• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to leave a country park?

xenophon

Asked to leave a county park?

I was reading this thread over in the Michigan forum:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?76015-Marysville-Stop

That got me thinking. If you were in a county park (not by a school zone), open carrying, and you were asked to leave by law enforcement, how would you handle that?

In their case, they were asked for ID and then asked to leave, and some "arguing" went on first. Open carrier CLEARLY had the debate won in the audio.

What would you do?

Last edited:
M

McX

winning a debate with a cop can still get a night stick shoved up your rear. i'd comply, get some names, report it to wisconsincarry, and get their opinion on it. some cop's opinion realy doesn't matter to me, wisconsincarry's opinion matters to me.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
The road to Hell is paved with what-ifs.

I'd leave on demand of an agent of the municipality rather than be trespassed. When asked for "ID" I state my name and residence.

I would not debate (with a fool), as I/we do here, because debate is structured with rules not acknowledged by all.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Wow!
I got to hand it to the guys who were being harassed by the cops, I don't think I could have kept from busting out laughing at the ridiculous statements spewing forth from cops mouths.

What a bunch of asshats!

"How do i know you're not a felon?"
My reply would have been "How do you know half the people here are not felons? You Don't! so just walk away and quit acting like a fool!

anmut

The biggest issues in dealing with LEO's:
- They are taught at the academy/school that they are "Always Right In Order To Control The Situation."

- They spend the majority of the time dealing with morons who debate and lie to them with every breath. Hence you are always "Assumed stupid until proven otherwise."

- Many are under-educated in the basic civil rights. While these were taught in classes most men and women who become law enforcement are going into the field because class room learning wasn't their cup of soup. The 40 hours spent on these rights are soon forgotten or muddied with "officer safety" and "evidence gathering" protocols.

And what I see is the biggest reason:
A law enforcement officer's job has become an overwhelming tumor of political correctness and gray area bureaucratic politics. Long gone are the days of To Protect And To Serve the public. But I don't blame our government for this - I blame the people. We have become a nation of "protect me at any cost, including the loss of our constitutional rights." Personal responsibility and accountability have been replaced by weak generations that couldn't or wouldn't want to live without the security blanket of big government.

AdamXD

Doesn't your first name and the state which you reside in satisfy the "name and residence" required if ID is not available?

Example:

Officer: Can I see you ID, sir?
Me: I'm sorry Officer, but I don't have ID on my person. I am only required to carry ID when operating a vehicle.
Officer: What's your name and address then?
Me: My name is Adam and I live in Wisconsin.

Does that satisfy the verbal ID request?

Doug Huffman

Banned
I believe so, except that "Wisconsin" is too large to be informative of your residence. I would say town, "Washington Island, Door County".

You are required to be able to establish your privilege to drive a motor-vehicle by surrendering your DL (registration and proof of insurance) on demand. Your Fourth Amendment Right against unwarranted (searches and) seizures of your papers protects your identification documents from government seizure for inspection.

In a situation where a verbal identification is adequate, so is silence. Or commanding privacy and your First Amendment Right of Association. Call the cop's bluff and you may get detained/arrested/incarcerated while your identity is established. We have only the Rights that we defend.

Yooper

Doesn't your first name and the state which you reside in satisfy the "name and residence" required if ID is not available?

Example:

Me: I'm sorry Officer, but I don't have ID on my person. I am only required to carry ID when operating a vehicle.

Thankfully in MI, we don't have to give our name and address. If they ask for them, we ask what crime we are suspected of committing. We don't have to give our names or address if we are not suspected of having committed, are in the process of committing, or about to commit a crime.

Yooper

Wow!
I got to hand it to the guys who were being harassed by the cops, I don't think I could have kept from busting out laughing at the ridiculous statements spewing forth from cops mouths.

What a bunch of asshats!

My reply would have been "How do you know half the people here are not felons? You Don't! so just walk away and quit acting like a fool!

answer: "How do you know ANY person walking with kids is not a dangerous pedophile, and that they don't have restraining orders prohibiting them from contact with those under 18?"

Phssthpok

Example:

Me: ID?
Officer: Identification...
Me: Identification is an action, not an object. While I suppose you could observe me identifying the objects around us, I am a bit confused as to why you would want to do so.

smithman

Example:

Except, if you are really in possession of your ID, then in this case you are obstructing an officer (never lie to a cop, they can lie to your face but you can't lie to them). Before giving your name or any other information, ask "Am I being detained or am I free to go". If he says you are free to go, say "Because you said I am not being detained, I am now ending this conversation and will leave this area to go about my business". Then walk away.

I don't choose to even have a buddy-buddy conversation with some random cop about OC. Some people would choose to talk casually with a pro-carry officer, but I would simply say "thanks for your support" and continue with my business.

xenophon

Except, if you are really in possession of your ID, then in this case you are obstructing an officer (never lie to a cop, they can lie to your face but you can't lie to them). Before giving your name or any other information, ask "Am I being detained or am I free to go". If he says you are free to go, say "Because you said I am not being detained, I am now ending this conversation and will leave this area to go about my business". Then walk away.

