• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotting a hidden gun

tannerwaterbury

Yea I've noticed that since I have been CCing, that I tend to walk a bit differently AND have to constantly adjust my holster. Of course, since I own a Hi Point, I am guessing this is not uncommon for that type of gun.

amlevin

A lot of this is "dated" and doesn't always work today due to preference for semi-autos vs revolvers. The "Unbalanced walk" is not usually as noticeable if someone is carrying an equal load on the other side such as a double mag carrier. Same for clothing fit. Semi's are slimmer than revolvers.

The best way is to assume EVERYONE is carrying a firearm and act accordingly.

amzbrady

A lot of this is "dated" and doesn't always work today due to preference for semi-autos vs revolvers. The "Unbalanced walk" is not usually as noticeable if someone is carrying an equal load on the other side such as a double mag carrier. Same for clothing fit. Semi's are slimmer than revolvers.

The best way is to assume EVERYONE is carrying a firearm and act accordingly.

Wouldnt it be great if that was a FACT.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Remember to look for/notice the tacticool rigger/instructor's belt.

I wear one occasionally, but I am OCing 24/7 except in church where I CC.

The hoody sweatshirt with one pocket sagging badly with extra weight might be a clue too - especially with a frequent hand check.

Very baggy jeans worn high and tight (to retain a holsterless handgun) can provide visual clues.

Thought I saw a holster in church recently - turned out to be a very long and large cell phone case of nice leather.

Last edited:

amlevin

LOL ironic, isn't it, how some gun people are so anti-oc and then they were all the 5.11 tactical gear that practically screams "I HAVE A GUN!" to anyone paying attention?

Either that or:

I am Journalist!

I am a Photographer!

I am a Fisherman!

I'm just wearing my old "Army Clothes" 'cause they're comfy'!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL ironic, isn't it, how some gun people are so anti-oc and then they were all the 5.11 tactical gear that practically screams "I HAVE A GUN!" to anyone paying attention?

Either that or:

I am Journalist!

I am a Photographer!

I am a Fisherman!

I'm just wearing my old "Army Clothes" 'cause they're comfy'!

Can we forget the possible basement dwelling ninja out satisfying the need for a burger fix? They scare me the most. Not really. :lol:

Beretta92FSLady

When I wear 511 pants I figure it screaming that I am armed comes with the pants. I have seen people wearing camo pants and a hunting vest while sitting at the coffee shop...ARMED!

amlevin

When I wear 511 pants I figure it screaming that I am armed comes with the pants. I have seen people wearing camo pants and a hunting vest while sitting at the coffee shop...ARMED!

I am of the opinion that "Clothing" doesn't say anything. A lady's tank top or short skirt don't scream "Hooker" do they?

I've seen a lot more people just wearing plain jeans, slacks, golf shirts, flannel shirts, and even suits, carrying guns than I have wearing any 5.11 gear.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You can't CC this

Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum.

Might walk funny if you tried to CC that. :uhoh:
Where is Peter Nap when you want him? He would love it, but he only OCshttp://www.vincelewis.net/donations.html.

http://www.vincelewis.net/donations.html
600revolver.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Might walk funny if you tried to CC that. :uhoh:
Where is Peter Nap when you want him? He would love it, but he only OCs.

600revolver.jpg

That's a small bore compared to the .730 DDR!:p
I guess the NE would be OK for squirrels.

Metalhead47

That's a small bore compared to the .730 DDR!:p
I guess the NE would be OK for squirrels.

Seriously, how would one even shoot something like that? I mean how is it physically possible? I've seen footage of an experienced shooter firing a 500 or 700 NE from a great big (read: heavy) double rifle, and it damn near knocks him on his azz. How the heck do you shoot a pistol in such a caliber without embedding it several inches into your face?? :confused:

amlevin

Seriously, how would one even shoot something like that? I mean how is it physically possible? I've seen footage of an experienced shooter firing a 500 or 700 NE from a great big (read: heavy) double rifle, and it damn near knocks him on his ass. How the heck do you shoot a pistol in such a caliber without embedding it several inches into your face?? :confused:

You keep your arms extended so the recoil carries it up and over your head. But then you run the risk of momentum then shoving it up your a**.