• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of State CCW

Para1911

Just to clarify, you will be able to carry in WI if you have an out of State CCW from let say FL. Is that correct?

ksks

Not if you are a WI resident. You must have a WI license.

Last edited:

Teej

Just to confirm what ksks said...

If you're a WI resident with a FL permit, you can send a photocopy of the FL permit with your application as confirmation of training...but WI *WILL NOT* recognize an out of state permit from a WI resident.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Well since the DOJ haven't released any lists or real details yet, nobody knows. But This List should recognize the WI permit, so theoretically WI will honors theirs.
I think we can cross NM off of that list; they have a more stringent training requirement than Wisconsin. In fact, NM took Utah off their reciprocity list for the same reason. :cuss:

ksks

Just to confirm what ksks said...

If you're a WI resident with a FL permit, you can send a photocopy of the FL permit with your application as confirmation of training...but WI *WILL NOT* recognize an out of state permit from a WI resident.

Correct.

jpm84092

It will be interesting to see what happens with MN as MN has a training requirement that includes a live fire qualification shoot. Wi will likely recognize a MN permit, but it will be interesting to see if MN honors a WI permit.

apjonas

Isn't It Interesting?

That an OOSL will satisfy WI's training requirement even if training was not required to get the OOSL in the first place.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Believe There Is A Bit More To That One Dave....

I think we can cross NM off of that list; they have a more stringent training requirement than Wisconsin. In fact, NM took Utah off their reciprocity list for the same reason. :cuss:

IIRC NM stated what you said but in reality NM was losing revenue from it's own residents because they were getting Utah permits. So.....they decided to not honor Utah permits which forced their residents and others who want to travel into NM to get NM permits.

Money matters...especially to governments....and more so to corrupt governments.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
IIRC NM stated what you said but in reality NM was losing revenue from it's own residents because they were getting Utah permits. So.....they decided to not honor Utah permits which forced their residents and others who want to travel into NM to get NM permits.

Money matters...especially to governments....and more so to corrupt governments.
NM Training:
10.8.2.15 FIREARMS TRAINING FOR APPLICANTS AND LICENSEES:
A. Department approved firearms training course.
(1) An applicant seeking a license shall satisfactorily complete an initial firearms training course
approved by the department that includes at least 15 hours of classroom and firing range instruction on the subjects specified in Subsection A of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-7 ....

awnuts

You can freely travel through NM with a gun in your glovebox and you can freely open carry here.You dont need a permit unless you cc outside your car. And as far as I know NM doesnt issue to non residents. Yes NM was losing money because of the cost of the utah being much cheaper.And yes they cancelled it due to lack of requirements.Its still being offered here just to add another range of states for coverage.Just not recognized here.Most of the cc people I know have both. As for the mocking of the 15 hours of classtime, My feeling is if your serious enough to be legal and carry right, Then your serious enough to invest in the responsiblity. Again theres really no need because we are an open carry state and theres just a couple of laws difference between cc and oc. Its just a matter of prefrence.

Captain Nemo

The issue between MN and WI will be interesting. Hopefully the two DoJ's can iron it out. Mn has a requirement for range time. WI does not, but most CC courses include range time as part of the curriculum. Also, those that will use their Hunter's safety certificate as proof of training also had to undergo range time in order to be granted the certificate. Finally any persons using Military small arms qualification for proof of training had extensive range time. It will be interesting to see which wins out; specifics of the laws or reality.

Zeus

NM honors FL CHL's and you don't need range training, just have to have an NRA certified course requirement.

jpm84092

i dont know, but if you get to carry in this state before the residents do, no one will like you.

I expect that WI will honor one or more of my permits, so I will lay low until WI residents have had an ample opportunity to get their permits. I do not want McX to "not like me".