• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Hartford Interview Do/Don'ts

dcmdon

They don't allow phones in either. I also had my belt confiscated.

There are ways if you are determined. I have a recorder that is so small and light it iis unnoticeable in the breast pocket of a dress shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GOPer

Sorry for the delayed update but between the storm, holiday, and life I haven't had the chance.

The interview itself was brief with the assistant chief of police. He flipped through the form and said to use common sense when carrying, I.e. No schools, federal buildings or private residences with signs posted. Also said to not sleep with it under my pillow. Asked if I had any questions and sent me on my way in under 5 minutes.

After that I waited for a detective to take my finger prints. He wasn't the normal detective to handle permit requests and made a comment about 'are these the only forms they gave you?'. To which I told him I got them off the state website. The only thing that concerned me was when I said I should hear back in 8 weeks he said that it might take a bit longer than that but time will tell.

Now that I am just over the 30 day point, should I call and see how the process is progessing? My $50 DPS check was cashed a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Rich B

The only thing that concerned me was when I said I should hear back in 8 weeks he said that it might take a bit longer than that but time will tell.

No permit should take anything close to 8 weeks.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?96274-Permit-application-deadlines

Now that I am just over the 30 day point, should I call and see how the process is progessing?

Call and ask for two dates:

When did the PD submit your fingerprints to the SPBI (State Police Bureau of Identification)?
When was your FBI report received back from the SPBI?

Get those dates. Compare them as follows:

If more than 5 days elapsed from when your application was submitted to when they sent your fingerprints in: Appeal.
If more than 1 week elapsed from when your FBI report was returned to the PD and they have not approved or denied you (or notified you in writing of a delay): Appeal.

GOPer

Thanks for pointers. I do have one followup question...am I calling the state agency or the local PD for these dates and/or status updates? Thanks again.

dcmdon

One other observation upon reading the statute:

If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application.

In other words, if they refuse to give you an application, after 1 week, by law you have submitted a "sufficient application" and thus should appeal.

Don

Rich B

One other observation upon reading the statute:

If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application.

In other words, if they refuse to give you an application, after 1 week, by law you have submitted a "sufficient application" and thus should appeal.

Don

This is true, although I always advise people send their application (obtained through the state) in anyway with their fingerprints and then appeal if the PD does not follow the 5 days/1 week rules.

This allows you to prove that you have 'exhausted administrative remedies'.

GOPer

The Journey is Over

Finally got the call from West Hartford yesterday to pick up my temp permit which I did this morning as well as getting the state permit. This was 64 days after the application was dropped off.

I did call last week to inform the detective of the upcoming deadline as well as the fact that the FBI background check was completed a month prior. That seemed to 'speed' the process up as there was no excuse of an FBI delay. Interestingly enough, when I confirmed with the FBI, they told me the request was received and processed on the same day. While it was 4 days over the limit, I will still count it successful having only submitted the state required documents...so it can be done in West Hartford.

On another note, are there any other stores besides Hoffman's which have a range where one can rent guns before buying? Thanks for the help along the way.

dcmdon

Chris is a great guy. I've been buying guns from him since I was a college student in New Haven in the late 80s.

A group of us will be doing our normal Thursday evening competitive shoot tonight. Come down and introduce yourself. Its rimfire night. If you don't have a .22, don't worry, people are happy to loan out guns. We shoot both pistols and rifles.

I'll be bringing my new CMMG AR in .22 LR. Great gun you are welcome to try.

Don

Tazman2

Just a note for Wolf's. Depending on who's working when you go they might not let you rent guns or even shoot if you just got your permit. They usually like people to have it for one year before shooting there. I 1st hand did not have that issue but have heard it happen to others even a buddy who was a MP and just got his permit they wouldn't let him shoot there! lol

brk913

Just a note for Wolf's. Depending on who's working when you go they might not let you rent guns or even shoot if you just got your permit. They usually like people to have it for one year before shooting there. I 1st hand did not have that issue but have heard it happen to others even a buddy who was a MP and just got his permit they wouldn't let him shoot there! lol

That's not true, you cannot bring a guest who does not have a permit until you have held your permit for one year, other than that they will even let you go down and rent range time and guns while you are waiting for your permit as long as you bring a copy of your completed NRA Class Certificate with you, additionally, they will only accept the certificate for one year from its issue as at that point they feel you should have received your permit and that you possibly applied and were denied. If anyone there tells you otherwise I would get their name and let the owner Ray know about it.

smokeyburnout

tactical arms in torrington also rents guns and has an indoor range. Their range rates are a bit on the higher side but the upside to that is its not very crowded. The 2 times I've gone there I was the only one on the range which was awesome.

KIX

That's not true, you cannot bring a guest who does not have a permit until you have held your permit for one year, other than that they will even let you go down and rent range time and guns while you are waiting for your permit as long as you bring a copy of your completed NRA Class Certificate with you, additionally, they will only accept the certificate for one year from its issue as at that point they feel you should have received your permit and that you possibly applied and were denied. If anyone there tells you otherwise I would get their name and let the owner Ray know about it.

+1..... unless you're on a certain instructors list..... I think one instructor is "banned"..... but I don't recall who.

I was going to rent the classroom a few times, but a certain Brian character has it logged out quite a bit.

;)

Jonathan

brk913

+1..... unless you're on a certain instructors list..... I think one instructor is "banned"..... but I don't recall who.

I was going to rent the classroom a few times, but a certain Brian character has it logged out quite a bit.

;)

Jonathan

I don't recall the instructor's name either but he was banned because a few of his students came in and told the counter people that they had never fired a gun before, not even during the class. I think they were going to report the instructor to DPS for failing to have "live fire" as part of the class...

Yeah, that Brian character has classes there every Saturday that Wolf's does not, he even slips a few Sundays in here and there, shameless plug: www.ctpistolpermit.com .

davidmcbeth

Banned
OLR reports are not binding ... about 50% of them have serious errors .. they are basically pretty much useless to prove a point; sometimes they point out useful information but they are, themselves, useless.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I have run into ranges that require a permit to shoot (I own guns but have no permit) ... I don't shoot there obviously .. but these range owners are clueless on the law. You CAN, without a permit, shoot at the ranges.