• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry

john118242

the other day i got denied my CCW because of my age i am 17 will be 18 in days and i have done months of research and talked to many people including new hampshire resident police a ATf agent and a gun dealer in new hampshire and all said there is no minimum age for a permit so i applied and the chief said there was . what do i do? appeal?

Motofixxer

Double check the statutes for possession of a firearm. I don't think it's legal anywhere to own a gun under 18. What can you do??? Wait, by the time an appeal happens...your of age. So just gotta wait I think.

Jay

Federal Law

Most federal laws regulating firearms are included in Title 18 of the U.S. Code -- the Gun Control Act (GCA, 1968) as amended by various subsequent laws, including the Firearms Owners` Protection Act (1986), the Youth Handgun Safety Act (1994), the Gun-Free School Zones Act (1996) and other laws. Details on federal firearm laws are available from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. (www.atf.treas.gov)

"A person under age 18 may not possess a handgun or handgun ammunition, and it is illegal for a person to provide a handgun or handgun ammunition to a person under age 18, except for target shooting, hunting, or certain other exempted purposes. (Youth Handgun Safety Act, 1994)"

There is no state law on possession therefore once you are "18" you satisfy the federal law...go get your license.

Side note you will not be able to purchase a handgun from an FFL (aka: Firearms Dealer until 21) however you can purchase privately at age 18.

doobie

Find lawyer and sue. If you were denied, I believe that denial will live with your for your entire life. Anytime you apply for a license (or permit in backward states), you'll have to say "Yes" when asked if you were ever denied a permit.

Now this is of course unless the chief saw it and just said, "too young." If you are 18 in a few days reapply then, but I believe you have 30 days to file a lawsuit for the denial.

Also, if you win the lawsuit all court and lawyer costs are courtesy of your town's tax payers (aka the police department pays).

nhsig220

Find lawyer and sue. If you were denied, I believe that denial will live with your for your entire life. Anytime you apply for a license (or permit in backward states), you'll have to say "Yes" when asked if you were ever denied a permit.

Now this is of course unless the chief saw it and just said, "too young." If you are 18 in a few days reapply then, but I believe you have 30 days to file a lawsuit for the denial.

Also, if you win the lawsuit all court and lawyer costs are courtesy of your town's tax payers (aka the police department pays).

On what grounds? Him being a dumbass and not waiting days until he was 18 before submitting his application? Ignorance of the law is NO excuse and certainly not grounds for a lawsuit.

Let's keep crap like this in Mass where it belongs.

Gunslinger

Sue for what? He was too young--under state because of/and Federal law, end of discussion.

Last edited:

john118242

Sue for what? He was too young--under state because of/and Federal law, end of discussion.

it was because of federal law not state under state law there is nothing i studied i wasint ignorant i did research as i said ahead and all that . i reapplied waiting for a response until then i will open carry simple. i love the once in a while rude people not you gunslinger the guy who said i was ignorant

nhsig220

it was because of federal law not state under state law there is nothing i studied i wasint ignorant i did research as i said ahead and all that . i reapplied waiting for a response until then i will open carry simple. i love the once in a while rude people not you gunslinger the guy who said i was ignorant

Well John, if the shoe fits.......

NewHampshireNative

how was i being ignorant if i did my homework and study?

Because you applied for a permit knowing you are not at the legal age limit to even own a firearm let alone apply for a permit to carry. Not attacking you here but it seems when you come onto the forums you come in waves and decide to spam the forum with five to six new posts.

john118242

Because you applied for a permit knowing you are not at the legal age limit to even own a firearm let alone apply for a permit to carry. Not attacking you here but it seems when you come onto the forums you come in waves and decide to spam the forum with five to six new posts.

true about the age thing but i was told i could carry at the range with a parent which was part of my reasoning for applying . i come on not ofton so when i do come on i got questions so i ask not trying to annoy anyone with alot of posts.

Gunslinger

I said "under state law 'because' of Federal law." Having lived in NH for 16 years and had a CCW the whole time, I'm pretty much up to speed on the state requirements. However, even though NH has no age restriction, per se, it must follow Federal Law which prohibits under 18. Get it once you're old enough and if you ever have to answer the question "ever refused," simply state it was because you were underage when you applied. It won't be held against you. Carry safely and good luck! You're not a "dumbass" or "ignorant." You were just lacking information.

NewHampshireNative

true about the age thing but i was told i could carry at the range with a parent which was part of my reasoning for applying . i come on not ofton so when i do come on i got questions so i ask not trying to annoy anyone with alot of posts.

Again not sure the reasoning behind applying for a permit? You say you applied for it because you had been told you could carry at the range with a parent or guardian? So why apply for a CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT? If you knew full well that you had been told you could only carry at a range under the above said conditions? It's just not adding up each one of your posts contradicts the next post and any valid points in the post are voided with a new post.
If your only a few months away from turning 18 like you say then just wait it out and apply when by law you can. Don't keep applying for the permit you will only keep getting denied! You said that you had reapplied for the permit after it was denied? All I have to say is WHY? At this point you have already made more work for your self when the time comes ( at age 18) to apply for your permit. Now instead of just filling out the application and dropping/sending it in you now have to explain why you have been denied a permit before.

john118242

I said "under state law 'because' of Federal law." Having lived in NH for 16 years and had a CCW the whole time, I'm pretty much up to speed on the state requirements. However, even though NH has no age restriction, per se, it must follow Federal Law which prohibits under 18. Get it once you're old enough and if you ever have to answer the question "ever refused," simply state it was because you were underage when you applied. It won't be held against you. Carry safely and good luck! You're not a "dumbass" or "ignorant." You were just lacking information.

o ok thanks for the info i reapplied and i am waiting its been 9 days so 5 more to go :)

john118242

Again not sure the reasoning behind applying for a permit? You say you applied for it because you had been told you could carry at the range with a parent or guardian? So why apply for a CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMIT? If you knew full well that you had been told you could only carry at a range under the above said conditions? It's just not adding up each one of your posts contradicts the next post and any valid points in the post are voided with a new post.
If your only a few months away from turning 18 like you say then just wait it out and apply when by law you can. Don't keep applying for the permit you will only keep getting denied! You said that you had reapplied for the permit after it was denied? All I have to say is WHY? At this point you have already made more work for your self when the time comes ( at age 18) to apply for your permit. Now instead of just filling out the application and dropping/sending it in you now have to explain why you have been denied a permit before.

my posts are always confusing lol sorry . my first one was denied after that i applied 5 days before my 18th birthday which i am 18 now and the chief suggested doing so . so now i am waiting for the approval . so i only have applied twice one denial .