• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Old West Style

fighting_for_freedom

Well, since the thread on ocing a Ruger .44 Blackhawk got locked, a little arbitrarily I might add, I'm gonna put this topic up for discussion. I was going to post to that thread, and hopefully add something to the discussion just as it was closed.

So: Who here carries a revolver for OC or whatnot, and what kinda rig do you use? Pics welcome, if available.

I carry an Uberti .45 SA, on a cartridge loop belt, with an 8 inch Bowie on the other hip to balance the weight. If I'm feeling ornery, I'll carry my BP Walker on my right hip, with my BP army .44 on my left, ambidextrous draw. I do carry my 1911, but only when I'm dressed nice and in mixed company.

I do not wish to get into the irritating argument of modern guns vs. aesthetic guns. It's pointless, and I bet I'm more capable with my 'antiques' than most are with their high tech, newfangled, plastic, ugly POS'. ;p

In addition to that, I still don't understand why some people feel the need to arm themselves as if they might suddenly encounter a ninja army. I mean, six is plenty, twelve is a lot, and when you have a modern semi, with two, three, or more additional magazines, you're starting to be paranoid about an impending zombie apocalypse. I personally only carry as a political statement or simply because I want to carry a gun. Because I'm an ass, and really don't care what people think. I think that those who feel the need to arm themselves to the hilt, and especially those who denigrate the people who choose lesser or no arms, to be paranoid to the point of missing the purpose of life. I'd rather life happily for one day, than to live 100 years - every day in fear for my life. Death will come when it comes.

Rant aside, I really am curious to see what six-shooters people carry. Or one-shooters, if that's your thing. I love the old west, and like whenever I get to see the modern incarnation. I apologize
for the lack of pictures on my part, I'll have to get my wife to take a couple this weekend if we get a chance.

Post away!

WalkingWolf

I was sorry to see that thread go the way it did, but I agree with you completely.

I carry two 1851 Navies, one is a 5.5 inch cartridge conversion 38 special that is extremely accurate. The backup is a avenging angel with a 3 inch barrel cap and ball. The cartridge loops on the belt are more for nostalgia, there is no speed loading a gated revolver. Though I do carry a spare cylinder for the avenging angel, I also carry a 45/70 case converted into a wedge puller in a cartridge loop. Considering the belt is already heavy I stopped carrying my custom knife for a N10 Opinel knife, it only weighs a couple ounces. Holsters are not western, both in the style Tom Threepersons, one strong side, and one crossdraw.

Like you on some days I just carry my 1911, but since I do not carry a bug with it, I put the fixed blade knife on the belt.

Yea Yea I know it is the Colorado thread, but I love my old guns. Even my wife has taken to carrying my old Star Super instead of her shiny snub nose.

MKEgal

Alamo Jack said:
since the thread on ocing a Ruger .44 Blackhawk got locked, a little arbitrarily I might add
You're welcome to start your own site & make your own rules.
The moderators usually aren't horribly arbitrary & capricious, and often give warning, or it's very obvious that rules have been broken.

Here's irony:
I carry an Uberti .45 SA, on a cartridge loop belt, with an 8 inch Bowie on the other hip to balance the weight.
If I'm feeling ornery, I'll carry my BP Walker on my right hip, with my BP army .44 on my left, ambidextrous draw.
I still don't understand why some people feel the need to arm themselves as if they might suddenly encounter a ninja army...
I think that those who feel the need to arm themselves to the hilt... to be paranoid

six is plenty, twelve is a lot
Given that under stress even well-trained officers miss with half their shots,
and given that it's rare to have a 1-shot stop,
having 6 rounds might stop 1 attacker and having 12 rounds might stop 2.
For an attacker who's on drugs, all 6 might not do enough damage in time to save yourself.
(And for those in more rural areas, how many shots does it take to stop a 4-legged predator?)

Have you read news stories about mob attacks across the country?
http://violentflashmobs.com/
http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/homepage-feature/item/24605-teen-mob-attacks-spring-up-across-us

Have you read news stories about the "knockout king" "game"?
http://acpionline.com/2012/10/29/knockout-king/
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45783310/...brand-street-violence-targets-random-victims/
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/24/unprovoked-attacks-at-heart-knockout-king/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...he-sickening-game-claiming-lives-country.html

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I occasionally carry my 7.5" Vaquero .45 in a Western belt and holster, and when attending a rally or group walk, including downtown Las Vegas, I often make a point to wear this rig.

This is actually one of the few times I'm carrying extra ammunition, as it is a full cartridge loop belt.

My most often carried OC piece is a double-action revolver, a S&W 625 4" .45 ACP in Milt Sparks shark skin.

WalkingWolf

For the answer on a four legged predator, while charging it took one bullet to stop. The second to end his suffering. And a charging pit bull is moving faster than a larger person. But then I have hit rabbits on the run with one shot, last year shot a possum in the middle of a fight with my dog, one shot. And that was not with a magnum, not even close to one. When I felt better before the heart attacks I hiked with a single shot rifle where bears were common. Had a friend who shot a bear charging his son and dropped the bear with one shot from a 5.56 which is not known as a reliable bear stopper.

You can't get much more stress than a charging bear or pitbull. This isn't from years of training either, I learned to shoot accurately under stress by my fathers common sense teaching. It is nothing more than a matter of self control and discipline that can be taught to anyone. Maybe some people need more shots than the OP or I, that should not direct how we carry.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I occasionally carry my 7.5" Vaquero .45 in a Western belt and holster, and when attending a rally or group walk, including downtown Las Vegas, I often make a point to wear this rig.

