• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was the MWAG in Walmart!!!

manicdevery

So I have carried into Walmart more times than I can count, all the late night cashiers know me and know that I am one of the good guys. Stopped and talked to a couple employees that had questions about OC and went on my shopping way like many other Walmart nights. Then it happened, a Genesee county officer came down my lane, I knew him so it was more of a casual talk than a stop, he did ask to see my cpl which I technically had to disclose since I had my BUG, he asked me to conceal to prevent further problems, he said something to the effect of it was going to keep happening to which I said I had been doing this for years and this was the first LEO encounter I had ever had in Walmart. when walking to the checkout me and my woman noticed the Leo talking to 3 other officers, another one who I knew as well.

My favorite lady cashier was working and waved me over to her lane, she whispered to me "did you know they are here for you, if they would have asked I would have let know you're not a threat?! then all the employees that know me came out of the woodwork to talk about the MWAG!!!! LOL

Wish I would have had my recorder but I went over a year without any sort of negative interaction I never thought I would get to use it. Lesson learned

Devery

Haman J.T.

Conceal so they don't have to do their job?The citizens continue to need education on OC and I think LEO's should educate them so they can do more important things with their time.Problem solved!Get on it LEA's!

malignity

This is one of the reasons I've considered not carrying a concealed BUG. I don't want to be obligated to provide information because of it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was just wondering because I thought walmart had a "whatever is legal in the state" type policy. I wonder if that changed that policy?

Problem is that any manager can make a determination at that time and place, even ask you to leave -he/she is in charge. The manager could be subject to any level of punishment after the fact, if they truly violated a policy, but you will never win that argument at that time.

Zhukov

And that's why I love Idaho. I haven't had a single issue and I've carried openly every time I've taken a trip to Walmart since July 2010. (that's a LOT of trips, trust me)

However, while the store policy is what "state's allow", if you are creating a big disturbance, they do reserve the right to ask you to leave.

If they do ask you to leave, ask for a manager, if that manager does so also get their information and ask for information on the regional manager. Usually the regional manager is the one that will slap someone else down for causing a stink, at least that's what happened here with a few rare trainees who didn't seem to realize they moved to a free state.

ken243

I knew him so it was more of a casual talk than a stop..... another one who I knew as well.

Just wondering who was it? I also know many of the GCSD dep. from working with them. Also, my home town is Clio. Guessing this was the Clio Walmart? Many of the GCSD Medics I have talked with and asked about any interactions with OCer's. None have had any "bad" encounters. But a few say "you are just going to get hassled". Still kinda wondering why GC911 just didn't tell the caller its legal.

SlowDog

Why I carry a "bug"....hmmm. Tried to start my pickup last week when I got home and it wouldn't start. It is after all a machine and machines do let us down occasionally. I have yet to date had a problem from any guns I carry but on that frightful day I need to pull it and it goes "CLICK" well, that is the loudest sound you'll ever hear. And not having a "bug" it could be the last sound you hear.....just saying

kryptonian

can you return there OC??? that wasn't in the story that i saw. did anybody from walmart management say anything or just the deputy?

Hockey9019

Just wondering who was it? I also know many of the GCSD dep. from working with them. Also, my home town is Clio. Guessing this was the Clio Walmart? Many of the GCSD Medics I have talked with and asked about any interactions with OCer's. None have had any "bad" encounters. But a few say "you are just going to get hassled". Still kinda wondering why GC911 just didn't tell the caller its legal.

You don't know anyone :D

can you return there OC??? that wasn't in the story that i saw. did anybody from walmart management say anything or just the deputy?

I've OC at the Clio Walmart MANY times. Day and middle of the night. NEVER no problems. I'm going to guess it was just a very isolated incident

manicdevery

They did not ask me to leave, only LEO talked to me. He said I was scaring everybody, he said jokingly, he was real cool about everything, since he asked if I was carrying a gun I didn't "immediately disclose" I was carrying my BUG, he asked to see my cpl so I showed him. After telling him this was my first instance in two years I think he got that I had no intention of concealing he left saying. "Well, you know the law..." I will OC there until asked to otherwise by management. And again, EVERYONE that works at Walmart knows me, so if buying shampoo and face wash is a suspicious activity and reason for law enforcement to be present I guess I have some more educating to do.

I will respond a little more later. Have to get to work.

Devery

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Problem is that any manager can make a determination at that time and place, even ask you to leave -he/she is in charge. The manager could be subject to any level of punishment after the fact, if they truly violated a policy, but you will never win that argument at that time.

I have been told by the store manager, regional manager, and a person at corporate that I may not carry a firearm in my local Walmart. I contacted everyone I could think of but at this point, I think that they are THE WORST PLACE when it comes to firearms as they operate under a general policy of dishonesty. Also, they are the ONLY corporate partner of "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" see http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/partnership/partnership.shtml