• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state OC question

Ezerharden

Hello all,

I am a MI resident with a valid CPL in MI and I am planning a camping trip down in the Wheelersburg area (Oak Hills in the Wayne National Forest), and I was wondering what the environment of OC is in Ohio. I know in my area of MI hardly anyone even bats an eye at it but I want to know if I should anticipate hassles in Ohio.

Thanks for any info.

MyWifeSaidYes

If you come down Rt. 23 to Wheelersburg, you'll pass through Waverly.

We have a trial there on June 8th for an Army vet who was falsely arrested due to his OC'ing.

If you can, stop by. If not, feel free to not spend any money in that city! :D

Ezerharden

Really. Under what circumstances was he arrested? Is there a news article I can read? I will refrain from spending money there either way, being a vet myself I really take offense to that kind of treatment.

ETA: Found the thread and article.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I can't resist....the look on this guy's face......

IMG_4354.jpg

just screams...."OMG! Is that a...a...CAMERA you are carrying in here?!?"
What next????? Voice recorders?????

I think I saw that picture in "U" section of the dictionary......

Ezerharden

Ok my trip to SE Ohio is a week away. Looking for specific info on OC in Toledo and Columbus areas as I have to travel through them. Any major issues to worry about?

MyWifeSaidYes

Sorry, Ez. We seem to have hijacked your thread!

The law enforcement attitude towards open carry varies by individual. Some officers are fine with it, others are not.

Those that are not okay with it have been known to simply lie about it. This false information gets around and is assumed correct by other officers, civilian employees (like some 911 dispatchers), and regular citizens.

From what I can tell in reading several public forums relating to firearms, Cleveland and Cincinnati are frequently intolerant. Columbus and it's immediate suburbs don't seem to show up much in the news.

You've been asking about Toledo since January. Haven't you had a chance to carry down there yet?

Ezerharden

Some in Toledo but only a small area on the NW side of it, not the southern areas that I have to pass through.

MyWifeSaidYes

Are you just passing through Toledo, or are you actually stopping there?

While travelling, you shouldn't have issues. Don't forget to notify if stopped by a LEO. There's no 'open carry' in a car in Ohio (yet). Open carry in a car is treated like concealed carry. Notify the LEO as he approaches your car with a comment like:
"I have a concealed carry license and I am currently armed. What would you like me to do?"

Don't go into anyplace with a gunbuster sign.

If you go into a business and are asked to leave by anybody, leave. If you are asked to take your gun to your car, leave. If you are asked to cover your gun, leave. You can certainly find someplace else that wants your business.

Read through the Duties of a Licensed Individual in the Ohio Revised Code: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

Easily, most of Ohio understands that open carry is legal.

The most common questions I receive is, "Are you a security guard/community patrol/volunteer?"

I reply, "No. I'm just a Legally Armed Citizen." Sometimes they just say, "Oh." and that's the end of it. Sometimes we get into a brief discussion about open carry being legal and me being too fat to comfortably conceal. The self-deprecating humor seems to put them at ease. They may also get my insinuation that I have a CHL but am just not concealing (which is also perfectly legal).

Come on down. Have fun, but don't shoot anyone you don't have to. You should be fine!

Ezerharden

Are you just passing through Toledo, or are you actually stopping there?

While travelling, you shouldn't have issues. Don't forget to notify if stopped by a LEO. There's no 'open carry' in a car in Ohio (yet). Open carry in a car is treated like concealed carry. Notify the LEO as he approaches your car with a comment like:
"I have a concealed carry license and I am currently armed. What would you like me to do?"

Don't go into anyplace with a gunbuster sign.

If you go into a business and are asked to leave by anybody, leave. If you are asked to take your gun to your car, leave. If you are asked to cover your gun, leave. You can certainly find someplace else that wants your business.

Read through the Duties of a Licensed Individual in the Ohio Revised Code: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

Easily, most of Ohio understands that open carry is legal.

The most common questions I receive is, "Are you a security guard/community patrol/volunteer?"

I reply, "No. I'm just a Legally Armed Citizen." Sometimes they just say, "Oh." and that's the end of it. Sometimes we get into a brief discussion about open carry being legal and me being too fat to comfortably conceal. The self-deprecating humor seems to put them at ease. They may also get my insinuation that I have a CHL but am just not concealing (which is also perfectly legal).

Come on down. Have fun, but don't shoot anyone you don't have to. You should be fine!

Mostly just passing through I believe. Good advice on the ORC section, will look it over again. Carry in a vehicle is the same there as it is here in MI so nothing new there. I am also aware of the Criminal Defense Zone signs and trespass law. I just wonder what to expect as I recall that Toledo used to have ordinances that went against the state preemption laws and fought to keep them. I know they lost but old habits are hard to break with some people.

I plan to come down and have a very good time. As I stated before, that part of Ohio is very nice for camping and hiking. As to shooting anyone, I prefer to put my gun away the same way I got it... unfired.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Hey, just noticed the thread here. Wish I had some time before my quick trip to Ohio. Woulda OCed the whole way, but alas I didn't get the chance to check before leaving. (Got called to do a job with 30 minutes to get ready pack and eat. Not the way I wanted to start it out lol.) God bless our second amendment and the states that keep with it. By the way what I got to see of Ohio (My first trip ever to the state.) is beautiful! Like the weather, at least summertime weather. Was more of a dry heat than a humid heat like I am originally used to here in Virginia. Next time I will know I can OC the whole way there lol, I feel I missed out.

MyWifeSaidYes

Law_Abiding_Citizen said:
...Next time I will know I can OC the whole way there lol, I feel I missed out.

As long as you have a license or permit to carry concealed, you can open carry in a car. That makes it nice when you are running errands. You don't have to disarm and unload every time you get back in your car. Less handling means less chance for accidents and MWAG's.

MyWifeSaidYes

Ezerharden said:
I just wonder what to expect as I recall that Toledo used to have ordinances that went against the state preemption laws and fought to keep them. I know they lost but old habits are hard to break with some people.

After Cleveland took preemption (ORC 9.68) all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court and got their butt handed to them, all the major cities quickly fell in line and removed any laws that were non-compliant.

I don't think this has anything to do with the attitudes or lack of education some police officers seem to have.

This past weekend, a forum user on Ohioans For Concealed Carry (a board that supports ALL legal forms of carry) was threatened by a Maumee LEO because he was openly carrying a handgun.

What had the OC'er done wrong? He had stopped to watch firefighters putting out a fire and was about 200 feet back from the taped off area. The OC'er knew his rights and knew the law, and rebuffed the threats made by the cop who got stuck with crowd control.

The LEO walked away saying "I don't have time for this."

:lol:

As to shooting anyone, I prefer to put my gun away the same way I got it... unfired.
While I prefer not to shoot anyone, I much prefer to have fired my gun before I put it away. Maybe a couple boxes of ammo at my backyard range?

Ezerharden

Well back from my trip. No issues. Thanks to those that replied. Wound up going through Waverly and didn't bother to stop to take a leak let alone spend money. :p

chazman321

Stupid question I know, but being as I live in PA and don't yet have my Utah, would I be legal to OC in PA and simply walk across the border? Or would that fall under interstate transport of a firearm? I live close to the border, real close... lol

-Chaz