top where it may be skimmed aside. We are winning converts every day and articles like this do make a positive contribution.

My primary disappointment is that it will be read but little outside of the UK.

Yata hey

Jack House

So, umm, what if your "first" date is with a stalker, serial killer of some other kind of psychopath?

I saw that and couldn't help but to think that first dates are one of the times when women are most likely to need their gun. :confused:

since9

Campaign Veteran
One multinational science and astronomy forum of which I'm a member has about 25% of its moderator staff based in the UK. I once included a very small remark in my signature along the lines of "The best way to prevent crime is to deter it via open carry."

I was banned for a month!

They may be scientists, but they've been coddled in the soft, mind-mushing folds of academia so long they no longer possess the ability to correctly ascertain and counter a threat other than buying into the mindless and ridiculous ideal of eliminating firearms altogether (with all knives and sharp, pointed sticks on the docket immediately thereafter, no doubt).

Interestingly, it was only the UK mods who protested. Half of the US mods are gun-owners. Sadly, none of the forum's admins are gun owners, even though 3/4 of them are in the US.

Self-protection illiteracy must be a pre-requisite to becoming an admin on that forum.

Jack House

(with all knives and sharp, pointed sticks on the docket immediately thereafter, no doubt).
AHAHAHAHA Don't you know? Knives have already been on the docket and many have been banned, they are still trying to ban those hyper lethal, pesky swiss army pocket knives, and let's not forget those killing instruments we call kitchen knives! They are already highly regulated and many people want them banned out right !

Next on the docket is glass! Glass must be bant, it is far too dangerous for normal people to use!

But don't worry, I am sure that sticks and stones shall be on the docket soon enough!

MGoduto

Read it again - she is describing women as they are, not slamming anyone. Some are over weight, some a skinny, some without any make-up - that is what "normal" people are - not magazine fashion models.

That she includes statements from those opposed does NOT make the article another attack on 2A IMO. Remember the author is not "selling" OC - she is reporting on it as it relates to women and did so more than fairly.

I for one would welcome scores of such articles every month in this country. The more public exposure, the more the false fears, lies and distortions will wither under the light of truth. Still say nicely done and hope she does more.

Yata hey

Remember that our cousins in the UK talk funny in that they use different words than we would to describe the same thing...

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
One multinational science and astronomy forum of which I'm a member has about 25% of its moderator staff based in the UK. I once included a very small remark in my signature along the lines of "The best way to prevent crime is to deter it via open carry."

I was banned for a month!

They may be scientists, but they've been coddled in the soft, mind-mushing folds of academia so long they no longer possess the ability to correctly ascertain and counter a threat other than buying into the mindless and ridiculous ideal of eliminating firearms altogether (with all knives and sharp, pointed sticks on the docket immediately thereafter, no doubt).

Interestingly, it was only the UK mods who protested. Half of the US mods are gun-owners. Sadly, none of the forum's admins are gun owners, even though 3/4 of them are in the US.

Self-protection illiteracy must be a pre-requisite to becoming an admin on that forum.

I frequent the RV.net forums where any mention of a firearm will get the thread closed if the moderator is Canadian. The term is "hoplophobia" -- an irrational fear of weapons.

ODA 226

And I can't read "homely" without it implying "unattractive" or "plain", the opposite of comely.

No, while this article isn't a deliberate hatchet-job, the tone is of questionable intent.

My daughter Caitlin was pictured in that article and she is not "homely" by any means. The weird thing is that the photographer came to my house and spent the entire day there taking pictures of my wife and daughter and didn't put one picture of my wife in the article.

My wife is a former "Miss Dalmatia" (Former Yugoslavia) and still turns heads at 54. Maybe she was too good looking for the article? LOL !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My daughter Caitlin was pictured in that article and she is not "homely" by any means. The weird thing is that the photographer came to my house and spent the entire day there taking pictures of my wife and daughter and didn't put one picture of my wife in the article.

My wife is a former "Miss Dalmatia" (Former Yugoslavia) and still turns heads at 54. Maybe she was too good looking for the article? LOL !

She's a most pleasant person too. Would have been interesting to see her comparison of her birthplace to Virginia regarding personal freedoms and the RKBA.

Yata hey

ODA 226

She's a most pleasant person too. Would have been interesting to see her comparison of her birthplace to Virginia regarding personal freedoms and the RKBA.

Yata hey

Grape,
They talked to her at length about her wartime experiences in Croatia and how everyone panicked when the government came to seize all guns owned by civilians and shortly thereafter when the Serb Army began to attack Croatian towns and hardly anyone had weapons with which to defend themselves.

My wife's apartment was 500 meters from the front line for almost 5 years. She had to sleep in the basement with her neighbors at night because of mortar and artillery attacks. Civilians were pulled out of buses and shot and left to rot just because of their first or last names. She spoke of how a drunken soldier put a loaded gun to her head, cocking the hammer and told her that he was going to kill her because he though she was a Serb. (She's not.)

She's lived through the terror and I thought that the writer would put more of my wife's experiences in the article. It's a shame that she didn't.