• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR22PB review for GTShooter

mobiushky

I forgot to post this over the weekend. I did finally get a chance to take the little Ruger SR22PB out to the range. Had to go to an indoor range due to time constraints. So far I've had about 300 rounds through it. Overall impression: I'm in love. Seriously this pistol is a dream to shoot. The sights were off out of the box so I had to do a little adjusting. It's still a little off for my taste. I want to set it up so the sight picture is as close to the glock as I can so it keeps my aim consistent. I've been shooting remington gold cheapo stuff. I've had one FTF on the last round in a magazine. I think that was just a fluke where the hollow point hung up in the feed ramp. Quick rack the slide it fed fine and shot fine.

To be honest, this little plinker is more accurate than I am. I'm not in to bullseye style accuracy. I prefer to be "combat" accurate. Don't personally try to shoot through a CD hole at 100yds etc. I was shooting at 20 feet. Once I got it dialed in I was more accurate than I expected. I was able to pick off the metal paper clamp from the edge of the board. I ended up shooting at the UPC code and finally the score numbers on the target. If I took my time, I could hit within about a quarter sized area pretty easily.

The gun runs smooth. And it's really light (as you'd expect from a 22). It has a much straighter grip angle than the glock so it takes a second to readjust my hold each time. I hear it's more like a 1911 angle. But I don't shoot a 1911 so I'm not sure how true that is.

In order for it to fit my hand I added the larger grip and the pinky rest on the magazine. It still feels small in my hand, but not ridiculous. My son is 9, he can rack the slide with out any issues, so it's not a tough gun to operate.

Bottom line, get it. If you're in the market for a small .22 plinker but aren't looking to buy a mark III, I'd recommend the Ruger over the Walther. But only slightly. The Walther is still a great little gun. I just like the idea of not having to use faster (ie more expensive) rounds in it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ruger must be an all-round good firearm manufacturer ... I see little or no complaints about the products they produce ... I own one and share the OP's feelings on their firearms ... quality quality quality

O2HeN2

Question: It appears that the safety goes UP to take it off, is that correct?

If so, that's a bummer since the vast majority of firearms are the opposite (and in fact I won't own any that go up to take the safety off for consistency reasons).

I held the gun briefly at the M&G at Franktown Firearms and it felt really, really good but didn't take a good look at the safety at the time.

O2

mobiushky

Question: It appears that the safety goes UP to take it off, is that correct?

If so, that's a bummer since the vast majority of firearms are the opposite (and in fact I won't own any that go up to take the safety off for consistency reasons).

I held the gun briefly at the M&G at Franktown Firearms and it felt really, really good but didn't take a good look at the safety at the time.

O2

That's correct. Safety up to take it off. If you look at the Walther P22, it's the same. So in the realm of this type of pistol, it's consistent. But I can understand the desire to not go opposite of what you're used to. Personally, I prefer no safety but that's me.

Keens

I saw that gun at the M&G at Franktown Firearms too and I love the way it feels in my hand. I was thinking that would be a nice gun to teach my stepson on but I can't afford it right now. I've shot the Walther P22 and the ergonomics are great, but the one I shot was not reliable, lots of FTF and FTE's, more of a problem with the cheap bulk ammo. It does a lot better with CCI. I'd love to shoot the SR22!

Keens

mobiushky

I saw that gun at the M&G at Franktown Firearms too and I love the way it feels in my hand. I was thinking that would be a nice gun to teach my stepson on but I can't afford it right now. I've shot the Walther P22 and the ergonomics are great, but the one I shot was not reliable, lots of FTF and FTE's, more of a problem with the cheap bulk ammo. It does a lot better with CCI. I'd love to shoot the SR22!

Keens

That's main reason I didn't get the Walther or the Sig Mosquito. Both are pretty finicky about ammo and I've read a lot of reviews that say you have to use higher quality ammo to be consistent. I have a friend who has the Sig Mosquito and he hates it. Not because it's bad, he just can't use cheap ammo in it or he gets all kinds of jams.

If we do another range shoot I'll bring it along. I'm headed back today to shoot it again with a buddy who got the same gun.

Keens

That's main reason I didn't get the Walther or the Sig Mosquito. Both are pretty finicky about ammo and I've read a lot of reviews that say you have to use higher quality ammo to be consistent. I have a friend who has the Sig Mosquito and he hates it. Not because it's bad, he just can't use cheap ammo in it or he gets all kinds of jams.

If we do another range shoot I'll bring it along. I'm headed back today to shoot it again with a buddy who got the same gun.

I forgot to mention the Mosquito. I shot about 50 rounds through one and I was not impressed at all. I love shooting .22's, it's cheap and I can go all day for $20 on 550 rounds. But I cannot stand clearing jams all the time. It's gave me enough practice clearing malfunctions that I've gotten quite good at it. I won't own a .22 semi auto that only takes the pricey ammo. $10 for 100 just ruins the point of cheap shooting for me.

mobiushky

I forgot to mention the Mosquito. I shot about 50 rounds through one and I was not impressed at all. I love shooting .22's, it's cheap and I can go all day for $20 on 550 rounds. But I cannot stand clearing jams all the time. It's gave me enough practice clearing malfunctions that I've gotten quite good at it. I won't own a .22 semi auto that only takes the pricey ammo. $10 for 100 just ruins the point of cheap shooting for me.

That's exactly why I got the Ruger. I wanted something cheap to shoot but functions similar to my carry gun so I could teach the kids. We're doing a family shooting day tomorrow. I didn't want a Mark III only because it was too different from my Glock and too expensive. I'm very happy with the Ruger.