• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NoVa OC Picnic - June 8, 2013 - Fountainhead Regional Park - 11AM

grylnsmn

As discussed in this thread, we are planning a OC picnic for June 8 at Fountainhead Regional Park. Let's aim for 11am to start. Ending time will be when the last of us leaves.

user has offered to reserve the picnic area for us. He will accept donations to help defray the $130 reservation fee.

We should need the following supplies:

Paper plates - Defrock/user
Utensils - Defrock/user
Napkins - Defrock/user
Charcoal/Lighter - user
Hamburgers - grylnsmn
Hot Dogs - Tess
Hamburger Buns - grylnsmn
Hot Dog Buns - grylnsmn
Condiments - grylnsmn
Drinks (Water/Soda) - bob888
Ice - bob888
Chips/Dip - vtloki
Sides (please specify)
Potato Salad - Tess
Deviled Eggs - Defrock
Beans (two varieties) - user
Dessert - SteelerGal (arriving after 6)
Other (please specify)

I will edit individual names in as people post what they can bring.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Repeating what I'd said on the now-retired thread:

THE pic-nic shelter at Fountainhead Regional Park has been secured for our use, all day, Saturday, June 8, from nine o'clock a.m. to sunset. Capacity limited to fifty people; parking for 164 vehicles plus 6 handicapped.

Here's a description of THE pic-nic shelter, including park rules:http://www.nvrpa.org/park/fountainhead/content/shelter_rental

see also: http://rs.nvrpa.org/shelter_details.php?shelter_id=27

Btw, I'm not keeping track of how many people are coming, what they're bringing, or any of that other administrative stuff.

Common food sensitivities ought to be considered: please label anything containing any of the following non-exclusive list of ingredients: dairy, wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, peanuts, soybeans, quinoa, tree-nuts, meat (not really a food allergy thing, but there may be a vegetarian or two among us), or derivatives thereof. Without labels, there will be people unable to eat anything because of uncertainty, and watch out for cross-contamination. To a person with a food allergy, getting a single corn chip (for example) lost in the bag of potato chips means the entire bag of potato chips has become potentially deadly, even after the corn chip has been removed.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
grylsnmn - it's on you, I guess, since you can edit the initial post, to keep the tally of who's bringing what.

We'll bring hot dogs and potato salad. Not 20 bowls of, just potato salad.

Defrock

Does anyone know how far of a walk it is from the Picnic Shelter to the fishing area? My kids would love to go fishing and it would help to convince my wife to give up a pool day to go this event if there are fun things for the kiddos.

grylnsmn

grylsnmn - it's on you, I guess, since you can edit the initial post, to keep the tally of who's bringing what.

We'll bring hot dogs and potato salad. Not 20 bowls of, just potato salad.

One extra reminder: If you bring a dish that requires serving utensils, try to bring the necessary utensils as well.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Does anyone know how far of a walk it is from the Picnic Shelter to the fishing area? My kids would love to go fishing and it would help to convince my wife to give up a pool day to go this event if there are fun things for the kiddos.

Information is available by clicking the links in my earlier post: as to this specific question, the page says that the water is two hundred and sixty feet away. I was thinking I'd be down there at about five to see if I can teach some worms how to swim.

Defrock

Information is available by clicking the links in my earlier post: as to this specific question, the page says that the water is two hundred and sixty feet away. I was thinking I'd be down there at about five to see if I can teach some worms how to swim.

Thanks, User. I had only clicked on the first link and looked around from there. I found a map, but it did not have legend that gave measurements.

Also, the second link indicates that a water supply is 260' away, but the lake is 2400' away. 1/2 mile isn't far at all though. I'll talk to my wife tonight and if we can go I'll definitely be giving free swimming lessons to the worms! :monkey

JohnM15A

Foutain Head Regional Park Pictures

Today I was tooling around and decided to visit the park:

Mr. Potato Head
2013-05-15_11-12-08_563.jpg

2013-05-15_11-09-52_399.jpg

2013-05-15_11-09-45_805.jpg

2013-05-15_11-08-50_148.jpg

2013-05-15_11-08-30_805.jpg

2013-05-15_11-08-14_875.jpg

Miniture Golf Course
2013-05-15_11-07-19_266.jpg

Restrooms
2013-05-15_11-06-06_639.jpg

Picnic Shelter
2013-05-15_11-03-17_850.jpg

Grill is a bit tipsy and very rusted underneath
2013-05-15_11-02-55_757.jpg

JohnM15A

Reservations

I would recommend making the reservation soon as there is only one shelter and I didn't see and other place for a group...

user

Accomplished Advocate
user said he already did it.

Yup, got confirmation - and they rescinded the extra thirty bucks "non-jurisdiction" fee, on account of I told 'em most of y'all are residents of Fairfax Co., probably with a smattering of Fairfax, Falls Church, Alexandria, Arlington, etc. residents. They were very nice about it. Btw, the confirmation identifier for the event is "open carry picnic". So if you're not sure you can find the one shelter they've got, you can ask at the gate for the "open carry picnic".

Defrock

I plan on attending and will bring some deviled eggs made from own backyard chicken's eggs (FRESH!) along with plates, utensils, and napkins.

bob888

...Btw, the confirmation identifier for the event is "open carry picnic". So if you're not sure you can find the one shelter they've got, you can ask at the gate for the "open carry picnic".

Well then, since it's an "open carry picnic", I have a splendid idea: I'll bring a large 55 gallon plastic tub filled with ice. Along with a few cases of water and soda.

And I'll "open carry" those items with me, how's that sound to y'all?? :)

user

Accomplished Advocate
Well then, since it's an "open carry picnic", I have a splendid idea: I'll bring a large 55 gallon plastic tub filled with ice. Along with a few cases of water and soda.

And I'll "open carry" those items with me, how's that sound to y'all?? :)

yeah, I'd like to see what you look like trying to conceal that tub.