This is actually one of the few times I'm carrying extra ammunition, as it is a full cartridge loop belt.

My most often carried OC piece is a double-action revolver, a S&W 625 4" .45 ACP in Milt Sparks shark skin.

I wish I had a 45 Smith, I'm jealous...

fighting_for_freedom

Make gal:

I have no interest in starting my own forum. As this is an open carry forum, I should assume it would suffice.

I say arbitrarily because there was an active discussion going, on (basically) the OP's topic. Maybe a little name-calling and the like, but it was a discussion nonetheless. Either party could have opted out if they felt the need to do so. There was no one-sided slandering.

I really don't care about these statistics. If one cared to research the town I live in, they'd find a tiny little place, not even worth mentioning. The only crime worth mentioning in the last 10 years was a bar fight where a guy got stabbed.

It only takes one shot to kill a bear. Ask the two that tried to eat my dog.

If a person wishes to carry an arsenal, fine with me. I've just become tired of those who put down us who do not.

I rarely carry, and have only done so twice for actual protection. I am not afraid of life, and I'm gonna die sooner or later. Why spend my life in fear?

WalkingWolf

Alamo I am not sure you are the same, but I am deliberate. That is one of the things my father taught me, he was the best shot I ever saw, outside the people like Munden. I drive a vehicle the same way, it has kept me out of several accidents. And I sure as heck ride a motorcycle by the same process. Anytime a situation turns south it takes self control, to maintain a level head. And being the fastest is not always best. No reason to dilly dally, but to make those shots takes being able to maintain focus, and keep breathing, while keeping a level head. The very design of a SA revolver makes thinking imperative, or being very well trained in their use. My father was the most level headed man I have ever known, I am glad he gave me a sliver of his wisdom.

fighting_for_freedom

I think you are talking about accuracy and not chucking lead, are you not? It is true, from what I have personally seen, that when your shots are limited, you tend to place them quite a bit more carefully, even under stress.

WalkingWolf

I think you are talking about accuracy and not chucking lead, are you not? It is true, from what I have personally seen, that when your shots are limited, you tend to place them quite a bit more carefully, even under stress.

It is about self control, and not losing those basic principles that control accuracy. And yes when you know you have only six, or only a double barrel, or a single shot, you take a breath and make them count. But the philosophy is not just shooting, it works with all times in life when the SHTF, getting exited is not the way to survive.

Maybe if you are a NASCAR fan that will help~~the car in the lead at the beginning of the race, or even the fastest car is not always the recipient of the checkered flag. Not actually a NASCAR fan, but I thought it was a good way to explain it. Or another would be my father again when I was very young. I was riding with on a ice run for the farm when he stopped at a intersection in the city. He was approached by a thug with a knife demanding money. My father calmly reached up for the ice tongs and clocked him on the head, then drove calmly to the police station to report it. Not once did he get excited.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I'm glad for that.

Sorry, just had to. :p

But in all seriousness, I do agree with you. The calmer head does prevail. When in a stressful situation, it is best to think before acting.

I've come across this a few times, only in words. A carefully chosen comment goes a lot farther than one spoken in haste.

Thanks I went back and fixed it. But yes you get exactly what I am talking about.

RandallFlagg

And a charging pit bull is moving faster than a larger person.

Man! You're not kidding!
My Wife and I had the pleasure of getting charged at by a huge American Bulldog while taking our dog outside for a potty run. Thing came out of nowhere from across the street at a full run at us. Thankfully, I had my .45 XDm and my 1000 lumen flashlight. After drawing with pistol and light, activating the light straight in it's face and screaming, "STOP!!!" it turned and ran like hell. About scared us all to death. Glad I didn't have to fire, too.

Dog's owner got QUITE the butt-chewing, and got rid of the dog the next day.

got_heat

I carry (a lot) a 4.75" Traditions .45LC. I say "to each their own". I carry it because I like the looks of the old west pistols. It also offers plenty of fire power. If you can't get it done in 6 rounds, then you should probably not be shooting anywhere that there is a crowd.

Yooper

I carry (a lot) a 4.75" Traditions .45LC. I say "to each their own". I carry it because I like the looks of the old west pistols. It also offers plenty of fire power. If you can't get it done in 6 rounds, then you should probably not be shooting anywhere that there is a crowd.

Unless they don't go down with 6 rounds:
http://www.policeone.com/police-her...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/
http://www.lawofficer.com/article/training/officer-down-peter-soulis-inci
http://www.policemag.com/channel/pa...-fired-skokie-illinois-08-25-2008/page/2.aspx

My friends dad dropped a charging black bear with a .22Mag revolver, 1 shot, but on the other hand, my uncle shot 14 times at a white tail deer before it died. The deer had 7 bullets in it, and several more where it was obvious that the bullet went right through.

Sometimes 6 is plenty, sometimes it's not nearly enough.

fighting_for_freedom

It's nice to see that I'm not the only person around here who likes to carry classic guns. I'd have a meet and greet/target pistol shoot out at my place if I didn't live out here in the middle of nowhere.

As far as needing more rounds, I personally couldn't care less if someone wants to have lots of firepower. More power to you, literally. I just don't feel the need for it, myself. Plus, I like the feel of a good old SA revolver, much for the same reason I wear a jean jacket and my old beat up golf cap. Feels good...

got_heat

Like I said "to each their own". I don't think one should be condescending on another based on what type/size gun they carry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran