• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB93: police harrassment penalties?

wild boar

The semantics involved...

Did anyone notice if the penalties for LEO harassment of legal carriers was still in the new bill?

...with the word "harassment" are so objective, who knows.:banghead:

Last edited:
M

McX

it would be positive to me if the penalties were assessed directly against the cop, not the tax paying citizens, and not require being dragged through a court to get justice. also, i'd like to see some real penalties, not just "baliff........whack his pee-pee.'

MKEgal

Heck, if they'd even do that much it'd be an improvement!
Esp. if we could get justice without the expense of a lawyer & hassle of court.

And I think the way the bill is (was?) written, if carriers are treated differently from sheep then it's an infraction.
So carry those recorders, boys & girls, then do FOIA requests to see how other people in similar situations have been treated.
Betcha they didn't get hauled out of their car at gunpoint by 6 cops for running a stop sign.

Last edited:
M

McX

Heck, if they'd even do that much it'd be an improvement!
Esp. if we could get justice without the expense of a lawyer & hassle of court.

And I think the way the bill is (was?) written, if carriers are treated differently from sheep then it's an infraction.
So carry those recorders, boys & girls, then do FOIA requests to see how other people in similar situations have been treated.
Betcha they didn't get hauled out of their car at gunpoint by 6 cops for running a stop sign.

or eating dinner at Culvers, in Madison.

Da Po-lock

Yes

(17) PENALTIES
(ar) Any law enforcement officer who uses excessive force based solely on an individual's status as a licensee may be fined not ore than $500 or sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not more than 30 days or both. The application of the criminal penalty under this paragraph does not preclude the application of any other civil or criminal remedy.

The KEY words here are
excessive force
This does'nt mean you still will not be "asked friendly questions" OR cited for disorderly conduct OR anything worse.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

(17) PENALTIES
(ar) Any law enforcement officer who uses excessive force based solely on an individual's status as a licensee may be fined not ore than $500 or sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not more than 30 days or both. The application of the criminal penalty under this paragraph does not preclude the application of any other civil or criminal remedy.

The KEY words here are
excessive force
This does'nt mean you still will not be "asked friendly questions" OR cited for disorderly conduct OR anything worse.

66.0409 (6) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or
malicious intent on the part of the person apply, no person may be in violation of, or
be charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political subdivision relating to
disorderly conduct or other inappropriate behavior for loading, carrying, or going
armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed
or openly carried. Any ordinance in violation of this subsection does not apply and
may not be enforced.

Not Disordelry Conduct, But they can use execessve force against a lawful Open Carrier without a license.