• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office???

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Maybe I phrased my comment wrong.

I have no objection to Ed - or anybody else - taking action to correct a locality when they do stuff like this. My concern was that because Ed jumped on it right away the OP might get the idea that there will be someone (like Ed) who will address these things, thus making it not necessary for the OP to do anything else than put up the information about what needs correcting.

All that is an off-shoot of the "Call/write VCDL - they'll take care of it" syndrome. Sure, VCDL swings a nog stick and is generally known for knowing the law. But there are only so many folks who everyone else thinks are VCDL - mostly the Prez and Board. It has always been my understanding that VCDL encourages folks to take the initiative in addressing problems and waiting in the wings with support/assistance if the individual effort is not successful.

Ed is to be congratulated for doing what he does in contacting the localities and setting them straight. He earned my undying admiration over that a long time ago.

What we need are more Eds. My comment was intended to suggest he could give some of the rest of us a chance, and step in if there really was a void. I apologize if that thinking stepped on any toes.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe I phrased my comment wrong.

I have no objection to Ed - or anybody else - taking action to correct a locality when they do stuff like this. My concern was that because Ed jumped on it right away the OP might get the idea that there will be someone (like Ed) who will address these things, thus making it not necessary for the OP to do anything else than put up the information about what needs correcting.

All that is an off-shoot of the "Call/write VCDL - they'll take care of it" syndrome. Sure, VCDL swings a nog stick and is generally known for knowing the law. But there are only so many folks who everyone else thinks are VCDL - mostly the Prez and Board. It has always been my understanding that VCDL encourages folks to take the initiative in addressing problems and waiting in the wings with support/assistance if the individual effort is not successful.

Ed is to be congratulated for doing what he does in contacting the localities and setting them straight. He earned my undying admiration over that a long time ago.

What we need are more Eds. My comment was intended to suggest he could give some of the rest of us a chance, and step in if there really was a void. I apologize if that thinking stepped on any toes.

stay safe.

Well Skid...as you know, we have two VCDL people here...(Ed, who is an EM and Grapeshot who is a member of the Board of Directors). Ed is famous for sending cards and Grapeshot's direct involvement is legendary...So even when VCDL isn't officially involved, they are often in the fray anyway.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have everyone in the fight because as we all know, VCDL picks it's fights in strange ways at times.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
We also have the VCDL prez, several EMs that are not quite as frequent in posting as the two you mention, and a host of members.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have everyone in the fight
That's all I'm saying. Somehow the new (to joining the fray) guys need to get experience. Wish there was a simple, easy answer to how.

stay safe.

Mailman

Hi everyone, Ed's email worked. The signs were down this morning when I drove by. Have a great day!!!!

TFred

Interesting question. There is no bigger fan of 15.2-915 than I am. A sheriff is not a locality, but a constitutional officer. Can a sheriff be considered an agent of a locality? Or perhaps it is covered by the third paragraph of Section A:

"The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility."

Would the sheriff's office be considered a Department?

TFred

While the office of the Sheriff is a constitutional office, it is not a state office/agency/dept. It is set out under Article VII, section 4, titled County and city officers. Section 5 sets out county/city governing bodies.

Section 4. County and city officers.

There shall be elected by the qualified voters of each county and city a treasurer, a sheriff, an attorney for the Commonwealth, a clerk, who shall be clerk of the court in the office of which deeds are recorded, and a commissioner of revenue. The duties and compensation of such officers shall be prescribed by general law or special act. ...
Then at some risk of the opposition reading these posts... which part of 15.2-915 covers a Sheriff's office?

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Then at some risk of the opposition reading these posts... which part of 15.2-915 covers a Sheriff's office?

TFred
The Sheriff's office comes under the county or city, and therefore falls under preemption.
15.2-915 a (snip) The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency.

As in Sheriff's Department.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
And I practice what I preach, I carry around the Sheriff and in the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office.
edmike.jpg