I don't choose to even have a buddy-buddy conversation with some random cop about OC. Some people would choose to talk casually with a pro-carry officer, but I would simply say "thanks for your support" and continue with my business.

Yeah don't confirm or deny if you have ID (when not driving, of course). Just refuse to give it to them, politely.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
In Milwaukee Co you will be cited for carrying a weapon in a county park so you won't have to worry about being asked to leave. This is a battle that we have yet to fight, only prepared for...a bit...

Cobra469

In Milwaukee Co you will be cited for carrying a weapon in a county park so you won't have to worry about being asked to leave. This is a battle that we have yet to fight, only prepared for...a bit...

Milwaukee County Parks are restricted? I have carried in the park by my house many times walking the dog. I was under the impression that statute was removed/reworded since it is not in the standard list of places that we quote as being restricted. I already know that technically having a dog in the park is restricted though it is very rarely enforced. If enforced at all.

Is this just something that has not been tested? I know it can be said that it is more restrictive than the state but not sure what has been said about it in the past.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
We were going to have a picnic at Greenfield Park (West Allis) but didn't want to push the issue of the parks prohibition at the time. Here is the specific Milwaukee Co ordinance:

47.05. Use of firearms, fireworks; hunting with bow and arrow and trapping; throwing of missiles; making of fires; deposit or breakage of tin cans, bottles and glassware; prohibitions.
(1) Use of firearms and fireworks; hunting with bow and arrow; trapping. No person shall carry, fire or discharge any gun, pistol or firearm, nor any rocket, torpedo or other fireworks of any description, nor shall any person engage in trapping within any park or parkway without a written permit of the department of parks, recreation and culture; nor shall any person hunt with bow and arrow within any park or parkway. No person shall carry, fire or discharge any gun, pistol or firearm, nor any rocket, torpedo or other fireworks of any description upon any premises owed or leased by Milwaukee County which is not part of the county parks and parkways. The word "gun" shall include airgun.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
Ack. This isn't preempted, due to the state park ban? (i.e. it's just as stringent?)

This event came on the heals of Brad Krause's court date and was moved to a private residence instead. We were in contact with the Milwaukee County Sheriff's, office who found out about it through the West Allis PD, at the time and they stated that we would be cited and could face $800 in fines each. I think that the parks ban is unenforceable, the organizer of the event (not I) didn't want the troubles.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Grandfathered ordinances only unenforcable in § 66.0409. All others pay cash.

I think that the parks ban is unenforceable,
Wisc. Stats. Annotated said:
§ 66.0409 Local regulation of firearms.
(1) In this section:
(a) “Firearm” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (c).
(b) “Political subdivision” means a city, village, town or county.
(c) “Sport shooting range” means an area designed and operated for the practice of weapons used in hunting, skeet shooting and similar sport shooting.

(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including
ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.
No mention yet of unenforceable!
Wisc. Stats. Annotated § 66.0409 said:
(3) (a) Nothing in this section prohibits a county from imposing a sales tax or use tax under subch. V of ch. 77 on any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, sold in the county.
(b) Nothing in this section prohibits a city, village or town that is authorized to exercise village powers under s. 60.22 (3) from enacting an ordinance or adopting a resolution that restricts the discharge of a firearm.

(4) (a) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, if the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

(am) Nothing in this section prohibits a political subdivision from continuing to enforce until November 30, 1998, an ordinance or resolution that is in effect on November 18, 1995, and that requires a waiting period of not more than 7 days for the purchase of a handgun.

(b) If a political subdivision has in effect on November 17, 1995, an ordinance or resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, and the ordinance or resolution is not the same as or similar to a state statute, the ordinance or resolution shall have no legal effect and the political subdivision may not enforce the ordinance or resolution on or after November 18, 1995.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Ok I'm confused. Does the state of WI have a ban on state park carry? I couldn't find a statute reference.

29.089 Hunting on land in state parks and state fish
hatcheries. (1) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may
hunt or trap on land located in state parks or state fish hatcheries.
(2) Except as provided in sub. (3), no person may have in his
or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land
located in state parks or state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is
unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.

(3) A person may hunt deer, elk, wild turkeys, or small game
in a state park, or in a portion of a state park, if the department has
authorized by rule the hunting of that type of game in the state
park, or in the portion of the state park, and, except as provided in
s. 29.063 (5), if the person holds the approvals required under this
chapter for hunting that type of game.
History: 1989 a. 214; 1997 a. 237; 1997 a. 248 s. 599; Stats. 1997 s. 29.089; 2001
a. 109; 2005 a. 286.
Cross Reference: See also ss. NR 10.001 and 10.28, Wis. adm. code.

Emphasis added.