• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun near ODU

USNA69

From the Thursday, 22 Nov Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:

STUDENT AT ODU REPORTS SEXUAL ASSAULT NEAR CAMPUS NORFOLK | An Old Dominion University student was sexually assaulted in her off-campus residence early Wednesday by an unknown man wearing a mask, police said.

The assault happened at 4:30 a.m. in the 1500 block of W. 41st St. The woman told police she was home alone. She described the attacker as black, about 6 feet tall, 150 pounds and wearing a black mask. Police asked that anyone with information call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP(562-5887). The area, just off campus, has been a focus of police efforts since the June 10, 2011, shooting death of ODU student Christopher Cummings on West 42nd Street. The homicide remains unsolved. In the past month, the area around the 1500 block of W. 41st St. did not have any assaults but had larcenies, vandalisms and a breaking-and-entering in the 1300 block of W. 42nd St., according to a PilotOnline.com database of Norfolk crime statistics.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I tried to not walk around there by myself, but everybody else was scared so I ended up having to.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

I just got this in my email.

"Norfolk Police are investigating a robbery, which was reported to have occurred off campus on Dec. 2, 2012 at approximately 1:35 a.m. on 42nd Street near Elkhorn Avenue.

Four non Old Dominion related individuals stated they were walking along 42nd Street when they were approached by a group of five males, one of which had a handgun. The suspects took personal property from the four and then fled on foot towards Hampton Blvd.

The suspect description is limited at this time to the following:

Suspect 1- approximately 5'7" last seen wearing a black hoodie, black pants and had a chinstrap style beard, black male, armed with a black handgun.

Additional suspects are only described as black males at this time.

Old Dominion Police have increased patrols in the area and are encouraging individuals to follow common safety practices.

Walk with a purpose and choose sidewalks that are well lit or heavily populated.
Drink alcohol in moderation and remain aware of your surroundings.
Avoid carrying large sums of cash and keep your valuables concealed.

Anyone with information about this crime is encouraged to contact the Norfolk Police crime line at 757-562-5887 or Old Dominion University Police at 757-683-4000."