• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disarmed today at Five Guys in Charlotte

smlawrence

It would be great if a pro-gun organization would rent some bill-board space in various counties to inform the public (and law enforcement) regarding the carry laws.
I can see it now - a plain looking person wearing a holstered handgun and the words "Relax, this is legal in North Carolina" printed alongside.

I would love to see that on every highway I drive on!!!

JoeSparky

Centurion
Part of Restoguys comment " I can see it now - a plain looking person wearing a holstered handgun and the words "Relax, this is legal in North Carolina" printed alongside.

I would love to see that on every highway I drive on!!!
You have to have the first part for this to make any sense!

I would really wonder WHY I was seeing this billboard as described on every highway that I drive... BUT I've NEVER DRIVEN IN North Carolina....

I admit it... I was going for some humor here!

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
HankT said:
What was the nature of the incident and where did it take place?

What exactly did the cop say about who called?
Someone was shot and car jacked 2 days earlier!!

Some 1 flagged him down in front of five Guys!
Clearly not a reason for the cop to do what he did to you.

I hope your complaint will get him edumacated.

r1dramma

It would be great if a pro-gun organization would rent some bill-board space in various counties to inform the public (and law enforcement) regarding the carry laws.
I can see it now - a plain looking person wearing a holstered handgun and the words "Relax, this is legal in North Carolina" printed alongside.

Maybe we should all chip in and rent one, one right in front of the CMPD HQ!!!!

Funny thing is that I just played the recording and I didnt realize that the leo said that he understood that my gun was a very good gun, yeah was he really concerned about his safety or did he just want to play with my FNH 5.7 Hmmm!

Last edited:

Dreamer

My prediction is that, unfortunately, we're going to see a LOT more of these types of incidents in Charlotte, and Mecklenberg County in general.

Charlotte is the headquarters of several major banks, and THOSE folks are the sort of folks that definitely DON'T want guns in the hands of the "wrong kinds of people". And in their minds, the "wrong kinds of people" are anyone who actually WORKS for a living.

Considering the fact that the Federal Reserve just got another $1/2 TRILLION lottery ticket from the Treasury (to hand out to their bankster cronies like bailout candy) several of whom are in Charlotte), it's no wonder the "powers that be" in Charlotte are getting antsy about the idea of law-abiding citizens being openly armed...

Dreamer

But lately I've been thinking that I really should get my CHP even though I've never had any problems with OC. Most of my handguns are large frame and wouldn't be too comfortable IWB during the summer.

I'm 5'11", and weigh about 180. I'm pretty lanky, and I can successfully and discretely carry a full-sized Para Ordnance double-stack 1911 concealed. Get a good holster, some slightly oversized pants, and a few loud, loose shirts...

CC isn't as difficult as you think. And with the weather getting chilly for the next 4 months or so, you'll have plenty of time to practice before next summer.

Plus it makes carrying while in your vehicle and interstate travel a LOT simpler...

Last edited:

hotrod08

I was sitting down waiting for my order at Five Guys when a Charlotte police officer walks in goes to the counter and after a few minutes walks over to me and tells me he is going to disarm me, and that I was under investigation for being a suspicious person with a gun and due to an incident that took place two days ago was his justification of why he was disarming me. The police officer implied that someone called them from five guys. The manager at five guys told me that none of his employees had called the police, and that he was use to seeing me OC'ing there all the time. The police officer told me that I could file a complaint with I.A. or whomever. Since I was not driving I asked him if he was aware that NC is not a stop and ID state, and I got no answer. So he ran my gun's serial number and drivers licence. So the question is was I profiled, because someone was shot two days earlier?

Which five guys was you at?

swinokur

Activist Member
I believe the wording in Terry vs Ohio was that the requirement for a detainment or "seizure" along with a pat down for weapons was a "reasonable artculable suspicion" that a crime was afoot. Since the officer disarmed you I must assume that you were being detained.

What part of standing in a 5 guys waiting for a hamburger constitutes RAS of a crime? Like others have said, this crap will continue until cities start paying out large sums of money for their officers illegal detainments. I would definitely file a complaint at a minimum. That doesn't cost anything

r1dramma

I believe the wording in Terry vs Ohio was that the requirement for a detainment or "seizure" along with a pat down for weapons was a "reasonable artculable suspicion" that a crime was afoot. Since the officer disarmed you I must assume that you were being detained.

What part of standing in a 5 guys waiting for a hamburger constitutes RAS of a crime? Like others have said, this crap will continue until cities start paying out large sums of money for their officers illegal detainments. I would definitely file a complaint at a minimum. That doesn't cost anything

Already have I'm waiting for the leo's comments which are being mailed to me!

r1dramma

Ok I was just wondering where the Car jacking was, Thanks.

I have ate at 5guys in Charlotte one time (Before I started carrying) I think thats the one I went too.

The manager of five told me that the car jacking was across the st at bbq place,
But apparently sitting down at a restaurant while ocing is considered acting suspiciously by the charmeck pd!

mrjam2jab

I don't think we'll ever have any problems here in ENC, but other areas of the state might not be so kind to OC. Also, I've never heard a story of someone with a CHP getting harassed by a LEO in NC. But the point of OC in NC is that it doesn't require a CHP. Every LEO that comes through my line at work, I ask them about OC and they all say that they wouldn't even ask questions and that they have better things to do, etc.

That's what I was thinking....CHP isn't needed for OC....so don't legally have to supply one if asked in this situation.

M

mattwestm

Aren't the 5.7mm rounds that can be imported into the USA downloaded and aren't true 5.7mm armor piercing rounds? Similar to the ban of steel core 7.62x39 ammo.

r1dramma

Aren't the 5.7mm rounds that can be imported into the USA downloaded and aren't true 5.7mm armor piercing rounds? Similar to the ban of steel core 7.62x39 ammo.

AP rounds are a big no no! The other stuff is kinda weak but can still do damage, but there is a nice little outfit by the name of Elite Ammunition which sells some pretty good stuff! That's what I carry in mine!

kwikrnu

Banned
AP rounds are a big no no!

FN regulates the sale of their AP ammo to LEO only. It is legal own, use, buy, or sell AP ammo in most States. The Federal Government only regulates the import, manufacture, and selling of it by dealers. This is why steel core 7.62x39 is still bought and sold daily between private citizens.

r1dramma

FN regulates the sale of their AP ammo to LEO only. It is legal own, use, buy, or sell AP ammo in most States. The Federal Government only regulates the import, manufacture, and selling of it by dealers. This is why steel core 7.62x39 is still bought and sold daily between private citizens.

Well I stand corrected sir thank you!!