• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bulletproof glass and metal detectors in al DPD precincts

detroit_fan

Plenty is sure to change in Detroit after a gunman walked into a police precinct on the northwest side yesterday and shot four officers before he was killed by return fire. Already, Mayor Dave Bing is talking about bulletproof glass and metal detectors in all precincts along with heightened caution and awareness inside police stations.

Jan. 24, WJR-AM 760: "That is what we're going to do. There are a lot of suburban areas that have already done that. So we're behind the 8-ball at this point trying to focus on community policing, trying to make sure there's access from our citizens with the police department, and now an incident like this happens and it starts to put up a barrier and separate us even more. But I think we have a responsibility to protect our public safety officers at all cost."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2011/01/shooting_at_detroit_police_pre.html#postComment

Last edited:

MKEgal

They're afraid of the citizens they're supposed to (collectively) protect?
You mean, the police don't prevent crime?
And why should the PD have better protection than, say, the library (all those unarmed, defenseless children, you know)?

It's sad that this happened, and sad that nobody could stop him before he injured those officers.
But once again, this is a criminal we're talking about.
Why make life harder for citizens just because of him?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
So even with the additional security measures, could a citizen legally carrying a firearm enter the precinct? I assume they could. As long as it is legal to carry a firearm in a precinct, and the DPD does not try to prohibit law-abiding carry, I don't have a problem with the added security.

NHCGRPR45

So even with the additional security measures, could a citizen legally carrying a firearm enter the precinct? I assume they could. As long as it is legal to carry a firearm in a precinct, and the DPD does not try to prohibit law-abiding carry, I don't have a problem with the added security.

Since no laws have changed then yes you could carry there, however I see them turning anyone who is armed away probably rudely. Especially with metal detectors which I assume will be guarded by police officers.

It goes to show you really can't be 100% "safe" anywhere. I am certain those officers felt nearly 100% safe. Until the gunfire started. I am thankful no officers were killed, and I hope they all have speedy recoveries.

kryptonian

they don't need all that protection - they have a no weapons sign on the door. that should stop any armed attack right?

stainless1911

Banned

Wouldn't they try to claim that anywhere past a checkpoint with a metal detector would now be considered a secure area?

MK

If people think the city police have it bad at their workplace, think about all the other poor schmucks amongst us who have to work in gun free workplaces. At least the police have an army of armed and ready people inside their building. If that shooter would have went into a host of other places, just think of the bloodbath that could have ensued.

Bronson

In order to get around pre-emption the state would have to introduce into legislation a law that gives local PDs the ability to set rules of conduct & safety (or somesuch thing) for all people entering the PD.......correct?

Because if the state did that it would satisfy the last line of 123.1102.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

If a law like that comes up for vote I seriously think it would pass. Anybody who voted against it would be labeled a "cop hater."

Bronson

Onnie

Wouldn't they try to claim that anywhere past a checkpoint with a metal detector would now be considered a secure area?

I think you hit the nail right on the head, I believe that is just what they will try to do.
from the pics I seen on the news, it looks like a bad design of the desk for maximum view of the door and windows.

nonameisgood

Why aren't we hearing an outcry for the police to do more to clear crimes, arrest criminals, and improve public relations by improving professionalism and how they treat people? If they aren't safe, neither are the rest of us.

And what about the donut shops? Will they get increased security in the form of barriers and detectors? Obviously the presence of several officers increases risk, not safety.